Does NYC have the highest density of hunters per square mile in America?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:58:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  Does NYC have the highest density of hunters per square mile in America?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Does NYC have the highest density of hunters per square mile in America?  (Read 786 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 16, 2013, 11:55:16 AM »

Kind of a strange question, but let me elaborate:

Because of sheer population density, NYC has the highest density of basically any group per square mile. It has the highest density of whites, blacks, Hispanics and Asians, actually has the highest density of Republicans in the country, probably the highest density of evangelical Christians in America too. And no doubt gun owners. But hunters?

Now I know a lot of people in Minneapolis who hunt (including some minorities, in fact it's known that Hmong are some of the biggest hunters here), but living in Minneapolis and hunting isn't too inconvenient, just pack up your car with your equipment, drive an hour in any direction during hunting season and boom, you'll be near a good hunting area. Not quite the case with NYC, I imagine Long Island has some hunting areas, as does northwest New Jersey and even places like upper Westchester county, but people aren't as likely to own cars and the needed permits are probably harder to obtain.

So do you think this is the case? If not then where is?
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 12:12:43 PM »

Kind of a strange question, but let me elaborate:

Because of sheer population density, NYC has the highest density of basically any group per square mile. It has the highest density of whites, blacks, Hispanics and Asians, actually has the highest density of Republicans in the country, probably the highest density of evangelical Christians in America too. And no doubt gun owners. But hunters?

Now I know a lot of people in Minneapolis who hunt (including some minorities, in fact it's known that Hmong are some of the biggest hunters here), but living in Minneapolis and hunting isn't too inconvenient, just pack up your car with your equipment, drive an hour in any direction during hunting season and boom, you'll be near a good hunting area. Not quite the case with NYC, I imagine Long Island has some hunting areas, as does northwest New Jersey and even places like upper Westchester county, but people aren't as likely to own cars and the needed permits are probably harder to obtain.

So do you think this is the case? If not then where is?

I'm not sure I'm quite following your question here?

In terms of density of hunters I thought Vermont had the highest in the country. I know Pennsylvania has the the most hunters per capita in the US.

Personally I wouldn't imagine that NYC would have the highest density of hunters(esp. given the lack of convenience and the very strict gun laws-even on hunting rifles).
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 12:37:16 PM »

I'm talking about population density. Vermont's is far too low to even be a candidate.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 12:47:07 PM »

No. 

A quick google finds this report by the US Census Bureau.  According to the report, in 2011 739,000 people hunted in New York State.  However, there were too few hunters in MSAs larger than 1,000,000 people to calculate what percent in MSAs over 1,000,000 participate in hunting.  That makes it seem pretty rare in NYC. 

Also, hunting is pretty unheard of here just anecdotally.  I've known a few people who hunted when they were kids back in real America.  But, I've never met anyone that goes upstate to shoot deer. 
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 03:37:57 PM »

The NY state website for hunting & fishing licenses has a list of licenses by county each year. There are a couple of problems for using it to answer your question. First, the data appear to be by county of sale, so someone who lives in the city and buys their permit on the first day of hunting in the Adirondacks gets counted in the hunting county. So it's probably not useful for comparing urban and rural areas. But still, urban counties mostly have higher numbers, suggesting that most people get them at home, so we can do a rough comparison among urban areas. Second, there's no single number for hunting, just a total for hunting+fishing at the bottom of a long list of bewildering abbreviations for individual permit types like "Res Turkey Permit Stamp". Presumably one person can buy more than one type of permit.

With these caveats in mind, the total hunting+fishing licenses in the five NYC boroughs is 52,011. But the two highest in the state are Erie at 123,249 and Monroe at 82,792.

So it appears that the difference in population density is not enough to make up for the difference in hunting culture, even just within the state.

Anecdotally it does seem to me that there is a large difference between the northeast corridor and the midwest that transcends urban/rural or political distinctions. The people I know in Madison are almost all liberal, yet I've heard people talk about going hunting every so often. I don't think I ever heard this once in New Jersey. The town I lived in there had a problem with excessive deer and the municipality had to contract with a company to come in and kill a bunch since there was basically no demand for hunting. I remember a conversation with someone when this was going on who seemed to think that letting the deer run wild was the "Democratic" option, that hiring the company was the "Republican" option, and that actually having people hunt deer on their own was some kind of libertarian joke option.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 04:58:41 PM »

For international comparison, Jean Saint-Josse - the CPNT (basically a hunters' party, whose main voters were hunters) candidate in the 2002 French election - actually won his amount number of raw votes in Marseille (5,068), Paris (3,899) and Toulouse (2,283) which are among the largest cities in France. That still meant just 1.7% in Marseille and 0.5% in Paris.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 09:51:29 PM »

If it does, its soley because NYC has 3 million people more than Minnesota.

The demographics of the city are pretty much the furthest from the 'hunting' stereotype

Furthermore, you cant really hunt anywhere. Long Island has no places, neither does most of NJ. Your best bet is the Hudson Valley, or far NW NJ up by Pennsylvania.

But really, I know a ton of people from the city and I can guarantee none of them and none of their friends have ever hunted.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 09:59:52 PM »

Ive gone upstate and shot some guns but never hunted.  I know a couple of people who hunt and they are all older and suburban. NYC isnt your answer.  Id say maybe Philly or Pittsburgh has more people raised with that culture and the density to support a correct answer.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2013, 05:42:50 AM »

Ive gone upstate and shot some guns but never hunted.  I know a couple of people who hunt and they are all older and suburban. NYC isnt your answer.  Id say maybe Philly or Pittsburgh has more people raised with that culture and the density to support a correct answer.
There was a story about a group of people who hunt rats in Manhattan (with dogs).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies