Pope removes conservative American cardinal from Vatican committee
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:18:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Pope removes conservative American cardinal from Vatican committee
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Pope removes conservative American cardinal from Vatican committee  (Read 984 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 17, 2013, 12:43:32 PM »
« edited: December 17, 2013, 12:45:50 PM by Speaker Scott »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
New York Times

The Church continues to rebuild and revitalize.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 12:47:19 PM »

Hrn.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 01:14:41 PM »

I love this guy. Smiley
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 03:41:12 PM »

Wow that's actually the type of reform needed.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 08:56:14 PM »

My guess--I can't really claim to have more than that--is that if there is an ideological motivation behind this, it's that Pope Francis did this to try and intervene in the internal argument among US bishops over whether or not pro-choice politicians should receive communion.

It could also be that he simply doesn't like Burke for some reason.

I also noticed this article mentions criticism of Francis from the left for appointing my old bishop back in Ohio, Leonard Blair, to Archbishop of Hartford, Connecticut. Tongue (The reason the left is angry has nothing to do with what he did as Bishop of Toledo but rather some random committee he was on)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 07:40:38 AM »

My guess--I can't really claim to have more than that--is that if there is an ideological motivation behind this, it's that Pope Francis did this to try and intervene in the internal argument among US bishops over whether or not pro-choice politicians should receive communion.

Let's make a deal: you can keep excommunicating pro-choice politicians, but also do the same for politicians who oppose a basic social safety net for the poor. I think Republican would have just as much to lose as Democrats. Tongue
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 12:04:26 PM »

Let's make a deal: you can keep excommunicating pro-choice politicians, but also do the same for politicians who oppose a basic social safety net for the poor. I think Republican would have just as much to lose as Democrats. Tongue

I know that your only being semi-serious, but excommunicating politicians who oppose a 'basic social safety net for the poor' has considerably less ground to stand on than excommunicating them for supporting abortions. The latter (if we are to go with the standard Catholic view that human personhood begins at conception) does constitute an act of killing the innocent directly. The practice is repeatedly condemned by Catholic clergy, in the catechism, and by Catholic theologians like Aquinas (I'm unsure as to whether he did actually talk about abortion, but Natural Law's primary precepts certainly would suggest that abortion is wrong). On the other hand, all that can be used to back up excommunicating the forumla are largely left-wing interpretations of Jesus' message. I mean, opposing what you describe as the basic social safety net does not mean that a person doesn't broadly follow in the spirit of Jesus' teachings on wealth. I'm sure many of these politicians (though of course by no means all) will donate regularly to charities which help the poor. If they do, there is no good reason (and even if they didn't, the reasoning would at best be shaky) for them to even be considered for ecommunication.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2013, 12:20:58 PM »

Cardinal Wuerl was Bishop here in Pittsburgh.........good man.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies