Study: 'Successful' auto bailout of GM, Chrysler saved millions of jobs, $284B i
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:42:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Study: 'Successful' auto bailout of GM, Chrysler saved millions of jobs, $284B i
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Study: 'Successful' auto bailout of GM, Chrysler saved millions of jobs, $284B i  (Read 627 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 10, 2013, 11:20:15 AM »

Study: 'Successful' auto bailout of GM, Chrysler saved millions of jobs, $284B in personal income

http://www.mlive.com/auto/index.ssf/2013/12/study_successful_auto_bailout.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Remember how the Republicans threw a fit about this?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 11:45:27 AM »

When even The Economist decided to stop spinning the results of the auto bailout and eventually do a straight-up mea culpa, the success of the policy is question is probably inarguable by non-crazy people.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 11:57:11 AM »

The 'public/private' dichotomy really is perfect nonsense.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 12:32:38 PM »

While normal people would obviously be glad that millions of jobs were saved, Republicans are not. That's what you need to understand. Because the jobs saved were union jobs, where the workers are paid living wages, given healthcare and pensions, rather than the slave wages that auto workers in the South are paid. The goal of Republican policy is to destroy these jobs, not to save them.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 01:50:49 PM »

I'm still a little disappointed that the government decided to sell the remaining GM shares yesterday.  Obama had the opportunity to steer the company away from the internal combustion engine and refurbish it so that GM could make things that we need and are better for the environment.  I get that no one wanted the government to be in the business of making cars, but there should have at least been a guarantee that GM would continue to improve and rebuild itself.  But of course, you can't get everything you want.

Lief, weren't all those wages and benefits cut over the last few years?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 04:08:11 PM »

I'm still a little disappointed that the government decided to sell the remaining GM shares yesterday.  Obama had the opportunity to steer the company away from the internal combustion engine and refurbish it so that GM could make things that we need and are better for the environment.  I get that no one wanted the government to be in the business of making cars, but there should have at least been a guarantee that GM would continue to improve and rebuild itself.  But of course, you can't get everything you want.

Corporatism f[inks] yeah! Tongue
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 04:30:17 PM »

Corporatism f[inks] yeah! Tongue

FTR, I generally dislike bailouts and government involvement with corporations in principle, but in practice the positives tend to outweigh the negatives if done correctly.  I think we could have at least gotten something good out of it since the opportunity was there.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies