Forty Million Target accounts may have been involved in data breach
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:40:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Forty Million Target accounts may have been involved in data breach
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Forty Million Target accounts may have been involved in data breach  (Read 970 times)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 19, 2013, 01:29:57 PM »

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2013/12/19/target-accounts-may-involved-breach/X2I25RpfEBsU2UmAnFDatM/story.html
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Link
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 02:10:20 PM »

Thanks Obama!  This is why healthcare.gov sucks.  40 million accounts?  It takes the federal government to screw up like that.  This wouldn't happen at a private company and if it did it would not be on this scale.  I am just glad the Republicans in Congress are investigating this and really putting heat on those responsible for letting this happen.  Now you know why I stick to the private sector.  Their websites and networks never screw up this bad.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 02:15:46 PM »

Thanks Obama!  This is why healthcare.gov sucks.  40 million accounts?  It takes the federal government to screw up like that.  This wouldn't happen at a private company and if it did it would not be on this scale.  I am just glad the Republicans in Congress are investigating this and really putting heat on those responsible for letting this happen.  Now you know why I stick to the private sector.  Their websites and networks never screw up this bad.

Easy friend.  Healthcare.gov is in its infancy.  You may be eating these words in a bit.  Wink
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 02:17:04 PM »

Guess that's why Discover sent me a new card, while being incredibly vague about it.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 03:45:48 PM »

Guess that's why Discover sent me a new card, while being incredibly vague about it.
lol

Dear Value Customer:

Here is a new card.  Isn't it pretty?  We think so.  BURN YOUR OLD CARD IMMEDIATELY.

Happy Holidays,
Discover.
Link
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 05:29:18 PM »

Easy friend.  Healthcare.gov is in its infancy.  You may be eating these words in a bit.  Wink

The point is if healthcare.gov has a breach of this magnitude (which is within the realm of possibility) it's because it is a a large complex computer system... not because it is run by the government.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2013, 07:28:15 PM »

Crap, I bought something at Target on Black Friday. How do I know if I need to change my cards or something?
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2013, 07:47:48 PM »

Crap, I bought something at Target on Black Friday. How do I know if I need to change my cards or something?

Check to see if anyone has used your card, or contact your card provider.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2013, 08:08:25 PM »

If it was a credit card, just check your statement closely, as you ought to do anyway, and you should be good.  If it was a debit card, especially one linked to your primary checking account, then get a new card.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2013, 10:10:57 PM »

If it was a credit card, just check your statement closely, as you ought to do anyway, and you should be good.  If it was a debit card, especially one linked to your primary checking account, then get a new card.

In this particular case, it appears the thieves are aggressively cloning cards. Even if you haven't been defrauded yet, I would strongly recommend you contact your bank to cancel your current card and obtain a new one. It's free, takes very little time, and could save you a world of hassle.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2013, 03:28:37 PM »

http://www.ny1.com/content/news/200912/reports-say-hackers-may-have-obtained-bank-pins-in-target-breach

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2013, 12:33:03 AM »

Imagine if these guys were running the ObamaCare website.

But since Democrats can't be blamed, this story probably goes quickly away.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2014, 02:16:40 PM »

http://blogs.marketwatch.com/behindthestorefront/2014/01/17/a-17-year-old-is-reportedly-author-behind-malware-that-led-to-targets-data-breach/

Apparently the malware writer responsible is 16 going on 17 and Russian.
New_Conservative
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2014, 03:02:44 PM »

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2014/01/20/border-arrests-could-be-related-to-target-breach/

NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2014, 05:38:42 PM »

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-03-13/target-missed-alarms-in-epic-hack-of-credit-card-data

While 40 million Target accounts were stolen, Target staff senior, and otherwise apparently did.... nothing.

Don't you love corporate America?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2014, 01:44:50 AM »

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-03-13/target-missed-alarms-in-epic-hack-of-credit-card-data

While 40 million Target accounts were stolen, Target staff senior, and otherwise apparently did.... nothing.

Don't you love corporate America?

Clearly we need less regulation, so that the free market will solve the problem.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies