Did they ever burn ...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:37:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Did they ever burn ...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: witches etc. in the area where you live right now ?
Yes

No

Don't know

Other (post)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 34

Author Topic: Did they ever burn ...  (Read 911 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 18, 2013, 08:03:10 AM »
« edited: December 18, 2013, 09:49:12 AM by Tender Branson »

Yes, they burned all kinds of people in my area, especially between 1200 and 1800: "witches", red-haired people, "heretics", etc.

I was reading about it recently in the city chronicle book.
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 08:06:28 AM »

Unless native Americans did it then no.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 09:35:07 AM »

Not entirely sure, I imagine so though.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 10:04:46 AM »

Unless native Americans did it then no.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 10:05:23 AM »

Don't know.  This city was founded in 1729 and by then the witch hunt was pretty much over in the Americas, although I understand that in Austria it was still going on at that time.  

About an hour east of here, in the Eddystone borough in what was the William Penn colony (now suburban Philadelphia) in 1683 a witchcraft trial was held.  It was the Penn colony's only such trial.  The convicted paid a fine and promised six month's good behavior.  I think that was the end of it.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 10:12:17 AM »

I don't know about historically. 

But, there have been a few instances of lighting people on fire to kill them in Brooklyn recently.  A few years back a City Marshall was beat and lit on fire when he tried to evict someone.  More recently, a handyman killed a client by lighting her on fire because he thought she stiffed him on payment.  Maybe he also thought she was a witch, I don't know.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/12/18/man-charged-in-brooklyn-womans-burning-death/
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 10:15:48 AM »

Don't know.  This city was founded in 1729 and by then the witch hunt was pretty much over in the Americas, although I understand that in Austria it was still going on at that time.  

About an hour east of here, in the Eddystone borough in what was the William Penn colony (now suburban Philadelphia) in 1683 a witchcraft trial was held.  It was the Penn colony's only such trial.  The convicted paid a fine and promised six month's good behavior.  I think that was the end of it.

The last witch burnings here occurred in the early 19th century.

The years after the 30-Year-War were the worst though:

Alone between 1675 and 1679, 133 people were executed for witchcraft in my state alone (which has only 500.000 people now).

A lot of them were burned, others were wheeled (or whatever the English name for this is), others hanged.

Almost all were severely tortured before.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2013, 10:18:22 AM »

No, but we did lynch a black guy within the last century.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2013, 10:27:12 AM »

No, but we did lynch a black guy within the last century.

Just one?
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2013, 10:30:09 AM »

A lot of them were burned, others were wheeled (or whatever the English name for this is), others hanged.

Ah, the infamous radebreken.  I've read about that.  It didn't see much use in English America, but in French America it was used in the mid-1700s, around New Orleans, for escaped slaves.  Hanging was the preferred method for witches in British North America, I think.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2013, 10:37:25 AM »

Nah, we didn't burn witches. Just slaves.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2013, 11:05:52 AM »

In most places at least there was a lot less of that kind of thing than subsequent centuries have imagined (and it tended to happen later than often imagined as well).
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2013, 11:16:46 AM »

Not sure actually. Suburban Philly wasn't exactly a breeding ground for religious cultism, but I'm not sure.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2013, 11:18:15 AM »

The area that belongs to modern Germany was where the most witch burnings took place, I believe.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2013, 01:18:18 PM »

Given mu city was founded in 1935, clearly not, especially than, then, with all the woodland, people were very afraid of wildfires.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2013, 01:22:54 PM »

Nah.. they did used to hang criminals here until 1911 or so when one guy's feet touched the ground and the cop had to hold his feet up to kill him.

Obviously it was a ghastly affair and capital punishment was abolished not long after.

In fact, I don't think there ever was an execution in my town.  Even the whites and the Ojibwe got along as well as you could expect considering the history of whites settling native lands.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2013, 01:23:47 PM »

Frankfurt never burned a witch since preserved records begin (14th century), and in the time of the great German witchhunts of the 16th and 17th century the city prosecution office was proud of the fact. German cities then often asked each other second opinions of legal cases, and Frankfurt had a standard one on witchcraft cases that basically ran "most witchcraft allegations are bullsh!t and we see nothing in your case to suggest different". They did occasionally arrest someone for a few days or weeks whom all the neighbors were saying was a witch, though. The crime of witchcraft was on the lawbooks, after all.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2013, 01:28:31 PM »

The area that belongs to modern Germany was where the most witch burnings took place, I believe.
More specifically: The smaller protestant cities and principalities; and the ecclesiastical states (or whatever the English term is) which are obviously Catholic. The larger territorial states and the larger cities both were comparatively harmless.

Overall, Catholics and Protestants were about equally likely to hang you for a witch... but Protestants were far more single-mindedly concerned with burning women of the lower orders. Catholic parts had a larger minority of males and of people of status among their victims - including, memorably, a mayor of Bamberg and a chief justice of Trier.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2013, 02:24:30 PM »
« Edited: December 18, 2013, 02:38:20 PM by shua »

Not sure actually. Suburban Philly wasn't exactly a breeding ground for religious cultism, but I'm not sure.

Philadelphia was founded by people who were considered a religious cult in their day - the Quakers, but that sect didn't have any interest in witch hunting.  According to Albion's Seed, the courts in the Quaker colonies never executed any witches but sometimes the people took the law into their own hands.  There was a riot in Philadelphia over the acquittal of an accused sorcerer in 1749 and a woman stoned to death by a mob in 1787.

In colonial Virginia the courts occasionally punished witchcraft, but almost always by nonlethal means such as corporal punishment and/or banishment. There were many more suits won by accused witches against their accusers than there were guilty verdicts.  This site has lists of witch trials.  In what's now Virginia Beach in 1706 a woman named Grace Sherwood who had already been accused and acquitted along with her husband two times, didn't show up at her trial. They arrested her, gave her a dunking test and shackled her in jail. No record of what happened next but she lived until at least 1733.  She is known as "the Witch of Pungo" after the village where she lived, and gave her name to Witch Duck Point.

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2013, 02:26:52 PM »

Americans didn't live here until the 1890s, so no, we did not.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2013, 02:28:39 PM »

We have a not very pleasant history when it comes to Chinese immigrants, but I don't think we ever burned anybody: http://www.dartmouth.edu/~hist32/History/S01%20-%20Wash%20State%20riots.htm
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2013, 02:35:30 PM »

Americans didn't live here until the 1890s, so no, we did not.
of course many Native American peoples also routinely killed witches. But they didn't burn them, I suppose.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2013, 02:40:35 PM »

and the ecclesiastical states (or whatever the English term is)

Not sure if there is a term; Durham (which is the English equivalent, as you know) was officially just a County Palatine that happened to be run by a Bishop.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2013, 02:43:30 PM »

Don't think so.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2013, 02:45:52 PM »

Well, I am unsure what term Anglophones use when talking about the German thingies.

Oh, and addendum:
including, memorably, a mayor of Bamberg and a chief justice of Trier.
A chief justice of Trier and avid witchhunter. The man was literally burned by his own witchhunt.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies