Interning For Congressmen?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:05:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Interning For Congressmen?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Interning For Congressmen?  (Read 985 times)
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 16, 2013, 09:32:09 PM »

Has anyone here interened for a legislator and if so what did they think of it? Would you recommend the practice?

I'm personally thinking of applying to intern for Loretta Sanchez or Alan Lowenthal in their district offices.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 09:41:04 PM »

In college, I interned for a State Representative at their state capital office and a Congressional campaign and a Senate campaign.  It was sort of interesting because the campaigns were high profile and state legislatures are a good way to understand the legislative process up close.  I also got to meet some people and do some networking. 

But, if you're answering constituent phone calls about social social benefits and making photocopies, that could be less fun.  What about interning for a city government person instead?  You might get to meet them and get a better sense of actual government.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 10:04:02 PM »

I interned at a district office one summer in college (won't say for who but it was a Houston-area member). Mainly did it because I had waited really long to get my ducks in a row internship-wise and applications for the DC offices and other interesting stuff like that were already due. It's really not that hard to get an internship at a rep's district office but you're probably not going to have a very fulfilling experience.

I basically had to answer the phone all day and listen to frothing-at-the-mouth old Tea Partiers who make up the bulk of engaged voters in suburban Harris County rant about how terrible Obama is and how we need to secure the border because there are too many brown people in Texas. And then I had to log the call into a computer database that was ridiculous because you had to select from a preset list of reasons for the call and "Fundie Tea Party Retardation" was not an option. This particular congressman had a fairly large district with multiple offices and I think I actually saw him in person a grand total of once or twice the whole summer.

There were also calls that made me realize how much damage getting rid of high school civics has done in terms of people not understanding how our government works or what US Representatives actually do. One woman wanted me to tell the congressman to call her credit card company and make them reverse the late fees they had charged her.

So basically, I wouldn't recommend it.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 01:58:00 PM »

I've interned for a couple of MPs in the past.

I would highly recommend it, as it builds connections, and gives you a lot of practical office skills.

I don't know what it's like in the US, but "applying to intern" isn't the way I did it. I worked on campaigns and met people as an "in".

Of course all that interning led me nowhere, as my current field is survey research, and not directly into politics.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 02:10:11 PM »

You have to know the right people; its quite frustrating, IMO.

I applied for Congressional internships for two years, to no avail. Two of my friends got them. One of them is close with the Landrieu family, so she got to intern with Mary. My other friend has a dad who's held several local offices here in New Orleans; he interned with Scalise last summer.

One route to go is through the campaigns. One of the friends I made this summer in DC worked on Mike Turner's campaign in 2012; they asked him to be an office intern after that.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 02:26:18 PM »

Know someone who knows the senator/congressman personally. Otherwise you're likely out of luck.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2013, 02:31:31 PM »

It's not bad, as far as unpaid internships go. I interned for the Democratic congressman from my home town, once in the summer at his district office and then during the school year for a semester in his DC office (I went to college in DC). The district office is a lot of constituent service stuff, which can be interesting if you like talking to people. The DC office is also a lot of talking to people, but there's more of a policy focus, and I got to attend hearings and write form letters and walk around the capitol on errands, which was fun.

Most of your job is talking to constituents on the phone or in person, listening to their complaints (or praises if they like you), and then forwarding their request to one of the case workers who actually deals with the bureaucracy. You also do things like updating databases, scanning newspaper clippings, etc. If you've never worked in an office environment it's helpful, and I've found that it's usually a pretty impressive thing to put on your resume when you're looking for other jobs out of college.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2013, 02:34:36 PM »

I applied for Congressional internships for two years, to no avail. Two of my friends got them. One of them is close with the Landrieu family, so she got to intern with Mary. My other friend has a dad who's held several local offices here in New Orleans; he interned with Scalise last summer.

One route to go is through the campaigns. One of the friends I made this summer in DC worked on Mike Turner's campaign in 2012; they asked him to be an office intern after that.

To add to what Miles said, campaigns are a great way to "know the right people". I swear I got my internship because a certain MP's assistant spilled wine on me at an event Tongue
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2013, 02:41:47 PM »

Goes back 20+ years and mine was with campaign consultants.  Did it through a university program in conjunction with the Washington Center, which definitely still exists.  Went back and actually worked for them the next election cycle.  Agree with what others say, unless you have an in with someone, it's almost impossible to get into a legislative office.  Also agree with those who say interning with a legislator will be very heavy on constituent service.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2013, 05:12:47 PM »

Yeah, thats my plan to getting an internship down the road.

To add to what Miles said, campaigns are a great way to "know the right people". I swear I got my internship because a certain MP's assistant spilled wine on me at an event Tongue
Agreed. Not only do you meet the candidate for office or the already elected official, but you also meet the office staff who are just as well connected.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2013, 05:30:33 PM »

Guys, getting a congressional internship is not some complicated thing that requires lots of connections, especially if it's just in the district office. Just send them an email and include your resume, why you want to work for them, when you're available, etc. These offices can always use free labor, especially under the austerity regime ruining the government. I literally just emailed my congressman's office two months before the summer began telling them that I was interested.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2013, 05:32:56 PM »

Guys, getting a congressional internship is not some complicated thing that requires lots of connections, especially if it's just in the district office. Just send them an email and include your resume, why you want to work for them, when you're available, etc. These offices can always use free labor, especially under the austerity regime ruining the government. I literally just emailed my congressman's office two months before the summer began telling them that I was interested.
^^^I've actually been reached out to twice about doing an internship, both in Topeka for our Congresswoman and in D.C. for another.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2013, 05:34:12 PM »

I volunteered for my provincial member (MPP) back when I was in high school and they mostly had me do the most boring tasks possible (filing complaints in huge binders in some back room).
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2013, 05:47:55 PM »

I believe Dereich might have something to say about this....Tongue
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2013, 06:34:22 PM »

Who did you intern with, Keddy? That would've been amusing.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2013, 06:38:03 PM »

It is if you hail from the heart of darkness and refuse to work under a Republican's guidance.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2013, 07:15:45 PM »

Who did you intern with, Keddy? That would've been amusing.

Nah, I was in the PMO. I've met Keddy several times... Let's just say we're on opposite sides of the party Tongue
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2013, 10:06:27 PM »

It is if you hail from the heart of darkness and refuse to work under a Republican's guidance.

I worked for a Republican member but can't imagine what I did would have been significantly different had I worked for a Democrat. You're not going to be advising them on policy and how to vote on bills. You're going to push paper around and serve as the public-sector equivalent of a customer service representative. What difference does it make what party they're in?
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2013, 12:09:56 AM »

I worked for a Republican member but can't imagine what I did would have been significantly different had I worked for a Democrat. You're not going to be advising them on policy and how to vote on bills. You're going to push paper around and serve as the public-sector equivalent of a customer service representative. What difference does it make what party they're in?

Dignity; I'm not going to volunteer to do chores for a Republican or to put it on a resume.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2013, 12:16:16 AM »

Dignity; I'm not going to volunteer to do chores for a Republican or to put it on a resume.

Because filing papers and answering phones are such ideological endeavors.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2013, 12:21:20 AM »

No, working in a Republican office would be terrible. Most young politically active Republicans are horrible people, even completely ignoring their politics.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2013, 12:28:04 AM »

No, working in a Republican office would be terrible. Most young politically active Republicans are horrible people, even completely ignoring their politics.

I agree with this statement. I wouldn't mind working with Lindsay Graham's office, but it was in upstate SC which is a miserable place.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2013, 12:32:04 AM »

I actually agree with Lief too, and it brings me to this little rant that I wrote before he posted...

"Networking." Ugh! Don't network for the sake of shaking hands; network for the sake of helping people. I know my cynicism is unwelcome here, but gosh darn, the student government types get to me. Not saying that necessarily describes any of you, but I think I just don't like the culture of being "in" with politicians. I have just as many people fawning over me at church, but it's not because I run errands and make an effort to shake their hands. It's because I put away chairs after events, do dishes, and sweep the floor.

If you enjoy it and you think you could make a difference in this job or a similar job down the line, I say go for it. But if you're in it for eventual power or clout, don't do it. Because honestly, those are the Ted Cruz and Pierre Poillievre types. You won't do anyone any good and you'll just become part of the problem. If you become a part of the in-crowd and forget about the out-crowd, you're done. I know we're just talking about a clerical job, but I've seen what it can do to people... in April they're your friend and in September they're "Jason Kenney's assistant, all hail my political prowess." I hate it so much.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2013, 12:54:15 AM »

I actually agree with Lief too, and it brings me to this little rant that I wrote before he posted...

"Networking." Ugh! Don't network for the sake of shaking hands; network for the sake of helping people. I know my cynicism is unwelcome here, but gosh darn, the student government types get to me. Not saying that necessarily describes any of you, but I think I just don't like the culture of being "in" with politicians. I have just as many people fawning over me at church, but it's not because I run errands and make an effort to shake their hands. It's because I put away chairs after events, do dishes, and sweep the floor.

If you enjoy it and you think you could make a difference in this job or a similar job down the line, I say go for it. But if you're in it for eventual power or clout, don't do it. Because honestly, those are the Ted Cruz and Pierre Poillievre types. You won't do anyone any good and you'll just become part of the problem. If you become a part of the in-crowd and forget about the out-crowd, you're done. I know we're just talking about a clerical job, but I've seen what it can do to people... in April they're your friend and in September they're "Jason Kenney's assistant, all hail my political prowess." I hate it so much.

Those who work hard at the unglamourous side of campaigning are noticed. Believe me... they (we!) get very noticed - and usually when we think nobody is paying attention. I can guarantee I wouldn't be where I am today if it weren't for that fact.

Pierre Poillievre is well-deserving of his position. I know someone who used to work with him and who used to be good friends with him in the days before he became an MP. He's worked very hard, including at grunt work, and he tops it off by being very smart.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2013, 02:27:22 AM »

Those who work hard at the unglamourous side of campaigning are noticed. Believe me... they (we!) get very noticed - and usually when we think nobody is paying attention. I can guarantee I wouldn't be where I am today if it weren't for that fact.

Pierre Poillievre is well-deserving of his position. I know someone who used to work with him and who used to be good friends with him in the days before he became an MP. He's worked very hard, including at grunt work, and he tops it off by being very smart.

That's funny, I know someone who claims to have known him as well and he says the opposite. Tongue Mind you, I don't know how trustworthy my information is as it's coming from a union man through-and-through, but it did always match my perception of him. I guess if you're in politics you've got to accept that that's how some people may feel. Tongue

As for doing the grunt work... I'm glad to hear it's appreciated. The difference for me is that when I do it at church I genuinely feel for the people I'm helping out. Doing it at the Queen's University Conservative Association BBQ where half these D-bags are dressed in suits is another story. Cheesy
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies