Your opinion of NTX(northern Texas)?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:38:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Your opinion of NTX(northern Texas)?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Where do you stand?
Freedom Region

Horrible Region

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 35

Author Topic: Your opinion of NTX(northern Texas)?  (Read 2450 times)
AlternateSteve90
Rookie
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 13, 2013, 11:26:21 AM »

Personally, I lean more FR myself....yes, part of it is because I grew up here, but Dallas really does have some redeeming qualities to it; okay, maybe not as much as Austin or Bryan/College Station,  but still.....Smiley
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 11:28:30 AM »

The DFW metro is the worst place in America, perhaps moreso than Greater Atlanta or central Florida. The rest of it is uninhabited wasteland.
AlternateSteve90
Rookie
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 11:35:15 AM »

The DFW metro is the worst place in America, perhaps moreso than Greater Atlanta or central Florida. The rest of it is uninhabited wasteland.

Oh, I dunno. Why so bad? Personally, I always thought the Piney Woods(though maybe excluding Texarkana if that counts as part of said region) and West Texas(outside El Paso and a few other places) were full of suck, fail and garbage, much worse than even the most backwards parts of D/FW(Forney in Kaufman Co. might be a top contender for such a spot.)
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 11:40:32 AM »

DFW is just too sprawly, and its wealthier areas (Southlake, etc.) represent the worst excesses of the noveau riche.
AlternateSteve90
Rookie
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 11:49:30 AM »

DFW is just too sprawly, and its wealthier areas (Southlake, etc.) represent the worst excesses of the noveau riche.

Yeah, I'm not exactly a fan of the nouveau riche, either. That said, though, as annoying as some of them might be, I'll take them over the Teabagging morons out East any day(not including Texarkana, though, y'all's okay as far as I know.).
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 11:57:56 AM »

I like Fort Worth, but an HR overall.
Reginald
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 12:53:45 PM »

Southlake, etc. Haha. Someone's outdoing themselves.

It's not excellent, and it's certainly no Trans-Pecos, but I'd rather live in DFW (this really is pretty much shorthand for North Texas) than in Phoenix or Oklahoma City, for God's sakes. Likely over Houston as well. Parts of the D and the FW at least are really pretty good.

muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2013, 01:33:11 PM »

I spent a lot of time in NTX during the supercollider era from 1988-1993. I enjoyed both the urban choices in places like Deep Ellum as well as occasional meals at Ellis County roadhouses. That plus the fact that I lived in the big D when I was a young'un leads me to give it an FR vote. I recognize I haven't been there in 20 years, so judge my vote accordingly.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2013, 01:43:53 PM »

ugh. so conflicted here. on the one hand i like fort worth and dallas despite the sprawliness and awful summers. on the other hand there's a lot of dry counties + the above. i guess 'other'/lean positive.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2013, 02:39:29 PM »

Freedom Region.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2013, 02:52:35 PM »

An absolute sh**thole, and i'm a native.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2013, 03:18:29 PM »

HR, just like the rest of Texas.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2013, 06:06:21 PM »

Austin Metro?
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2013, 06:33:33 PM »

Horrid Region. Snooty Dallas people. Certifiably insane Teabaggers in the Collar Counties. Really trashy black people in South Dallas.

Houston may be the most radioactive place on the Carcinogenic Coast, but we have far more diversity and culture than anyplace else in Texas.

And no, Austin, a segregated city of guilty white liberals and food truck Hispanics is not diverse. Neither is the Valley or SA. Neither is the No Country for Old Men region between SA and El Paso. Neither is East Texas.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2013, 01:14:49 AM »

You mean Collin County. Wink

Houston may be the most radioactive place on the Carcinogenic Coast, but we have far more diversity and culture than anyplace else in Texas.

Also more toll roads.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2013, 06:24:28 AM »

You mean Collin County. Wink

Also more toll roads.

But the economist part of my brain likes toll roads, and user fees in general.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2013, 06:49:28 AM »

Lots of good music from the most misnamed Panhandle ever. -_-
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2013, 07:08:33 AM »

I spent about two weeks total in the DFW-region just over a year ago. My impression was.. way way waaaay too much concrete and general sprawl, too many malls and shopping areas - but on the other hand, if you're there to have a good shop it was fun and so cheap omg, just utterly unwalkable outside of a mall. I loved the climate as it was nice and toasty into November as opposed to Ohio which was already uncomfortably chilly. The people seemed "normal" to me (probably because there are so many rust belt transplants and also I put way too much thought into the stereotypical residents of regions) and it was altogether pretty alright. I only got a superficial impression, of course.

And the suburban streets were pretty unwelcoming. I prefer nice, dark asphalt to the glorified uneven sidewalks they call road. Freeway construction was everywhere, as were traffic jams. There was still a touristy Texas-ness to it all that did not mesh whatsoever with the actual modern lifestyle. One of the things I found bizarre was that where I was staying there was no recycling at all, and basically every place had an entire large bag of rubbish to be taken away every day that was paid for privately. It seemed excessive and defiantly backwards to a fault, and  you if you think there's something wrong with it!!

There was a plethora of small businesses present, but most seemed unnecessary and gimmicky. The actual city of Dallas had a beautiful skyline and decent enough public transport (even using some old retired Aussie trams), but not nearly the amount of shops I'm used to seeing here in Melbourne. It didn't seem lively like I expect cities to be. We did find a little artsy district that had some really fun shops and galleries featuring local artists that I enjoyed a lot. But we didn't spend a lot of time in the city itself - most of it was in Collin County and specifically Plano. For an expensive locale to live it did not impress.

I went to a local football game that happened to be a homecoming game. There was an ex-NFL player whose son was playing who was angrily yelling at him from the stands. There were beautiful dresses and a marching band and a local news crew. There were church groups handing out fliers and cheerleaders that everyone ignored. It was so completely American it was almost hilarious, and I loved it.

So.. overall, I'm going to have to vote Freedom Region, but I would never choose to live there if I could help it because, besides it consumerist appeal and welcoming climate, I couldn't stand the sprawl, the really rather inaccurate "Wild West Texas cowboy" bullsh**t, and the political and societal "private > public" mindset. Still.. fun to experience for a while.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2013, 10:12:03 AM »

Yup.  I can only imagine the horror of being in the Dallas suburbs. 
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2013, 11:05:44 AM »

King of the Hill is set there = FR.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2013, 12:26:06 PM »

I gotta disagree with your cartoon watching as Arlen seems to be outside of any metroplex.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_of_the_Hill#Setting

Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2013, 12:45:15 PM »

I gotta disagree with your cartoon watching as Arlen seems to be outside of any metroplex.

I always thought Arlen was Richardson.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2013, 04:49:01 PM »

I always thought Arlen was Richardson.

I think it's Garland.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2013, 07:05:36 PM »

Terrible, terrible place. But at least it's not Oklahoma.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2013, 08:20:10 PM »

I always thought it was in the Hill Country, somewhere around Fredericksburg or Austin or San Marcos. 

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies