Christie and Appalachia
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 06:51:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Christie and Appalachia
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Christie and Appalachia  (Read 1267 times)
henster
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 12, 2013, 09:44:50 PM »

How do you think Christie performs against Clinton in coal country in 2016? I don't see Christie as a big supporter of coal since he's one of those rare Republicans who believe in climate change. If Clintons plays this right she could make the whole region competitive, I see Christie under performing big here against her.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 09:51:57 PM »
« Edited: December 12, 2013, 09:57:50 PM by Kevin »

How do you think Christie performs against Clinton in coal country in 2016? I don't see Christie as a big supporter of coal since he's one of those rare Republicans who believe in climate change. If Clintons plays this right she could make the whole region competitive, I see Christie under performing big here against her.

Being a national Democrat( as of now) seems poisonous in Appalachia. Ex. Just look at how "pro-coal" "Clinton" Democrats performed in this region in 2010, 2012, and the 2013 VA governor's Race. Ex. in 2013 Terry McAffule was butchered in the VA parts of the area while a pro-coal Democrat with White working class appeal(Ralph Northam)-the Lt. Gov. candidate didn't perform much better against the certifiability batsh**t E.W. Jackson.

So I am very skeptical that Hillary will do any better then Obama did in Appalachia in 2016(Even against Christie).
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 09:55:55 PM »

Being a national Democrat( as of now) seems poisonous in Appalachia. Ex. Just look at how "pro-coal" "Clinton" Democrats performed in this region in 2010, 2012, and the 2013 VA governor's Race. Terry McAffule was butchered in the VA parts of the area while a pro-coal Democrat with White working class appeal(Ralph Northam)-the Lt. Gov. candidate didn't performed much better against the certifiability batsh**t E.W. Jackson.

So I am very skeptical that Hillary will do any better then Obama did in Appalachia in 2016(Even against Christie).

What?
moderatevoter
ModerateVAVoter

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 10:02:39 PM »

Being a national Democrat( as of now) seems poisonous in Appalachia. Ex. Just look at how "pro-coal" "Clinton" Democrats performed in this region in 2010, 2012, and the 2013 VA governor's Race. Terry McAffule was butchered in the VA parts of the area while a pro-coal Democrat with White working class appeal(Ralph Northam)-the Lt. Gov. candidate didn't performed much better against the certifiability batsh**t E.W. Jackson.

What?

I believe he means like in the rural areas - Southwest Virginia.
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 10:04:09 PM »

Being a national Democrat( as of now) seems poisonous in Appalachia. Ex. Just look at how "pro-coal" "Clinton" Democrats performed in this region in 2010, 2012, and the 2013 VA governor's Race. Ex. in 2013 Terry McAffule was butchered in the VA parts of the area while a pro-coal Democrat with White working class appeal(Ralph Northam)-the Lt. Gov. candidate didn't perform much better against the certifiability batsh**t E.W. Jackson.

McAuliffe did not run as a pro-coal Democrat if anything he was probably the most anti-coal candidate to run and win in Virginia ever. West Virginia and Kentucky are still strongly Democrat downballot Clinton is the perfect candidate for these areas whereas Christie is your typical Northeastern Republican who supports gun control, climate change etc.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 10:07:46 PM »

What?

I believe he means like in the rural areas - Southwest Virginia.

Yes that's what I mean

No Democrat has won in SW VA since 2008 and the only county in that area that since is Montgomery County VA. Which is the home of Virginia Tech which skews the areas demographics.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 10:10:51 PM »

McAuliffe did not run as a pro-coal Democrat if anything he was probably the most anti-coal candidate to run and win in Virginia ever. West Virginia and Kentucky are still strongly Democrat downballot Clinton is the perfect candidate for these areas whereas Christie is your typical Northeastern Republican who supports gun control, climate change etc.

Still we have no reason to believe Hillary will perform any better then Obama.

Even Mitt Romney who was a Mormon from Massachusetts who routinely flipped-flopped between a New England moderate and a conservative destroyed Obama in this area of the country.

henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2013, 10:17:08 PM »

Still we have no reason to believe Hillary will perform any better then Obama.

Even Mitt Romney who was a Mormon from Massachusetts who routinely flipped-flopped between a New England moderate and a conservative destroyed Obama in this area of the country.

Ya but any Republican would've performed that way against Obama just because he's such a bad fit for the region. Appalachia was one of Clinton's strongest areas during the primaries and I see a lot of these voters coming home to her in 2016 after being turned off by Obama. I'm not saying she could outright win these states but she could at least pull off a Kerryesque performance there bringing states like WV and KY within single digits.
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2013, 10:20:19 PM »

This thread is a good opportunity to ask (since the last time I asked this question, it was never answered)... why is the coal region so favorable to the Clintons when they are not pro-coal by any sense of the word?
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2013, 10:29:10 PM »

This thread is a good opportunity to ask (since the last time I asked this question, it was never answered)... why is the coal region so favorable to the Clintons when they are not pro-coal by any sense of the word?

The Clintons were never as anti-coal as Obama has been with all these regulations and stuff that is devastating the region.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2013, 10:47:28 PM »

I've very skeptical of any significant rebound for the Dems in Appalachia.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2013, 03:38:37 AM »

Because they're white and can speak with Upland South accents when it is politically beneficial for them to do so.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2013, 03:56:28 AM »

Because they're white and can speak with Upland South accents when it is politically beneficial for them to do so.

Byrd always said that Democrats needed coal dust on their hands to win West Virginia. Maybe the problem is that it would be hard to tell with Obama, because he's black.
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2013, 12:02:03 AM »

I think Hillary could rebound from Obama 2012 in places like Mingo and Logan, WV...as in losing them 60-40 rather than 70-30 or worse.
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2013, 12:27:54 AM »

Christie is a very bad fit for the region I could see Clinton bringing these races to single digits within 2-4 points. Anything of a scenario where Christie actually comes out against coal and supports some regulation he already believes in climate change. Two anti-coal candidates how does Appalachia vote?
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2013, 12:29:33 AM »

In 2008, John McCain not only acknowledged climate change, but he also supported Cap-and-Trade legislation for greenhouse gases.  So, arguably, Obama lost ground in 2008 compared to Kerry due to race and perceived foreignness, rather than issues.  After all, in effect, both candidates were anti-coal and sane on environmental issues.

Then, in 2012, Republicans went into full-fledged anti-environment mode.  So, Obama dealt with the double whammy of being less popular overall and running at a disadvantage on the coal/environment issue.

So, the question is in 2016: how would Christie run on the environmental issues?  Is he going to support cap-and-trade, the free market solution pioneered under moderate Republicans?  Or, is he going to just run on gutting the EPA to show his conservatism?  I would bet that Christie is going to oppose cap-and-trade.  Another reason that Christie is not going to be a moderate candidate.
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2013, 12:36:56 AM »

http://blogs.wsj.com/metropolis/2011/11/07/christie-presses-fight-against-coal-plant-in-pennsylvania/

Appalachia could very well be play if Clinton plays this right. If its known that Christie is anti-coal then these states will be up for grabs this is big.
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2013, 12:42:13 AM »

Watch for the Clintons to become pro-coal suddenly the only reason these states are trending so right is because of the whole "War on Coal" rhetoric. It would be funny to see Clinton label Christie as anti-coal and waging a War on Coal I think coal country swings back to Ds hard in 2016.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2013, 08:12:11 AM »

on a side note....obama might 'believe' in climate change, but what exactly has he done to help the matter?  zilch.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies