I Cant Believe I'm Writing This, But: "In Defense of Phil Robertson"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 11:39:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  I Cant Believe I'm Writing This, But: "In Defense of Phil Robertson"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: I Cant Believe I'm Writing This, But: "In Defense of Phil Robertson"  (Read 3487 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2013, 10:23:42 PM »

The more recent statement, while dumb and sheltered (no LA blacks were singing the blues in the 50's and 60's? That's metaphorically and litterally incorrect as hell), wasn't overtly racist in a hateful and n-word overt kind of way. Duck Dynasty is a white hot mega-franchise that isn't likely to be sunk by these gaffes.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2013, 10:29:51 PM »

The more recent statement, while dumb and sheltered (no LA blacks were singing the blues in the 50's and 60's? That's metaphorically and litterally incorrect as hell), wasn't overtly racist in a hateful and n-word overt kind of way. Duck Dynasty is a white hot mega-franchise that isn't likely to be sunk by these gaffes.

Saying blacks were happier before civil rights is racist, and if he doesn't comprehend why they didn't share their discontent with him, well then he's more than a little dense.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2013, 10:50:19 PM »

"Blacks were more godly before the Civil Rights movement" is a pretty damn racist statement...
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2013, 11:06:35 PM »

Who even cares what some toothless yokel has to say to a magazine? That show always sucked anyway.

I wasn't really surprised by the remarks at all. I never watched the show but everyone I knew who was a fan would probably also fall into the "Toby Keith/ Larry the Cable Guy" crowd. I don't think the whole franchise is sunk though. If there's one thing I've learned living in Georgia, it's that white, small town religious people will always think hollywood is depraved except for that ONE actor /singer/ TV show/ movie that they like. That crowd has really latched on to Duck Dynasty so they'll probably want to throw even more money at them now.

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2013, 11:19:15 PM »

"Blacks were more godly before the Civil Rights movement" is a pretty damn racist statement...

Well, that's not exactly what he said. You and I both know that's what he implied, but the way he said it doesn't create nearly the same soundbite necessary to create a media firestorm. We both know style often trumps substance.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2013, 02:10:13 AM »

The folks who watch Duck Dynasty, in my experience, tend to skew conservative anyway.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #56 on: December 20, 2013, 02:18:09 AM »
« Edited: December 20, 2013, 02:50:14 AM by Is JCL in mushy sappy love »

If you think I'm taking Phil's side in this whole boondoggle, you'd be right. His statements on the marriage debate are not that much different than what I've said. Remember when Adrian Peterson of the Minneasota Vikings came out against gay marriage? Why wasn't he attacked by the left wing dominant media types? There's a clear double standard in how folks are treated when they say controversial things. Why does it seem that the only folks that get raked over the coals when they say contraversal stuff are straight Christian guys and Caucasians especially? Did Obama's pastor get called out by the media over the racist or anti-American things in some of his sermons (like his "Americans chickens have come home to roost."  or his Na na na Not God Bless America [Profanity Redacted] America."  After 9/11. No he didn't because the media was in the tank for Obama and the left.

The Dixie Chicks derailed for the fact that they weren't all that great as artists more than for whatever comments they said over the War on Terror.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #57 on: December 20, 2013, 02:39:34 AM »

So it took these latest statements for A&E to realize the old white rural southern male hunter and self described "red neck" had less than PC views on gays and minorities?

I suspect the cutting room floor of Duck Dynasty is full of 'colorful' comments about his (and his kids) views on the world.
Mordecai
Australia

« Reply #58 on: December 20, 2013, 03:54:45 AM »

If you think I'm taking Phil's side in this whole boondoggle, you'd be right. His statements on the marriage debate are not that much different than what I've said. Remember when Adrian Peterson of the Minneasota Vikings came out against gay marriage? Why wasn't he attacked by the left wing dominant media types? There's a clear double standard in how folks are treated when they say controversial things. Why does it seem that the only folks that get raked over the coals when they say contraversal stuff are straight Christian guys and Caucasians especially?
Not really, that's just a martyr complex of straight white Christian guys who are mad that's it's not 1950 anymore and that people would be offended at their intolerant views. They're free to say what they want just as other people are free to call them out on it and the network is free to remove them from the show because they don't want to be associated with homophobia. Isn't that what libertarians believe in, anyway? That the network can choose whether they continue to have him on the show, based on consumer criticism? Shouldn't you be against the homophobes because the gays didn't do any deserve this kind of bigotry?

And there's a difference between what Phil Robertson said versus what Adrian Peterson said, it's the same difference that separates Chris Christie from the rest of the Republicans. He didn't demonize gays or try to turn them into something less than human, he just plainly said he didn't believe in same-sex marriage. Peterson's still wrong on the issue but he wasn't actually homophobic in his remarks like Robertson.

Did Obama's pastor get called out by the media over the racist or anti-American things in some of his sermons (like his "Americans chickens have come home to roost."  or his Na na na Not God Bless America [Profanity Redacted] America."  After 9/11. No he didn't because the media was in the tank for Obama and the left.
Wright doesn't have his own TV show (Martin Bashir did, so don't start with that liberal media nonsense in a landscape dominated by corporate media) and he was scrutinized by the media. That's why Obama publically disowned him and left his church. Why doesn't the media do the same to white Republican fundamentalist Christians?

The Dixie Chicks derailed for the fact that they weren't all that great as artists more than for whatever comments they said over the War on Terror.
No, they were crucified by the media and right-wing for that. It says a lot about you that you would even defend discrimination against gays but put down war protest. Also, Duck Dynasty isn't that great of a show, that's why Phil Robertson was derailed.
Link
« Reply #59 on: December 20, 2013, 09:59:11 AM »

Well the whole general statement was your typical Ronald Reagan racist dog whistle.  Except it was more of just a regular whistle that we all heard loud and clear.  I mean you had all the ingredients.  Blacks, welfare, "good ol' days," etc.  The guy was just parroting the modern racist stuff from the GOP script.  "Welfare is just creating lazy blacks."  I mean black people are upset because they are getting financial support from the government.
Link
« Reply #60 on: December 20, 2013, 10:01:52 AM »

So it took these latest statements for A&E to realize the old white rural southern male hunter and self described "red neck" had less than PC views on gays and minorities?

I suspect the cutting room floor of Duck Dynasty is full of 'colorful' comments about his (and his kids) views on the world.

You obviously don't know why this guy got a little vacation.  You can think and say whatever you want in private.  But when you go to the press and start spouting that stuff that's when your boss is going to have an issue.  Do people on this forum not have jobs?
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #61 on: December 20, 2013, 12:59:26 PM »

All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #62 on: December 20, 2013, 01:22:35 PM »

Duck Dynasty's real crime is that the show is actually really boring.

Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #63 on: December 20, 2013, 01:44:08 PM »

I refuse to acknowledge this whole event except on a meta- level, so will share with you this car crash of a statement:

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/gop-congressional-candidate-compares-duck-dynasty-star-to-rosa-parks
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #64 on: December 20, 2013, 01:48:36 PM »

Oh, dear.
Link
« Reply #65 on: December 20, 2013, 02:07:29 PM »

I refuse to acknowledge this whole event except on a meta- level, so will share with you this car crash of a statement:

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/gop-congressional-candidate-compares-duck-dynasty-star-to-rosa-parks

African Americans voted for Obama at a rate of 98+% because they are racist... no other reason.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #66 on: December 20, 2013, 04:05:29 PM »

You'll start to get more of this. There is a section of society in America that are really pissed they can't joke about fags. I mean after all, they are f****ts. Am I right? They can't go after the ns or the kikes or the spics anymore. Hell, when some of the spics go after the ns with a shot gun, they're almost like a proper 'good 'ole boy.' So if you want to go after the fags, use religion. Religion is so sacrosanct in public life (even when it's under attack by the godless atheists at Christmas) and because religion doesn't really have a go at the ns anymore but still has a go at the fags with all their butt sex and AIDS and molesting boys and now those fags are on TV and in the schools and getting married and stuff, if they can still go after the fags and say it's just my freedom of religion, then when people say it's a bad thing to do because the fags might have feelings and sh-t they can say it's just another godless attack on religion. Because that's what Christianity is all about for some Americans; being able to hate f****ts with the wind of god at your sails. Because if you can't hate f****ts anymore. Who can you hate? Maybe Muslims...
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #67 on: December 21, 2013, 05:00:58 AM »

You obviously don't know why this guy got a little vacation.  You can think and say whatever you want in private.  But when you go to the press and start spouting that stuff that's when your boss is going to have an issue.  Do people on this forum not have jobs?

Of course I know why they did it. My point was this guy was a ticking time-bomb. They grabbed a bigoted backwoods redneck and made him a national media star. They should have seen this coming. And my other point was that I'm sure that he has said many inappropriate things during the filming of the show that they just edit it. They created a sanitized version of the guy that was acceptable, but we now see the real person that A&E always knew was there.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #68 on: December 21, 2013, 03:47:43 PM »

You gotta love the fact that the very same people "outraged" about this are the same people who vehemently oppose ENDA.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #69 on: December 21, 2013, 04:25:04 PM »

You gotta love the fact that the very same people "outraged" about this are the same people who vehemently oppose ENDA.

Because in right-wing America's bizarre logic...

Private businesses have a right to fire people for being gay.

Private businesses do not have the right to fire people for hating gay people.

Also, I was dining in a local Harris County eatery and saw a very heavyset couple at the table next to mine; the woman was wearing one of Phil Robertson's "HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY" t-shirts.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #70 on: December 21, 2013, 05:50:05 PM »

Of course I know why they did it. My point was this guy was a ticking time-bomb. They grabbed a bigoted backwoods redneck and made him a national media star. They should have seen this coming. And my other point was that I'm sure that he has said many inappropriate things during the filming of the show that they just edit it. They created a sanitized version of the guy that was acceptable, but we now see the real person that A&E always knew was there.

Of course they'd edit that out -- Duck Dynasty is a heavily scripted reality show.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #71 on: December 21, 2013, 06:24:46 PM »

Robertson Family, circa 2001.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #72 on: December 21, 2013, 10:52:00 PM »

I feel bad for their kids. How could they actually want to be a part of this?
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #73 on: December 22, 2013, 07:15:05 PM »

I feel bad for their kids. How could they actually want to be a part of this?

fame; money
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #74 on: December 22, 2013, 07:24:09 PM »

Louisiana Lt. Gov Dardenne offers state aid to keep "Duck Dynasty" on the air.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies