SENATE BILL: Collective Bargaining Modernization Act of 2013 (Failed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:36:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Collective Bargaining Modernization Act of 2013 (Failed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Collective Bargaining Modernization Act of 2013 (Failed)  (Read 2084 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 14, 2013, 08:00:43 AM »
« edited: January 05, 2014, 05:40:09 PM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: TNF
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 08:01:41 AM »

The sponsor has 24 hours of course.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 08:07:16 AM »

This is another pretty straight forward bill that allows unions to organize industry-wide. In a global economy, we need unions that are strong enough to bargain across whole sectors of industry, rather than small, piecemeal units that deal with employers on a plant-by-plant basis. This will lead to better results, too, in terms of standardizing wage rates across industry via collective bargaining agreement and ending a lot of labor strife by guaranteeing unionization in industries where these industry-wide agreements exist.

The Finns do this and it works out pretty well. I don't see why it can't happen here. The bill also establishes works councils, which allow the unions to have a very big role in the day-to-day management of the workplace, increasing democracy on the job and holding workers to account for their end of the collective bargaining agreement. Works councils work great in Germany and were established in the United States during World War II, so again, I don't think there's a reason why we can't use them here.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 05:00:15 PM »

I think this is great.

I worry that there's not an opt-out clause for certain workers. There will always be people who don't want to join the union, for whatever reason.

Also, here's an amendment. This way, if the local CBA has clauses which improve working standards (less hours, more vacation days, etc), those can also take precedence, since that can oftentimes be finagled as not a "benefit" but a standard.

Quote from: Restricted
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 05:04:03 PM »

There isn't a chance I'll vote for this, but you already knew that. I'll see if I can't offer something as an amendment though.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2013, 05:21:22 PM »

The only circumstances under which I would deem an opt-out provision as friendly is if those workers who benefit from the union-negotiated contract have to pay at least a representation fee. They shouldn't be able to freeload.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2013, 05:27:34 PM »

The only circumstances under which I would deem an opt-out provision as friendly is if those workers who benefit from the union-negotiated contract have to pay at least a representation fee. They shouldn't be able to freeload.

Hm, I intended the opt-out to be "complete", in that they won't receive any benefits from the CBA and must negotiate any non-federally mandated salary increases or vacation on their own. It's essentially a "lone ranger" provision, so they would not be allowed to freeload. How about this?

TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2013, 05:34:06 PM »

I'm not convinced that the companies in question won't just give those employees the same benefits anyway, even if they forgo the representation fee. I think this basically needs to say that you have to pay the representation fee if you aren't part of the union, period. Anything else leaves far too much wiggle room for corporate America to undermine the whole process.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2013, 05:37:46 PM »

I support the Opt-out option that Tyrion is bringing up.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2013, 05:49:53 PM »

I will only support opt-out if there's a required representation fee.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2013, 05:51:29 PM »

I'm not convinced that the companies in question won't just give those employees the same benefits anyway, even if they forgo the representation fee. I think this basically needs to say that you have to pay the representation fee if you aren't part of the union, period. Anything else leaves far too much wiggle room for corporate America to undermine the whole process.

Well, I'm not sure I'm comfortable forcing people to be bound by union representation. Lots of people prefer to be without unions, regardless of how that might dilute negotiating power.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2013, 05:55:41 PM »

Well, I'm not sure I'm comfortable forcing people to be bound by union representation. Lots of people prefer to be without unions, regardless of how that might dilute negotiating power.

The latter is far more important than the former, in my opinion. Like I said, I'll support opt-out but only if we require those covered by the contract to pay the fee. It's only fair that they contribute something in return for getting a whole slew of benefits from the union negotiated contract. I don't think that's too much to ask of anyone.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2013, 06:05:28 PM »

The latter is far more important than the former, in my opinion. Like I said, I'll support opt-out but only if we require those covered by the contract to pay the fee. It's only fair that they contribute something in return for getting a whole slew of benefits from the union negotiated contract. I don't think that's too much to ask of anyone.

Certainly. If they get the benefits, they should pay for representation.

I'm wondering if there's a way to keep those benefits from being conferred to nonmembers.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2013, 06:51:43 PM »

I, too, would favor an opt-out clause. I would not feel comfortable forcing people to join a union if they did not want to. If we can amend the bill to include that, I am ok with charging for representation.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2013, 10:50:21 PM »

Certainly. If they get the benefits, they should pay for representation.

I'm wondering if there's a way to keep those benefits from being conferred to nonmembers.

Not without enacting some kind of byzantine scheme. The best way to handle this is to simply require the representation fee for non-union members.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2013, 07:00:36 PM »

Sponsor Feedback: Unclear
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2013, 07:57:44 PM »

Ok, I withdraw Amendment 58:44 and instead put forward this amendment with clearer wording.

This amendment, however, does still allow for an opt-out, of which TNF has indicated he is not a fan. In my defense, I think this is the best way to protect the rights of individual workers (and also the best way to pass this bill).

TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2013, 08:21:15 PM »

I'm still very leery of allowing someone to opt-out of the representation fee. I do not trust the companies to negotiate with individuals and give them something radically different than those not party to the agreement. I think if you're going to enforce that you need to put a fine in there, or something, because otherwise they're just going to offer the same benefits to the non-union, non-fee paying worker; that's what happens in right-to-work states as is IRL
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2013, 05:33:55 AM »
« Edited: December 17, 2013, 05:36:47 AM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

Sponsor Feedback: What I am suppose to do with this one now
STatus: Pending Clarification I guess/Vote in 24 hours without it.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2013, 09:34:28 AM »

Friendly for now, though I'll propose an amendment to clarify it.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2013, 12:08:30 AM »

Sponsor Feedback: Friendly
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2013, 07:32:55 AM »

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2013, 12:59:10 AM »

Amendment 58:46 has been adopted.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2013, 01:59:29 AM »

Sponsor Feedback: Origination
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2013, 07:05:12 AM »

Well, what do we think here?

This essentially forces workers in any unionized sector to pay a fee if they don't unionize. I'm trying to rack my brains for the ramifications of such a move.

But TNF's point is important; when you have 99% of the sector collectively bargaining or paying a representation fee, the 1% is likely just going to ride on those sector negotiations.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies