NE3: November-February Northeast Budget FY2013
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:07:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  NE3: November-February Northeast Budget FY2013
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NE3: November-February Northeast Budget FY2013  (Read 1749 times)
Talleyrand
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 15, 2013, 11:18:17 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: Governor SirNick

Debate time shall be unlimited, and a final vote shall be held when a majority of voting representatives call for cloture. Governor, you have 24 hours to advocate for this.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 11:31:17 PM »

Lets talk budget, folks.

Let me set the stage for you first.

OUR LAST BUDGET, increased spending and lowered taxes. We had a $30 surplus after doing that. That surplus went to a stimulus package, job training program and the disaster relief fund. In addition, we passed a Federally financed stimulus package on top of our own. The federally financed stimulus package invested in police, firefighters, hospitals, schools and prisons.

This budget does not increase spending excluding updates to mandatory spending determined by legislation (The Northeastern Higher Education Act and the Healthy Northeast Act). This budget, with the last budget's rates, started with a $40 billion surplus.

My proposal widdles that surplus down to $12 billion via tax cuts. This budget halves the income tax for those making under $99,999/yr. This budget reduces the income rate for each bracket above $99,999/yr by 1%.

My proposal also halves the sales tax.

My plans for the remainder of the $12 billion surplus include the following if the bills are passed:

Disaster Relief [Mandatory]: $2.4612 billion
Northeast Drug Courts Act: - $1.5 billion
Northeast Rehabilitation and Reform Act - $0.575 billion
Earthling's Regional Parks bill would cost around $25 million if passed.
Remainder of the surplus: $7.7448 billion to be allocated via future legislation

I urge the Assembly to pass this budget. It holds the progressive values we enshrined in the last budget --and this budget gives the tax relief that Northeast citizens deserve.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 12:53:28 AM »

I approve of the Governor's budget. There is noting about it that I would like to change.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 06:10:56 AM »

I'm down with this.
Earthling
Netherlands

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 08:05:44 AM »

Good budget. No problems.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 08:23:46 PM »

Glad to have your support gents, lets see what Talleyrand and Cincinnatus have to say
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 09:53:12 PM »

Does the Northeast have a preexisting rainy day fund we can add the surplus to?
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 10:46:57 PM »

Yes. Regional law requires twenty percent of the surplus to go towards the rainy day or disaster fund. I've appropriated it via Executive Order last time we passed the budget. I'll do the same again. As for the remainder of the stimulus, I wanted to leave some so the Assembly had some room to do some work (or fun, it is a game after all) without breaking the bank Tongue
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2013, 05:52:02 PM »

Yes. Regional law requires twenty percent of the surplus to go towards the rainy day or disaster fund. I've appropriated it via Executive Order last time we passed the budget. I'll do the same again. As for the remainder of the stimulus, I wanted to leave some so the Assembly had some room to do some work (or fun, it is a game after all) without breaking the bank Tongue

If that's the case, I'm cool with voting to pass it.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2013, 06:00:02 PM »

Cloture motion anyone? Ya'll have to vote to end debate in order to vote for passage.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2013, 08:18:30 PM »

I wonder if these, rather significant tax cuts are the best way to handle our 7% unemployment rate.  Should we cut income taxes, more so regarding brackets above the 100k mark?  Is a 50% reduction in sales tax too much? 

I think we need to shift some of the balance here towards stimulus.  Not to say that there shouldn't be a balance, but we run the risk of these tax cuts not having the ability to substantially improve the economy.  We need to balance tax cuts and government stimulus.   
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2013, 08:59:30 PM »

I wonder if these, rather significant tax cuts are the best way to handle our 7% unemployment rate.  Should we cut income taxes, more so regarding brackets above the 100k mark?  Is a 50% reduction in sales tax too much? 

I think we need to shift some of the balance here towards stimulus.  Not to say that there shouldn't be a balance, but we run the risk of these tax cuts not having the ability to substantially improve the economy.  We need to balance tax cuts and government stimulus.   

I'm with Cincinnatus on this; the extent of the some of the tax cuts could be mitigated a little bit so we can pass a heavier stimulus and bring down the unemployment rate below 7%. We have the most efficient government in the nation and yet that figure is somewhat disappointing.

The income tax rates are quite low, and could easily be tweaked to provide more revenue without cutting too deeply in the citizenry's pocket (The same applies to the sales tax).
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2013, 10:55:01 PM »
« Edited: December 17, 2013, 10:56:44 PM by King in the North SirNick »

I wonder if these, rather significant tax cuts are the best way to handle our 7% unemployment rate.  Should we cut income taxes, more so regarding brackets above the 100k mark?  Is a 50% reduction in sales tax too much?  

I think we need to shift some of the balance here towards stimulus.  Not to say that there shouldn't be a balance, but we run the risk of these tax cuts not having the ability to substantially improve the economy.  We need to balance tax cuts and government stimulus.    

I'm with Cincinnatus on this; the extent of the some of the tax cuts could be mitigated a little bit so we can pass a heavier stimulus and bring down the unemployment rate below 7%. We have the most efficient government in the nation and yet that figure is somewhat disappointing.

The income tax rates are quite low, and could easily be tweaked to provide more revenue without cutting too deeply in the citizenry's pocket (The same applies to the sales tax).

The Game Moderator has already spoken on the policies I've backed. As of tonight, unemployment in the Northeast is 6.1%. We need to continue the policies of fiscal responsibility and progressive values that the North holds dear.

First, I want to talk about honoring our promises. During the Scott Administration, we raised rates on the wealthiest in order to finance disaster relief with the promise that it was a temporary tax raise. This budget keeps that promise.

Lets talk about stimulus. The spending levels in this bill are about 8% higher than the first Scott budget. They are slightly lower than my last budget because we reformed how we financed higher education. We pay for all students to attend public school in the Northeast now. This is a stimulus in itself.

Last session we passed two stimulus packages. The Governor's Large Package Act [federally financed] was a $9.2 billion package while the Northeast Stimulus Act [regionally financed] was a $15 billion package. This session, I am perfectly fine using the remainder of the $7 billion surplus for another stimulus package.

In addition, the default spending levels in this and the previous budget has billions more in infrastructure spending. The largest investment in infrastructure the Northeast has even seen has occurred over the past few months.

We've given people job training programs, we've given the people infrastructure jobs, we've given people jobs rebuilding and upgrading our schools, police stations, hospitals, and fire stations. Now its time to give people money to take home with them at the end of the day because they deserve it --and the Northeast region is in good shape.

We can always do better, but this budget is the right balance for now in the Northeast.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2013, 07:26:23 PM »

In that case, I will be opening a vote on cloture.

It will last until a majority of voting representatives have voted either in the affirmative or negative, or after 48 hours.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2013, 07:27:06 PM »

Aye
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2013, 07:27:28 PM »

AYE
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2013, 08:21:03 PM »

AYE
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2013, 08:33:51 PM »

With a majority of voting representatives having voted in the affirmative, the motion for cloture has passed.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This bill is now up for a final vote. Voting will last 48 hours or until all sitting Representatives have voted. Please vote AYE, NAY, or ABSTAIN.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2013, 08:34:21 PM »

AYE
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2013, 08:38:38 PM »

Aye.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2013, 08:39:42 PM »

Aye
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2013, 08:51:46 PM »

AYE
Earthling
Netherlands

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2013, 02:43:04 AM »

Aye
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2013, 08:22:30 AM »

With 5 votes in the affirmative, this bill has passed.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies