States that won't be battlegrounds in the next 20 years (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:25:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  States that won't be battlegrounds in the next 20 years (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: States that won't be battlegrounds in the next 20 years  (Read 2379 times)
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: December 08, 2013, 06:04:39 PM »

Which states do you think will not be battleground states in (non-landslide) elections over the next 20 years?
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 12:18:25 AM »

I'd say that's right, except I'd make Washington red.

Yeah that's the one state that stuck out to me, too. But I guess it also depends on what you consider a non-landslide election.

These are the states that I don't think will ever be the "tipping point state" over the next 20 years. I'm open to persuasion.

Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 09:01:27 PM »

I can't see how Texas becomes a "tipping point" state in the next 20 years.

This map actually looks pretty plausible to me as a future close election.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 05:30:52 PM »

Interesting thoughts on Maine, thanks for sharing.

So if the Dems take the Southwestern and/or Southeastern states, presumably the national Republican Party would be forced to move towards the center, at least in some ways, in order to compete in the Midwest (and/or win over swing voters in the SW and SE). If, in the future, the GOP's electoral strength stems from the Midwest and Interior West, where would the GOP target next?
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 03:10:39 PM »

I think the general theory is that if the Democrats start doing better in the Southwest and/or Southeast, the Republicans will have to do better in the Midwest, which would presumably mean winning more white votes (which I guess would bring Oregon into the GOP column as well).
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 12:43:36 AM »

It's possible that a) the country continues moving to the left on social issues, b)the Republican Party continues to be a socially conservative party, and c)those positions alienate voters to the point that the GOP can't win the Midwest. I do think that this will be a major issue for the GOP. But we can't just assume the GOP won't be able to adapt, or take for granted that the country will keep moving to the left.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies