A Statement on the Pacific
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:19:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  A Statement on the Pacific
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: A Statement on the Pacific  (Read 1583 times)
Spamage
spamage
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 12, 2013, 12:35:41 AM »

The Pacific today is now longer the one of the past. While I cannot give a precise date to the death of the Old Pacific and the rise of the New Pacific I do have several guesses. Wolfentoad's scandals, the recall of NVGonzalez, and Operation Rimjob all come to mind. In the past the Pacific was concerned about governing itself, it's members today are concerned more on their prospects in Nyman than the success of their region. I'm not going to name names, but there's been too many who are in the Pacific promising activity and reform one day and packing their bags for Nyman the next, before any real work can be finished. I am running in the Council Election out of a sense of duty, not out of real want because I feel like I ought to do so in order to at least try to keep this sinking ship afloat. For it seems the crew has abandoned ship for Nyman while us poor souls who remain behind desperately try to keep dumping out the water of inactivity which increases by the day.
      Therefore I urge my fellow Pacificans, look for offices you could potentially run for. I don't care about your party affiliation, just on how sincere you are about fixing the region.

I may get criticism for this but its the truth and without substantial changes the Pacific will be worse than it was before I took office the first time over a year ago.
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 08:38:12 AM »

I just can't stop my Job as SoIA now, but I see what you mean....
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 02:48:24 PM »

What is/was Operation Rim Job?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 02:52:55 PM »
« Edited: December 13, 2013, 02:54:27 PM by Senator Maxwell »

Around May-ish, President Marokai put Xahar in charge of the pacific. Unaware of what was going to happen, Xahar pushed several other people to move to the Pacific, where they would be elected to the Pacific Council. From there, with the help of B.K., they wrote a constitution to where they could vote for the end of the Pacific.

That's the short form.
Enderman
Jack Enderman
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 03:09:39 PM »

wasn't there a thread that Kitteh had in her sig back in Summer? I was too lazy to click it because of reasons.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 04:50:33 PM »
« Edited: December 13, 2013, 05:18:14 PM by Temp. Speaker DemPGH »

A document by which a small cabal of individuals (some for fun, others out of malice) attempted to permanently dissolve the Pacific's government. It was not within an Astronomical Unit's distance of being Constitutional. So I took it to court as the attorney general and beat it. The Pacific was restored.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 08:18:25 PM »

Pray tell, hero, who was acting out of fun and who out of malice?
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2013, 08:30:31 PM »

Very well. I'll name names.

I'm very disappointed in Tyroin (with whom I'm currently in an argument with via PM) and his decision to abandon the Pacific halfway into his term. There's people (like him) saying "...there's a new constitution in the works, high activity, a fixed legislative record..." in the region. This is untrue.

I have many disagreements with several aspects of the new constitution. Although it's better than the old one, several aspects of it deeply alarm me. While normally open to compromise, several officials were unwilling to do so when I brought up the fact that the Second Amendment's "right to bear arms" was removed. How can I be expected to compromise my beliefs (as is becoming more and more common in the region) when no one else in compromising theirs? Is this truly compromise?

I would not call it "high activity" when everyone misses the filing deadline for running for Council. While yes bills are being passed, they are being crammed through by a devoted and dedicated governor who is managing a region on the brink. Without PJ activity levels would be much worse than where they are at present, but they still are sub par and not "high" in the slightest sense.

Also I would like to say, I'm taking criticism from this person unknown over my decision to run for President at a time when the region was in shambles. While I think I know who these came from, I'm going to address it with a general comment. Everything I have done for the Pacific has been in the best interest of the region. I re sparked activity last August at a time no one else was doing so, I recalled NVGonzalez in order to ensure the region at least had an active government, I worked to return the regional government despite operation rimjob. At that time I had just gotten off of a term as Governor, and the Council was full. There were no positions to be held and I was a little frustrated on the lack of progress being made in the region. How could I have abandoned the Pacific when the Pacific had already abandoned me?

I'm seriously beginning to take a different view on the region which has, in all truth, passed its expiration date. Unless serious changes our made to the system, I fail to see how the Pacific can truly be successful. I'm skeptical that the new constitution will result in any changes to the current state of the region.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2013, 08:32:07 PM »

So you are alive. Once again, I'd advise you to vote on TNF's amendment to abolish conscription.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2013, 08:51:21 PM »

While I'm not a member of the Pacific I do try to follow regional politics, and I think Spamage is right on this issue. We have reached a point in which even the Midwest has more activity (something hard to believe several months ago), and despite PJ's best efforts (and he has tried everything that is possible to help and save his region, the Pacific has reached the crossroads. The population numbers are higher than other regions, but even that advantage is negated by the inactive members of the NM-AM, and having some of the best Atlasians serving on the federal government when you do not lack candidates for those positions certainly does not help.

I don't think Superique or Spamage should be blamed for the Cabinet position or the Presidential round, though, since Superique has been in that position from a time in which the Pacific looked in the middle of a surge. At the same time, and speaking as the former running mate of Spamage, I joined his campaign because I believed (I still do) in his sincerity and his activity levels.

This gives further proof to the belief that our five regions are not sustainable right now. They might have been at some point, but they are not sustainable right now. Not when a high number of the population combines trolling with inactivity and an even greater number is comprised of elder statesmen who are a little bit tired of being officeholders after years of service (and I understand them). We need change!
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2013, 08:59:54 PM »

I did not runaway of the Pacific Region. When I was Speaker of the Pacific Council, everything was a huge mass, no one was interested on writting legislation, NVGonzalez was not really interested on being governor and our councillors were just elected for the sake of holding an office. This political inactivity made me mad about all of this because I wasn't finding a way to show my potential inside the Pacific Region. That is why I tried to be an At-Large Senator once, that is why I accepeted the job of SoIA (and I thank Averroes and my fellow friends in the Senate for aprooving me) and that is why I tried to be the Regional Senator of the Pacific. Unfortunately, things in the Pacific are still not that great and I want to help them, but I still believe that I'm doing a good job as Secretary of Treasury.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2013, 09:38:22 PM »

Very well. I'll name names.

I'm very disappointed in Tyroin (with whom I'm currently in an argument with via PM) and his decision to abandon the Pacific halfway into his term. There's people (like him) saying "...there's a new constitution in the works, high activity, a fixed legislative record..." in the region. This is untrue.

High activity isn't a good way of putting it, but there are quite clearly some very competent people in positions of power in the region. PJ, Flo, and DemPGH have been great, and Cinci was good while he was in the region, as well.

The new constitution in the works is a completely factual statement. Oakvale and I worked hard to get something workable on the Council floor, and PJ, Flo, and DemPGH have continued to work toward getting it to the people.

The fixed legislative record is a factual statement. PJ worked incredibly hard to get the legislative record up to date, and continues to do so. But please continue to try to shotgun the sh[inks] out of everyone in the Pacific, and see where that gets you.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Boo-freaking-hoo! You have a minority opinion! So, apparently, in your twisted world, people disagreeing with you is a sign that the region is broken? Sometimes, your beliefs don't align with the beliefs of your peers. It happens all the freaking time. Stop complaining that the system is broken just because you can't pass your agenda. We aren't a married couple; don't scream "Compromise!" and expect people to cave just because you hold a minority opinion.

And, I compromise fairly often in the Senate, and heck, I'd probably even find a way to compromise on the constitution. But YOU NEVER POSTED IN THE CONSTITUTION THREAD AFTER YOU BECAME A COUNCILLOR. See the problem?

Fair enough. PJ has done an excellent job. I commend his work. He has exceeded my expectations and gone above and beyond for the region.

Nice pithy quote at the end there, but let's not put a dress on a turd and call it a supermodel. You certainly worked hard (before my time) to get the region back in shape, but the tail end of your gubernatorial career saw forgotten elections and a region in disarray. I, for one, am glad for the positive changes you made during your governorship, but don't try to shift the narrative here. After your disastrous exit, you ran for President. Where exactly is the President seated, again? Oh right, Nyman. Let's not get ridiculous here.  

I mean, that's fine and all, but let's not make this into a measuring contest. If you're not content with how things have gone in the region, at least have the decency to look inward first.
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2013, 12:32:48 AM »

I've had enough. Over the last year I have spent much time, energy, and influence working to restore the Pacific only to have it all be dismissed by my successors. The energy invested by me was all a waste. The Pacific, now dominated by citizens who have no recollection of what life in the region was like a year ago, is headed in the wrong direction and while I wish them the best, it seems more and more likely that it will continue to fall flat on its face over the next couple of months. Perhaps I'll return someday, perhaps not.

Members of the Pacific say they want to improve the region, but very few actually act as though they do. Many work to advance their careers in Nyman while ignoring their home. While I have tremendous respect for PJ (he is one of the ones who truly wants the region to work) there are others who will be the death of the region.

I'm taking a break from the Pacific and will be moving somewhere else, probably the Midwest. To be honest, I've been thinking about doing this for some time, but this debacle has put me over the edge, its just not worth the arguing. Perhaps, while I don't agree with their methods, the NM-AM was right and the region ought to be ended. I'm sick of watching my region stumble from catastrophe to catastrophe, much to the horror of the rest of the nation. Its embarrassing and sad.

I will be resigning my seat on the Council. I wish those in the region the best of luck. This is not a retreat but a march out with my head held high. Griffin was right.

Farewell and good luck Pacific. It seems I've overstayed my welcome.
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2013, 10:19:08 AM »

I don't see the reason why you should leave the Pacific Region, Spamage. I still believe that you have a lot to contribute to this region and I don't really believe that you should leave the region because some are criticizing you. The problem of Internet is that the legacy of someone goes away really quickly, you did a very good job as Governor, even comparable to what Maxwell did in the Midwest, but most of the people who live in the Pacific now, don't remember your contribution to this region. You have been a great Governor with a fantastic job and you should show this for the Pacific Region. I think that what Tyrion is forgetting is that this whole mess started well after the end of your Second Term, Wolfentoad (God help him when he returns to this game) was Governor during that time and NVGonzalez was Governor after him and that was when all this mess on the Pacific Region restarted.

I think that both sides of the aisle have been criticizing to heavily one another, this a game after all and I think people should do what they please to do here in this game, even if that means that the NMAMers have also their trolling rights. Inactivity is not something that you could blame one person or another. What I suggest is keep living in the Pacific, keep it up as Councillor and do the fantastic job that you did when you were Governor.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2013, 10:35:52 AM »

Oh, come on. Look, I'm not going anywhere until we're merged with somebody (hopefully not the IDS), and if we can't get the new Const. approved and the number of councillors dropped to three, I don't see that the Council will even function. Spamage, you could quit after we did that. Why now?!? Or I might have to withdraw my case. Or just let the Council not function.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2013, 04:50:42 PM »

Superique, when have I ever indicated that I am anything less than thankful for the positive changes under Spamage?

Let's not dress this up. Spamage wanted to take a potshot for political gain. When it turned out that no one was really buying it, he moved on.

I am IMMENSELY frustrated that our former governor believes that he can act like this, and I urge everyone to take note of this behavior come election time (in the Midwest).
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2013, 04:52:31 PM »

The Pacific region and the Midwest region should merge. Honestly, the Midwest is actually active (GAworth,...), some problems need to be fixed. I will write a bill on this subject.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2013, 04:54:07 PM »

I tried that once, and got nowhere.
GAworth
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2013, 04:59:26 PM »

Superique, when have I ever indicated that I am anything less than thankful for the positive changes under Spamage?

Let's not dress this up. Spamage wanted to take a potshot for political gain. When it turned out that no one was really buying it, he moved on.

I am IMMENSELY frustrated that our former governor believes that he can act like this, and I urge everyone to take note of this behavior come election time (in the Midwest).

Noted
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2013, 04:59:28 PM »

The Pacific region and the Midwest region should merge. Honestly, the Midwest is actually active (GAworth,...), some problems need to be fixed. I will write a bill on this subject.

Such a merger would make sense, I agree.  I think the problem however, is that many people, more particularly the long-term Midwest residents would oppose such a merger.  The Pacific could easily turn around, as Spammage and others have shown in previous terms.  Obviously the problem is some either don't want that to happen, or are more interested in delay tactics.  PJ would be able to make some progress, given a couple reliable Councilors and actual discussion regarding the constitution.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2013, 05:02:04 PM »

With all due respect I have to you Tyrian, there isn't actually election in the Midwest.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2013, 05:22:38 PM »

It is disingenuous, to be nice, I have to say, to make a big speech about getting involved to get involved and to throw everybody under the bus for pursuing federal office, then get a bunch of votes, and leave the damn region in the middle of an election. That's pretty bad. And there's inactivity preceding it too.

If the region physically ceases to function, I'll head to the Midwest or back to the Northeast when eligible. But I don't want to. This region is Challenge Accepted.

Haha. I have a question. If they brought you up for expulsion, and they wouldn't because they don't have the stomach for it, but if they did, would you show up to vote No?

sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2013, 05:24:37 PM »

I think Tyrion is a better Senator than Governor -- but I rather him have stayed as Governor.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2013, 05:27:04 PM »

With all due respect I have to you Tyrian, there isn't actually election in the Midwest.

We just had a competitive Senate and Althing election, Windjammer, and we are going to have a competitive election for my successor. They are not as competitive as the Mideast elections are, but we are getting better as time goes on.

That said, I oppose a Midwest-Pacific merge, it would be a quick and rushed up solution that would fail to solve the main problem.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2013, 05:32:49 PM »

Well, I wasn't necessarily talking about the Althing, although that point is well-taken Smiley
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies