Rich Texas kid gets no jail time for killing 4 with his defense of being rich
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:48:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Rich Texas kid gets no jail time for killing 4 with his defense of being rich
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Rich Texas kid gets no jail time for killing 4 with his defense of being rich  (Read 6952 times)
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 11, 2013, 08:25:33 PM »

http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/11/us/texas-teen-dwi-wreck/

A judge has sentenced a teenager in Texas to 10 years' probation for driving drunk and causing a crash that left two people severely injured and four others dead.

... a psychologist called by the defense described Couch as a product of "affluenza." He reportedly testified the teen's family felt wealth bought privilege, and that Couch's life could be turned around with one to two years of treatment and no contact with his parents.

"We are disappointed by the punishment assessed but have no power under the law to change or overturn it. Our thoughts and prayers are with the families and we regret that this outcome has added to the pain and suffering they have endured," said Assistant District Attorney Richard Alpert.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 08:28:55 PM »

I miss the hanging.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 08:34:24 PM »

10 years' probation and the emotional stress are sufficient for a teenager. What's wrong with you people?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 08:36:22 PM »

10 years' probation and the emotional stress are sufficient for a teenager. What's wrong with you people?

I would agree, but there's plenty of teenagers out there who wouldn't get probation in this case.
danny
Israel

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 08:37:04 PM »

So they are going to treat his "affliction" of thinking that being rich brings special privileges, by giving him a special privilege for being rich. Great plan
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 08:38:39 PM »

I would agree, but there's plenty of teenagers out there who wouldn't get probation in this case.

White ones? Rich ones?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 08:39:03 PM »

And people think I'm being overly strict when I advocate the use of the death penalty in the case of DUI homicides. (Or at the very least treating it as equivalent to any other first degree murder case.)  Tho to be fair I don't advocate the death penalty for juveline offenders.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2013, 08:39:57 PM »

And people think I'm being overly strict when I advocate the use of the death penalty in the case of DUI homicides.

You are. Car accidents can and do happen whether or not a driver is drunk. Death can result.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2013, 08:40:15 PM »

There's only one cure for being afflicted with affluence:

krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2013, 08:41:03 PM »

Execute him.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2013, 08:41:44 PM »

His parents would just buy a new one.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2013, 08:42:37 PM »

White ones? Rich ones?

Come on now.  They could have at least put 1-2 years of concurrent juvenile detention, which is filled with children locked up for lesser crimes, until he was 18 and then 8 years of probation.  

Since he has such a strong wealthy to support him when he got out, he could afford missing out two years of high school for killing two people and become a rehabilitated man.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2013, 08:43:59 PM »

White ones? Rich ones?

Come on now.  They could have at least put 1-2 years of concurrent juvenile detention, which is filled with children locked up for lesser crimes, until he was 18 and then 8 years of probation. 

Since he has such a strong wealthy to support him when he got out, he could afford missing out two years of high school for killing two people and become a rehabilitated man.

Alternatively, he was at high risk if detained, due to the violent and envious masses? Let's be honest- his whole group of friends is made up of morons. Why did he have people in the bed of his truck while driving around? LOL
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2013, 08:52:55 PM »

And people think I'm being overly strict when I advocate the use of the death penalty in the case of DUI homicides.

You are. Car accidents can and do happen whether or not a driver is drunk. Death can result.

And the chance is much much greater when one is drunk.  I'll admit to perhaps taking DUI a bit too personally.  I have a niece and nephew who lost their father a couple of decades ago as a result of a self-inflicted DUI fatality.  Fortunately no one else was in the vehicle, so no one else got hurt unless you count the tree.  But I got to witness first hand the harm having to unexpectedly attend a closed casket funeral can do to little ones.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2013, 08:54:28 PM »

Alternatively, he was at high risk if detained, due to the violent and envious masses?

Lawlessness within American prisons, especially at the juvenile level, is more upper middle class white myth.  Corrections corporations run them far more strictly today than in the past.

He wasn't going to a maximum security state pen environment.  It would have helped him more than hurt.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2013, 08:58:45 PM »

And the chance is much much greater when one is drunk. 

No doubt, but when most driving tests are simple enough to be completed while intoxicated, I think its worth noting that many people are so poor at driving that their sober state is more dangerous to others than someone at 0.11 bac or something. Back to the greater point, I think the death penalty is pretty extreme for just about anything. I can think of things worse than drunk driving to do on the road.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2013, 09:04:41 PM »

And people think I'm being overly strict when I advocate the use of the death penalty in the case of DUI homicides. (Or at the very least treating it as equivalent to any other first degree murder case.)

I totally agree with you.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2013, 09:07:29 PM »

Yeah, he should have been locked in juvenile hall until he was 18, at least. No way does he realize the seriousness of his actions after this.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2013, 09:08:16 PM »

No.  He got drunk and killed 4 people and severely injured 2 others.  He should definitely have done some prison time.  At least a few years (sentenced to 5, serve 3.5 or so)... plus another 5 years probation after the 5 year prison sentence.

When money is no matter to you, you should pay with your time.  Or at least made it hurt financially.

This f**K will be out drinking and driving in no time.  Just watch.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2013, 09:10:42 PM »

Hopefully, all of the victims' families will bring civil suits against the parents that'll bleed them dry. Then, when the murderer screws up again, he can go to regular prison like any other poor.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2013, 09:11:57 PM »

No.  He got drunk and killed 4 people and severely injured 2 others.  He should definitely have done some prison time. 

He's only 16. It's not like he pulled out a gun and started shooting people, he made a stupid drunken mistake that he will learn from. This particular individual has no income.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2013, 09:20:09 PM »

No.  He got drunk and killed 4 people and severely injured 2 others.  He should definitely have done some prison time. 

He's only 16. It's not like he pulled out a gun and started shooting people, he made a stupid drunken mistake that he will learn from. This particular individual has no income.

Yes, he is only a teenager, and he should be treated as one. That was the right move.

But he absolutely should have gotten the max as a teenager.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2013, 09:22:55 PM »

Would you have a problem if a poor kid in a stolen car got drunk and killed people and his counsel used the defense that his impoverished upbringing had created emotional stress and ennui that led him to engage in wreckless behavior? I'm sure you wouldn't and neither would I.

What would you prefer? The death penalty for manslaughter? Send him to prison for life? I think this was a perfectly acceptable sentence and would have no problem with it being applied regardless of this kid's socioeconomic status.

If he does indeed come from a wealthy family, the victims' family members could likely file a civil suit against his parents for wrongful death. At the very least, that is not an avenue of redress that would be available to them if their loved ones had been killed by a mere 99 Percenter.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2013, 09:51:59 PM »

This is the most absurd defence I've seen since the "Twinkie defence".
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2013, 10:33:33 PM »

People are targeting the wrong person. It's not the teen which should be hanged, but the judge, which is clearly incompetent and/or corrupt.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies