Milennials are the leftiest generation since FDR
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:14:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Milennials are the leftiest generation since FDR
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Milennials are the leftiest generation since FDR  (Read 1818 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 10, 2013, 12:55:56 AM »

http://knowmore.washingtonpost.com/2013/12/09/millennials-are-the-leftiest-generation-since-fdr/

Will this put to rest the myth that millennials are moving the country rightward?
RedSLC
SLValleyMan
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 01:01:16 AM »

Not surprised that those who turned 18 under Carter and Reagan's administrations are and always have been more likely to support republicans. These people's impressions of the two parties were pretty much permanently cemented by these two administrations.

By contrast, the same thing can also be said about the more democratic younger generations who grew up during the last three administrations.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 01:28:19 AM »

Great Depression and Great Recession, duh. The conservative age groups got everything handed to them.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 02:04:56 AM »

Wait did a post from miles srsly get deleted?
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 02:05:33 AM »

Wait did a post from miles srsly get deleted?

No, deleted it myself.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 09:28:22 AM »

Will this put to rest the myth that millennials are moving the country rightward?

It is still plausible that younger millennials are more conservative than older millennials, that the 18-24 cohort is still up for grabs whereas the 25-30 group is set in stone as the strongest cohort for Dems their entire lives.

Those of us who were kids under Clinton, young adults in the Bush years, who came of age in a flurry of hanging chads, are certainly more likely to stick with the Dems, whereas younger folks who only know Obama's presidency might be more willing to toy with other options: libertarians, Pubs, leftist third parties, etc.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 10:14:09 PM »

It is still plausible that younger millennials are more conservative than older millennials, that the 18-24 cohort is still up for grabs whereas the 25-30 group is set in stone as the strongest cohort for Dems their entire lives.

Those of us who were kids under Clinton, young adults in the Bush years, who came of age in a flurry of hanging chads, are certainly more likely to stick with the Dems, whereas younger folks who only know Obama's presidency might be more willing to toy with other options: libertarians, Pubs, leftist third parties, etc.
I think the 25-early 30s group of the generation have become distinct from the younger half of the Millennial generation.  But I really don't think it'll be any more or less liberal than the younger half.  Even if they weren't teens when Bush was elected, they still remember 9/11 and the latter years of the Bush presidency... which were his worst.  They don't remember the heady 80+% approvals he got after 9/11.

I think the generation was originally very open to Democrats.  But the Democrats have been disappointing and as economic growth hasn't sped up and things have remained pretty awful for young people, they have been pushed further and further left.

And the people coming up behind us are following in our footsteps and are actively adopting those ideologies and those lifestyles even while the older Millennials were initially reticent to do so due to the expectations of prosperity and that things owuld get better.

Obviously there are events that take place that shape the political direction of each generation (they don't always coincide with cultural generations).  While 9/11 was a big impact, like the Kennedy assassination... it didn't have nearly the psychological scars (a one time event) that the Great Recession did.. just as the oil crisis and stagflation impacted those same people that remembered Kennedy's assassination.

I also think older Millennials actually have more left-wing positions than they'll admit.  When asked issue by issue they almost always identify with the center or even far left... yet they would consider themselves "independents".

This disconnect is what is going to lead to the massive change that is likely already in the pipeline.  We know what we want.  We know nothing in the current paradigm will allow it to happen.  We want a new paradigm.  F**k all with the old one.
Oak Hills
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 10:29:11 PM »

I was unaware that such a myth was out there.
Mordecai
Australia

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 10:30:12 PM »

If your earliest memories of national politics are the Clinton and Bush administrations it's no wonder you'd vote Democratic.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2013, 12:23:15 AM »

While it's true that Dems are losing the youngest of the millennials, the GOP isn't anywhere near being able to capitalize on that. I think the difference between the "old millennials" and the "new millennials" is: "Yeah! Change!" vs. "Ugh, the Republicans suck so bad, I'll need to vote Democratic as the lesser of two evils."
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2013, 02:10:16 AM »

I think the 25-early 30s group of the generation have become distinct from the younger half of the Millennial generation.  But I really don't think it'll be any more or less liberal than the younger half.  Even if they weren't teens when Bush was elected, they still remember 9/11 and the latter years of the Bush presidency... which were his worst.  They don't remember the heady 80+% approvals he got after 9/11.

I think the generation was originally very open to Democrats.  But the Democrats have been disappointing and as economic growth hasn't sped up and things have remained pretty awful for young people, they have been pushed further and further left.

And the people coming up behind us are following in our footsteps and are actively adopting those ideologies and those lifestyles even while the older Millennials were initially reticent to do so due to the expectations of prosperity and that things owuld get better.

Obviously there are events that take place that shape the political direction of each generation (they don't always coincide with cultural generations).  While 9/11 was a big impact, like the Kennedy assassination... it didn't have nearly the psychological scars (a one time event) that the Great Recession did.. just as the oil crisis and stagflation impacted those same people that remembered Kennedy's assassination.

I also think older Millennials actually have more left-wing positions than they'll admit.  When asked issue by issue they almost always identify with the center or even far left... yet they would consider themselves "independents".

This disconnect is what is going to lead to the massive change that is likely already in the pipeline.  We know what we want.  We know nothing in the current paradigm will allow it to happen.  We want a new paradigm.  F**k all with the old one.
I think he's talking about the snowstalker part of millenial generation, not you and I since our positions are much closer than the sagers which will likely end up more conservative.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2013, 02:43:46 AM »

I think he's talking about the snowstalker part of millenial generation, not you and I since our positions are much closer than the sagers which will likely end up more conservative.

Is it really fair to plop an entire group of people as "the snowstalker part of the millenial generation"? I was born roughly around the same time as he--though I am, of course, older--and don't take kindly to that kind of labeling.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2013, 03:23:42 AM »

He meant in the age context, Cath.

philly09

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2013, 04:01:52 AM »

Since when are people who were 49 in 2012 considered "Gen X"?
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2013, 05:45:46 AM »

Since their mid-life crises.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2013, 05:46:46 AM »

I've always been told I'm Gen X and I'm in my middle forties.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2013, 08:45:59 AM »

With Mandela passing, a lot of his ideas and Malcolm X and Dr King ideas were expressed through Maxism. Reagan, Cheney, and Thatcher opposed sanctions on South Africa due to the threat of Communism. The Great Depression v Great Recession voting behavior is due to the conservative bent of US due to revolutions' threat of the spread of communism. But apartheid or segregation is morally wrong.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2013, 08:59:29 AM »

Good news.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2013, 01:22:38 PM »

Hardly surprising. The idea that the young anywhere in the west are right-wing or 'libertarian' is a fantasy.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2013, 01:27:16 PM »

Hardly surprising. The idea that the young anywhere in the west are right-wing or 'libertarian' is a fantasy.

The right wing doesn't give the young any room given that it's developed over the last thirty years into the self serving ideology of the reactionary baby-boomer generation.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2013, 01:31:50 PM »

The right wing doesn't give the young any room given that it's developed over the last thirty years into the self serving ideology of the reactionary baby-boomer generation.
George Carlin pretty much nailed the baby boomers:

"It's MINE... that's MINE GIVE IT TO ME IT'S MINE!!!"

Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2013, 01:50:53 PM »

And us millenials are any different?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2013, 01:58:49 PM »

Yes. We are placated with technology yet we can't afford property, often can't afford further education, have been stuck in a six year downturn, have decreasing access to decent pensions and will generally have to work longer, harder and get taxed more to sustain our parents. Remember that those aged 50-60 are the richest cohort with money tied up in pension funds, property and shares and have the highest rates of pay and disposable income and they are all now retiring.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2013, 02:02:19 PM »

Millennial may have the same sense of entitlement, but the difference is that while boomers have got everything handed to them once they entered the work force, millennial haven't. But they feel they should have it handed to them like their parents.

My mother is a good example of this. With just a high school education, and a unilingual anglophone, she got a pretty good government job right out of high school. Nowadays, you need at least a Bachelor's Degree and need to be bilingual to get an equivalent job. And a lot of luck.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2013, 02:18:07 PM »

Yes. We are placated with technology yet we can't afford property, often can't afford further education, have been stuck in a six year downturn, have decreasing access to decent pensions and will generally have to work longer, harder and get taxed more to sustain our parents. Remember that those aged 50-60 are the richest cohort with money tied up in pension funds, property and shares and have the highest rates of pay and disposable income and they are all now retiring.

Yes, speaking as a Gen X'r, everyone at least a few years younger than me trying to start out got a raw deal.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies