PPP: White Americans agree Santa is verifiably white & they like Megyn Kelly
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:54:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  PPP: White Americans agree Santa is verifiably white & they like Megyn Kelly
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: PPP: White Americans agree Santa is verifiably white & they like Megyn Kelly  (Read 4963 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2013, 05:43:38 AM »

I notice that people who didn't vote for President are twice as likely to think they made Santa's naughty list than people who voted for either Obama or Romney.
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2013, 06:45:14 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Nope, this party isn't racist.
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2013, 06:51:18 AM »

Why would you be offended?
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2013, 07:47:12 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Nope, this party isn't racist.

It's racist to have a negative opinion of a made up celebration that is a pastiche of various African traditions and leftist politics with a faux menorah that serves as its centerpiece?  Granted, the organizers of Kwanzaa have toned down the political aspects from its early days and no longer insist that it be a replacement for Christmas, but I suspect that most, if not all, of those 29% of Republicans who do have a positive opinion only know it's some sort of black holiday and have no knowledge of the rest of it.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2013, 11:03:43 AM »

Some picture of Pancho Claus, apparently a South Texas tradition.

http://news.yahoo.com/photos/pancho-claus-the-tex-mex-santa-slideshow/
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2013, 03:32:30 PM »

Hispanics are more likely to think they are on the naughty list. Maybe because they are less likely to believe in Santa?  And why are more of them offended by "Merry Christmas"? 

Democrats think Santa is a Democrat. Republicans aren't so sure.

Santa has a gender gap.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2013, 03:37:34 PM »

I suspect that most, if not all, of those 29% of Republicans who do have a positive opinion [of Kwanzaa] only know it's some sort of black holiday and have no knowledge of the rest of it.

Uh huh.  And the 48% who disapprove of it are experts on it, right?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2013, 03:42:17 PM »

I celebrate Whiteza, like all good Americans.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2013, 03:47:36 PM »

Of course the guy itself does not exist.

But the claims by Megyn Kelly that Santa Claus is verifiably white are just as stupid as the claims that Jesus was verifiably white. Both were Middle Eastern man.

Wouldn't most "Middle Easterners" count as "white" according to the US Census bureau's definitions?
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2013, 04:18:20 PM »

I suspect that most, if not all, of those 29% of Republicans who do have a positive opinion [of Kwanzaa] only know it's some sort of black holiday and have no knowledge of the rest of it.

Uh huh.  And the 48% who disapprove of it are experts on it, right?

Not necessarily, but I fail to see how anyone who isn't a true leftist who has any knowledge of Kwanzaa and its origins would have a favorable opinion of the holiday.  I think we can all agree there are few, if any, true leftists in the Republican Party these days.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2013, 04:28:15 PM »

Okay, I'll put it another way for you:

The same applies to the 48% who disapprove of it.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2013, 04:39:19 PM »

Okay, I'll put it another way for you:

The same applies to the 48% who disapprove of it.

Come now, you can do better than that with your broad generalizations.  Such as  "No doubt Republicans who support Kwanzaa do so in hopes that by having blacks celebrate that holiday instead of Christmas, they can keep Santa Claus white."
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2013, 04:41:15 PM »

Uh, I countered your broad generalization with another one.  At least they were equally plausible, unlike whatever you just posted.
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2013, 11:02:08 PM »

Yup he summed up why it's racist in his own post. Most people just know that Kwanzaa is what some black people do at Christmastime. Having a negative opinion of that....lol. Little things like this and Duck Dynasty just pop up every week and confirm to minorities that they're not welcome. But keep trying I guess.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2013, 01:09:13 AM »

Santa is verifiably Greek, which is usually considered white.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2013, 01:33:37 AM »

Uh, I countered your broad generalization with another one.  At least they were equally plausible, unlike whatever you just posted.

You really think it's plausible that most, if not all, of the Republicans who have a negative opinion of Kwanzaa do so because it's a black holiday, particularly when there are multiple reasons such as its lack of real tradition and its leftist orientation that have nothing to do with race for conservatives to dislike Kwanzaa?  Even if blacks were equally attracted to the two parties, I'd still expect Republicans to be generally disdainful of Kwanzaa.  As I said, given the nature of the holiday, I'd expect that only Republicans who don't know any details about what is supposed to be celebrated at Kwanzaa would have a positive opinion of it.

(That isn't to say that there aren't some Republicans who dislike Kwanzaa who know only that it is a black holiday, but the progressive penchant for staining all Republicans with the sins of some Republicans is not particularly attractive.)
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2013, 07:49:50 AM »

But the claims by Megyn Kelly that Santa Claus is verifiably white are just as stupid as the claims that Jesus was verifiably white. Both were Middle Eastern man.

Wouldn't most "Middle Easterners" count as "white" according to the US Census bureau's definitions?

Yes, along with Iranians and Afghanstanis. Then again, that's the same Census Bureau which considers Chinese and Indians to be the same race.
Also, it doesn't seem that most Americans would consider Middle Easterners white. Unless of course they're integrated (as most Christian Arabs) in which case no one distinguishes them from whites. So Megyn Kelly is perhaps as not as preposterously wrong as some claim here...
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2013, 03:09:41 PM »

Japanese Santa Claus likes swimming with sharks.  ¿Muy hentai?  

Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2013, 08:50:16 PM »

The preacher at the Christmas Eve service I just got back from indirectly referenced this and pointed out that Jesus was Mediterranean.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2013, 08:56:39 PM »

Since when is Lycia in the Middle East?  The Ionian coastline is clearly in the Near East.  I mean, the term Near East exists for "Greece and Turkey," what's with this bizarre push to put Turkey in the Middle East?
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2013, 09:14:47 PM »

Since when is Lycia in the Middle East?  The Ionian coastline is clearly in the Near East.  I mean, the term Near East exists for "Greece and Turkey," what's with this bizarre push to put Turkey in the Middle East?

Actually, as originally used, the Near East was a synonym for the Ottoman Empire and the Middle East was Persia, Central Asia, and the Indian subcontinent.  After the Great War and the collapse of the Ottoman Empire, the term Near East faded out of non-academic use and the Middle East shifted westward until its common usage today includes Turkey.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: December 25, 2013, 03:56:14 AM »

You really think it's plausible that most, if not all, of the Republicans who have a negative opinion of Kwanzaa do so because it's a black holiday, particularly when there are multiple reasons such as its lack of real tradition and its leftist orientation that have nothing to do with race for conservatives to dislike Kwanzaa?  Even if blacks were equally attracted to the two parties, I'd still expect Republicans to be generally disdainful of Kwanzaa.  As I said, given the nature of the holiday, I'd expect that only Republicans who don't know any details about what is supposed to be celebrated at Kwanzaa would have a positive opinion of it.

(That isn't to say that there aren't some Republicans who dislike Kwanzaa who know only that it is a black holiday, but the progressive penchant for staining all Republicans with the sins of some Republicans is not particularly attractive.)

I think a lot of Republicans don't like Kwanzaa because they see it as a black substitute for Christmas.  As in, people created a holiday based on their race because they didn't like the idea of celebrating Jesus. Opposition is probably more religiously based than anything.  (And of course one could argue till the cows come home over whether opposition by whites to nonwhite race-based institutions and practices is itself racist.)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #47 on: December 25, 2013, 06:46:17 AM »

I think a lot of Republicans don't like Kwanzaa because they see it as a black substitute for Christmas.  As in, people created a holiday based on their race because they didn't like the idea of celebrating Jesus. Opposition is probably more religiously based than anything.  (And of course one could argue till the cows come home over whether opposition by whites to nonwhite race-based institutions and practices is itself racist.)

As it was originally conceived, Kwanzaa was intended as a substitute, tho its creator no longer is insistent upon that.
Link
« Reply #48 on: December 25, 2013, 02:46:49 PM »

It's racist to have a negative opinion of a made up celebration...

All celebrations are made up.  By that logic I could say I hate Jewish holidays and everything they stand for and no Jew should feel offended.

It's racist to have a negative opinion of a made up celebration that is a pastiche of various African traditions and leftist politics with a faux menorah that serves as its centerpiece?

Man I wish in the real world white people cared enough about African Americans to have this amount of in depth knowledge about them.  Frankly I don't think the vast majority of African Americans could tell you anything relevant and true about Kwanza not sure why you think the average white person could.

I think in the real world you ask Republicans what they think about Kwanza and they furrow their brow and ask, "Is that a black thing?"  You say, yes.  And they say I hate it.  I've never seen any evidence that any more thought than that goes into it.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies