1 in 200 American Pregnancies Virginal
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:04:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  1 in 200 American Pregnancies Virginal
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: 1 in 200 American Pregnancies Virginal  (Read 2220 times)
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 18, 2013, 06:10:41 PM »
« edited: December 18, 2013, 09:38:44 PM by True Federalist »

Or at least says a recent survey of Pregant Women

For this, I also recommend Jezebel

Anyone willing to interpret this? That's a shocking statistic. Perhaps the second coming is soon after all.

EDIT: Found the abstract to the study; it's for the whole US, see here
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 06:12:46 PM »

We must believe them. For it is written.
Link
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 06:45:08 PM »

Why?  Do you work in the medical field?  That type of study result across a whole host of subjects is pretty common.

Have you ever done any counseling of infertile couples?  I mean one of the first things you have to make sure of is they are actually having unprotected sex to completion... in the right hole.  It's not unheard of for a couple to fail to do one of those things and then wonder why they have no children.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 07:11:21 PM »

Have you ever done any counseling of infertile couples?  I mean one of the first things you have to make sure of is they are actually having unprotected sex to completion... in the right hole.  It's not unheard of for a couple to fail to do one of those things and then wonder why they have no children.

I'm probably a bad person for saying this, but it's probably a good thing those couples aren't reproducing...
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 08:32:29 PM »

I'm probably a bad person for saying this, but it's probably a good thing those couples aren't reproducing...
No, you are not a bad person for saying that.  You are entirely sensible.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 08:46:51 PM »

A case of either lying, or not answering the questions properly. You can expect statistical noise like this in most surveys. I'm rather shocked it's as low as 0.5%.
Link
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 09:05:00 PM »

The average American doesn't have a college degree.  If people like that don't reproduce the country would die out.  Not everyone is a Rhodes Scholar.  Most people are pretty far from it.
Link
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2013, 09:08:07 PM »

It's shocking to me that people in the Netherlands dress in black face in 2013 for a national holiday...

True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2013, 09:28:50 PM »

Clearly, yall need some better religious teaching.  The Immaculate Conception does not refer to the Virgin Birth of Jesus, but rather the Catholic doctrine that Mary, the blessed mother of Christ, was conceived without inheriting the stain of original sin.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2013, 09:30:08 PM »

A case of either lying, or not answering the questions properly. You can expect statistical noise like this in most surveys. I'm rather shocked it's as low as 0.5%.

^^^ word.

It's functionally impossible to ask any binary question where the respondents aren't totally ambivalent about answer and get a 0% response, if the sample is large enough.  Not 100% of people are cooperative, especially when one of the answers is kind of amusing.  Or they don't read.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2013, 09:32:40 PM »

It's shocking to me that people in the Netherlands dress in black face in 2013 for a national holiday...

I'm not Dutch so I completely agree. I just live here.

I'm not sure I buy the 'statistical noise' theory - 45 people who were pregnant were asked if they ever had sex and they said 'no' - that suggests some.... lack of knowledge among certain people. Although perhaps some did answer no for trolling purposes.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2013, 10:35:10 PM »

I'm not sure I buy the 'statistical noise' theory - 45 people who were pregnant were asked if they ever had sex and they said 'no' - that suggests some.... lack of knowledge among certain people. Although perhaps some did answer no for trolling purposes.

We're not claiming it's statistical noise.  It can't be solely statistical noise, because statistical noise doesn't apply when you're picking up on a population that doesn't exist.  We're claiming it's behavioral noise: you get enough people in a sample, and you'll inevitably have a few who provide inaccurate, combative, sarcastic, ironic, whatever, answers, and 1-in-200 doesn't seem drastically high.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2013, 10:51:36 PM »

That means we have 1.5 million Jesuses. Wait, Jesus can't be a woman, right? OK, 750,000 Jesuses.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2013, 10:55:57 PM »

We're not claiming it's statistical noise.  It can't be solely statistical noise, because statistical noise doesn't apply when you're picking up on a population that doesn't exist.  We're claiming it's behavioral noise: you get enough people in a sample, and you'll inevitably have a few who provide inaccurate, combative, sarcastic, ironic, whatever, answers, and 1-in-200 doesn't seem drastically high.

Plausible but I doubt it can explain all cases. Again, I recommend you read the abstract.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2013, 12:04:15 AM »

Plausible but I doubt it can explain all cases. Again, I recommend you read the abstract.

Sorry I used the term "statistical noise", but what Alcon is saying is correct.  I work for a polling firm and we see stuff like this all the time. We even did a survey where we asked online respondents to "enter 3". Do you think every single person did? I can't remember for sure, but I am pretty sure more than 0.5% did not pick 3. This is the same kind of principle.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2013, 01:52:00 AM »

No, you are not a bad person for saying that.  You are entirely sensible.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2004/05/19/german-couple-finds-out-stork-isnt-real/
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2013, 06:40:58 AM »

Standard polling stuff. Something like 2% of self-declared atheists accept Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior. People can be dumb.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2013, 07:23:32 AM »

When I read the headline, I thought "only". But that's because I thought of pregnancies caused by defloration.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2013, 07:28:55 AM »

Sounds like an Onion article. Kids born by mitosis would be a better article than banal old parthenogenesis, though.
Link
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2013, 09:01:20 AM »

The thing is you don't put people in a bright, spartan, sterile room and then stand there in a white coat with a clipboard and start asking them probing questions about their sex life... or alleged lack there of and expect 100% of the answers to make sense.  Especially if they come from a puritanical society like the US.

Also we are discussing pregnancy and if you've ever studied postpartum depression in depth that study result is not in any way surprising.  Given the demographic make up of this forum it's no surprise multiple people are not sensitive to these issues.  I mean I had to be lectured to by physicians at length before I had any clue about this stuff.

The population we are talking about is female, of childbearing age, and mostly white in all likelihood.  So you take a stressful and taboo event coupled with this graph...

Not surprising at all nor shocking.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2013, 09:06:41 AM »
« Edited: December 19, 2013, 09:09:45 AM by HockeyDude »

Standard polling stuff. Something like 2% of self-declared atheists accept Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior. People can be dumb.

Doesn't longtime Atlas Hero BRTD kind of fall into this category?  

Anyhoo, I'm with the above posters.  I would never expect any survey like this to be completely void of strange statistical noise.  Some of these girls probably had a dude bust in their general crotch area and got pregnant that way.  It's been known to happen, and I even think a major story in arc in the TV series Scrubs featured this phenomenon. 
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2013, 09:09:03 AM »

The average American doesn't have a college degree.  If people like that don't reproduce the country would die out.  Not everyone is a Rhodes Scholar.  Most people are pretty far from it.

Since when do you need a college degree to know how babies are made?
Link
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2013, 09:39:37 AM »

Since when do you need a college degree to know how babies are made?

Given the hyperbolic statement I was responding to you know what I am saying.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2013, 10:11:31 AM »

Sorry I used the term "statistical noise", but what Alcon is saying is correct.  I work for a polling firm and we see stuff like this all the time. We even did a survey where we asked online respondents to "enter 3". Do you think every single person did? I can't remember for sure, but I am pretty sure more than 0.5% did not pick 3. This is the same kind of principle.

Perhaps.... but what would then explain this (from the article):

You must be logged in to read this quote.

@Link: Ok, perhaps it's not that surprising, it is rather jolting.

(Also wow@ the level of Mental illness among American Indians/Alaska Natives. Again, not surprising but....)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2013, 10:51:38 AM »

Hey don't knock us "Christian Atheists" Wink

Actually, I don't accept Jesus as my "Lord and Saviour", but I do identify as a cultural Christian.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies