I Cant Believe I'm Writing This, But: "In Defense of Phil Robertson"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 10:29:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  I Cant Believe I'm Writing This, But: "In Defense of Phil Robertson"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: I Cant Believe I'm Writing This, But: "In Defense of Phil Robertson"  (Read 3475 times)
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2013, 10:02:09 AM »

A&E isn't the government and Phil Robertson isn't being charged with anything so I don't see what the big deal is. It's the same thing that happened to Paula Deen and Martin Bashir.

I think the network is well within its rights to suspend Robertson. That said, this habit of firing people when they make make an inappropriate remark is getting a bit tiring. People are so bloody sensitive these days.

It's the gay thing these days, Al.  Chick-Fil-A, Mr. Pasta Man, and now Duck Dynasty.  Ever since being racist was no longer socially acceptable, it's the gays that have gotten the brunt of far-right ire.  We are smack dab in the middle of the societal shift away from this attitude.  To use my state as an example, it was still totally cool to be a homophobe in NJ in 2005 when I graduated high school.  Now, a gay-hater is much, much more likely to be ostracized/rebuked/beat-up than a gay in NJ.  When you are in the middle of a shift like this, people are going to be sensitive about what it said and what is done.  We can argue all day whether or not that is right or wrong... but the fact of the matter is that it's reality.  Right now, in America, we are rapidly shifting into a gay-friendly society and rotten remarks against this group is just not going to be tolerated.  
Link
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2013, 10:41:02 AM »

To use my state as an example, it was still totally cool to be a homophobe in NJ in 2005 when I graduated high school.

Awesome statement.  I think that is one thing the adolescents on this forum don't get.  They think because things are a certain way based on their one or two years of high school experience they've always been that way.  I remember as a kid calling someone a f****t as a nonsexual insult was totally okay amongst boys.  No one would cringe or think it was weird or unacceptable.

When I clicked on this thread I thought it was going to be about that.  I mean I think the guy should be punished because the country is changing but I find his remarks a lot less disturbing than when someone in their 20s or even 30s says something like that.  We young guys should know better.  But even I remember when people a time not so long ago calling something "gay" because it sucked was not something you would get dinged for.  In fact this conversation reminds me of this BS...

I mean instead of teaching our children history let's just alter the dictionary.  That sounds like something Stalin or the Nazis would do.  And it leads to things like a lot of what is posted on this forum.  You have to learn your history to put things in context.  Simply learning your history is not condoning it.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2013, 12:45:21 PM »

Where was the outrage and sympathy for Martin Bashir he had "freedom of speech"
That was him using his right to free speech in the form of a vulgar threat. And he got fired for it. Every action has a reaction.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2013, 12:50:05 PM »

And now Bobby Jindal weighs in:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://gov.louisiana.gov/index.cfm?md=newsroom&tmp=detail&articleID=4374

Bolding mine. Tongue

All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2013, 12:55:26 PM »
« Edited: December 19, 2013, 12:57:52 PM by Progressive Realist »

As a side note: Where were the right-wingers, who apparently now value "free speech", when the Dixie Chicks' musical careers were derailed in 2003?

Rhetorical Question...
Link
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2013, 12:58:38 PM »

It's messed up when a "conservative" governor and potential presidential candidate thinks we should use the same standards to judge a 67 year old retired teacher trying to preach morality as we would use to judge a 21 year old who is purposely trying to be immoral to make a buck.

So we are comparing senior citizens who should know better to 21 year old confused kids?  The Republican party is a rudderless ship at see just blindly crashing into things.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2013, 01:03:38 PM »

As a side note: Where were the right-wingers, who apparently now value "free speech", when the Dixie Chicks' musical careers were derailed in 2003?

Rhetorical Question...
I was an eight year old who thought their comment was stupid and that radio stations had a right to decide if they want to defend them or throw them out the window.

As for the rest of the right wing, who cares? Do you really find Sarah Palin's opinion relevant?
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2013, 01:13:53 PM »

Rhetorical Question...
I was an eight year old who thought their comment was stupid and that radio stations had a right to decide if they want to defend them or throw them out the window.

As for the rest of the right wing, who cares? Do you really find Sarah Palin's opinion relevant?

That brings up a good point I think.  Free speech is not just a legal concept.  It is something we ought to respect in public life.  If someone has a legitimate political viewpoint, I don't think it's right to boycott them or treat them like a pariah. 

If the redneck guy on TV had expressed something unpopular about the government or policy, I would hope we didn't suspend him from TV.  But, there's something about saying derogatory things about a group of people that puts you outside what polite society ought to accept. 
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2013, 01:25:27 PM »

I'm not one to follow polls on this stuff, but is what he said really in the minority, even in today's clearly more enlightened world?
Link
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2013, 01:27:32 PM »

That brings up a good point I think.  Free speech is not just a legal concept.  It is something we ought to respect in public life.  If someone has a legitimate political viewpoint, I don't think it's right to boycott them or treat them like a pariah.

So Duckhomophob Idiot's rights outweigh my right to pick which TV shows I watch?  This guy has a right to say whatever moronic stuff he wants.  A&E or AMC has a right to pick who they have on their PRIVATE network and I have a right to pick which network I watch and who's products I buy.  We all have rights.  I respect his right to be an idiot and he by law must respect my right to call him an idiot.
Link
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2013, 01:28:47 PM »

I'm not one to follow polls on this stuff, but is what he said really in the minority, even in today's clearly more enlightened world?

Certainly not amongst his generation.  In the 1980s you could have said that and no one would have even noticed... Unlike Paula Deen's n-word debacle.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2013, 01:44:49 PM »

Certainly not amongst his generation.  In the 1980s you could have said that and no one would have even noticed... Unlike Paula Deen's n-word debacle.

My facebook friends are either appalled at this guy or they agree with him.  Quite a crew, they are.
Link
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2013, 02:00:56 PM »

My facebook friends are either appalled at this guy or they agree with him.  Quite a crew, they are.

Every single person in my family that is that age agrees homosexuality is a Biblical sin.  For someone that age to say it is not surprising nor unprecedented...  and ordinarily not remarkable.

I mean the guy needs to be made an example of because he is making seven figures and was told repeatedly to cool it.  Talking about homosexuality is not a core function of his job.  Even in the 80s my parents and older relatives didn't discuss homosexuality at work or in public.  I'm not sure why this guy has to wear his emotions on his leave.  Just shoot ducks, make millions, and leave it at that.  If you want to be a preacher quit the show and become a preacher.  It's a free country.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2013, 02:02:49 PM »

My facebook friends are either appalled at this guy or they agree with him.  Quite a crew, they are.

I've had a lot of FB friends post on this today too, mostly supporting Robertson.  I'm not really appalled by him.  But I am getting pretty tired of the "live as the Bible teaches" crowd and their insistence on condemning others publicly and then playing victim when they're called on it.  "Live as the Bible teaches," huh?  How about we draw out in detail what that really looks like and see how much picking and choosing Robertson and those who defend his comments do then?
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2013, 02:16:17 PM »

So Duckhomophob Idiot's rights outweigh my right to pick which TV shows I watch?  This guy has a right to say whatever moronic stuff he wants.  A&E or AMC has a right to pick who they have on their PRIVATE network and I have a right to pick which network I watch and who's products I buy.  We all have rights.  I respect his right to be an idiot and he by law must respect my right to call him an idiot.

Well, no because if you read on in what I said, I made it clear that what he said is not legitimate political discourse.  And, obviously, if you find someone distasteful, you can refuse to watch their TV show.  I didn't argue against that.  Don't put words in my mouth. 

But, I do think respecting other people's legitimate political opinions in the workplace is a part of free speech and respect for an open discourse.  Just like if you're an employee of Walmart, you should be able to talk about union organizing in your private life.  If you're an employee of CNBC, you should be able to advocate a higher minimum wage and breaking up the big banks.  You shouldn't be fired or disciplined for political beliefs, even if your employer does have the legal right to fire you at will.  And, in general as citizens, we shouldn't try to chill or censor speech that we dislike or disagree with.  Again, except if that speech is racist, homophobic, advocating violence or otherwise beyond the pale.  That's the line I would draw.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2013, 02:37:49 PM »

Duck Dynasty's real crime is that the show is actually really boring.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2013, 02:38:11 PM »

Rhetorical Question...

Double standards are necessary to be right wing.  
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2013, 03:07:02 PM »

Turns out he shared his opinions about the Negroes too:

"I never, with my eyes, saw the mistreatment of any black person. Not once," the reality star said of growing up in pre-Civil-Rights-era Louisiana. "Where we lived was all farmers. The blacks worked for the farmers. I hoed cotton with them. I'm with the blacks, because we're white trash. We're going across the field ... They're singing and happy. I never heard one of them, one black person, say, 'I tell you what: These doggone white people' — not a word!"

Robertson continued, "Pre-entitlement, pre-welfare, you say: Were they happy? They were godly; they were happy; no one was singing the blues."

http://tv.yahoo.com/blogs/tv-news/-duck-dynasty--star-phil-robertson-digs-his-hole-a-little-deeper-by-also-stinging-african-americans-173821415.html
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2013, 03:11:46 PM »

Turns out he shared his opinions about the Negroes too:

"I never, with my eyes, saw the mistreatment of any black person. Not once," the reality star said of growing up in pre-Civil-Rights-era Louisiana. "Where we lived was all farmers. The blacks worked for the farmers. I hoed cotton with them. I'm with the blacks, because we're white trash. We're going across the field ... They're singing and happy. I never heard one of them, one black person, say, 'I tell you what: These doggone white people' — not a word!"

Robertson continued, "Pre-entitlement, pre-welfare, you say: Were they happy? They were godly; they were happy; no one was singing the blues."

http://tv.yahoo.com/blogs/tv-news/-duck-dynasty--star-phil-robertson-digs-his-hole-a-little-deeper-by-also-stinging-african-americans-173821415.html

Wow.... just..... wow

DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2013, 03:14:52 PM »

Duck Dynasty's real crime is that the show is actually really boring.

"Hey"
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2013, 04:27:55 PM »

Yep, that's probably it for the show. You can recover from homophobic remarks, but not from racist ones
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2013, 04:30:17 PM »

Yep, that's probably it for the show. You can recover from homophobic remarks, but not from racist ones

Yep, done.  Let's see if the Moonshiners boys learn from this.  I've been waiting for a rant from one of them.
Link
« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2013, 05:19:11 PM »
« Edited: December 19, 2013, 05:24:15 PM by Link »

You shouldn't be fired or disciplined for political beliefs, even if your employer does have the legal right to fire you at will.

I'm not sure where you work... if you work but at all the places I've worked there is a PR office and the institution had a brand to protect.  If you said anything, ANYTHING to the press without prior clearance on ANY topic you could be canned that day.  When you get a job your purpose is to do as your boss tells you.  I'm always amazed at statements like this.
nuclearneo577
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.70

« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2013, 05:24:12 PM »

Why do I have the feeling that almost everybody else on the show feels the same as Phil and just haven't voiced their opinions to the public? It seems kinda weird that just Phil is in trouble over saying what I suspect they all think, although I maybe I'm being too cynical about this. I guess it's the end of a dynasty dumb show.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2013, 06:07:31 PM »

Why do I have the feeling that almost everybody else on the show feels the same as Phil and just haven't voiced their opinions to the public? It seems kinda weird that just Phil is in trouble over saying what I suspect they all think, although I maybe I'm being too cynical about this. I guess it's the end of a dynasty dumb show.

Martin has a master's degree in Biology.  There's hope for him at least.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies