Flags (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:48:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Flags (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Flags  (Read 2213 times)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« on: December 12, 2013, 10:33:52 AM »

There's been something of an uptick in patriotism/nationalism in Canada under Dear Leader Harper. There's a lot of stuff about Canada being "the best country in the world" (incessantly parroted by the Tories), symbolic displays of nationalism and promotion of nationalist themes. The most egregious example being the government's (inadvertently hilarious) War of 1812 remembrance campaign, which consisted largely of nationalist myths and historical misrepresentations. For slightly less symbolic displays, there's the heavy promotion of Canadian sovereignty in the Arctic and "Canada's North" which I find somewhat disturbing or annoying.

In Ottawa/Ontario, there are a lot of Canadian flags, obviously on all public/federal buildings, public schools and other public spaces but also many private houses/businesses. Playing O Canada at the beginning of every sport event is universal and they played O Canada at the beginning of every school day in high school. In obvious contrast, Canadian flags in Quebec indicate (a) something owned by the federal government or (b) federalists. The provincial flag is obviously far more widespread in Quebec and contrasts with Ottawa, where the ugly provincial flag is very rarely seen.

Indeed. The Ontario flag, just like the NZ flag is imperialist sh*t. Which is why you don't see them much in either place. I'm sure you see that black kiwi flag a lot more in NZ than the blue ensign (is that what it's called?) Both the American flag and the Canadian flags are quite iconic, and so it's easier for people to have pride in flying them.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 12:19:15 PM »

I was going to say that not even I own an Ontario flag, but that's not true. I do own a set of mini desktop territorial & provincial flags that I had been using to try to teach our 3 year old the provincial flags. I haven't been keeping it up, but ironically, she can only identify the Ontario flag correctly. She also thinks BC is Britain (understandably).

I should go back to teaching her national flags. At one point she kept demanding I open up a map of Europe from Wikipedia will all the flags on it. But, lately we've been teaching her more practical things, like you know... the alphabet.

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 02:02:17 PM »

That's a really cool idea, I wonder where I could get curtains like those?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 04:56:09 PM »

We just got Target in Ottawa few months ago. I've yet to step foot in one though. Apparently there is a bed bath and beyond very close to where I live. Who knew. I didn't even know if there was one here.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies