States that won't be battlegrounds in the next 20 years (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:42:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  States that won't be battlegrounds in the next 20 years (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: States that won't be battlegrounds in the next 20 years  (Read 2380 times)
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« on: December 09, 2013, 11:08:25 PM »

I only considered the following states battlegrounds last year: New Hampshire, Virginia, Ohio, Florida, North Carolina, Iowa, Nevada, Colorado,

Of those - I think Virginia, Colorado, and Nevada are the ones that won't be battlegrounds.  Those will be moderately lean democrat states the same way Wisconsin and Pennsylvania were in 2012... the GOP can make a credible threat but it will be largely ignored.

I think Florida is moving democratic but I have to think the current GOP is going to put all its resources into the state... if that falls off the battleground list, game over for the GOP.

I could actually see Iowa moving off the battleground list in favor of the GOP.  Ohio could also move right. 

I think New Hampshire and North Carolina stay put as battlegrounds for a long long time.  North Carolina is definitely lean right now, but I think it will be pure tossup in 20 years.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 12:14:37 AM »

Big question what happens to the South once the Republicans ditch social conservatism and evangelicals how do they vote without the GOP pushing wedge issues like abortion and gay marriage.

If the Republicans ditched social conservatism, they would probably still vote Republican for other issues such as health care, gun rights, environmentalism. 

somehow the GOP has convinced them that the oil companies are aligned with their interests because their gas is 2c a gallon cheaper.  plus, it seems like states with the highest concentrations of blacks and white evangelicals have the most polarized racial politics... so there's still that.     
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 11:04:13 PM »

Why would any of those states go Republican without major policy changes.  Public opinion in Oregon already favors gay marriage, it won't even be an issue in 20 years there when Republicans will presumably still be making homophobic and absurd statements every election.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies