2014 state ballot measures
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:01:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2014 state ballot measures
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: 2014 state ballot measures  (Read 3956 times)
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 19, 2013, 04:13:02 PM »

There's going to be a lot more in 2014 than there were in 2013.

Already at 52 measures as of Nov. 2013: http://ballotpedia.org/2014_ballot_measures
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 05:40:22 PM »

Yep, quite amazing already. This is a great opportunity for citizens to decide the issues instead of the politicians.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 05:58:02 PM »

http://ballotpedia.org/Alabama_American_and_Alabama_Laws_for_Alabama_Courts_Amendment,_SB_4_%282014%29

So, this will pass, right?
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 06:25:22 PM »

It looks like a common sense thing that the citizens of Alabama will probably pass, yes.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 12:16:51 PM »

I really want the Indiana legislature to pass the anti-gay marriage amendment so we can bury pass it in a referendum this November.

You can be sure I will dedicate myself to canvassing the Region to get support against for it.

That's much better.
senyor_brownbear
Rookie

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 02:14:57 PM »

I really want the Indiana legislature to pass the anti-gay marriage amendment so we can bury pass it in a referendum this November.

You can be sure I will dedicate myself to canvassing the Region to get support against for it.

That's much better.

Lol there's no reason in the world for you to be optimistic about this issue.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 02:22:50 PM »

This is going to end well...
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 03:03:40 PM »

That's much better.

Dude, just come out of the closet and admit that you hate gay people. It's cute how you say you don't and try to make gay marriage into a political football, but it's so obvious you're nothing but a faux-libertarian bigot.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2014, 03:35:18 PM »

http://ballotpedia.org/New_York_Independent_Redistricting_Amendment_%282014%29

Who's idea was it to put that on the ballot there? Dems would've probably had the State Senate by 2020 and could've did some gerrymandering.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2014, 03:35:40 AM »

That's much better.

Dude, just come out of the closet and admit that you hate gay people. It's cute how you say you don't and try to make gay marriage into a political football, but it's so obvious you're nothing but a faux-libertarian bigot.
Eh, a hater is just going to hate. I just find it funny that he calls himself a Libertarian, yet he endorses all of these Tea Party guys and is anti-SSM. We're both running for Mideast Assembly to, so this should get really interesting.

As for topic at hand, Freedom Ohio and the Ohio Rights Group are starting to collect signatures in an effort to get 2 things on the ballot in November 2014: same-sex marriage and medical marijuana legalization. The Freedom to Marry and Religious Freedom Amendment would override Ohio's ban on it, but would not prohibit a separation of church and state when it comes to the matter. Currently, 56% of Ohioans support the Amendment. The Ohio Cannabis Rights Amendment would legalize marijuana for medical purposes and hemp for industrial needs. Both need 385,000 signatures to get on the ballot and luckily, the FtM Amendment already has more signatures than needed, but the OCR Amendment is lagging behind with only 30,000. Personally, if both get on the ballot, I'm obviously voting for FtM, but OCR I'm leaning against.

So it seems likely to pass in Ohio if a federal judge or SCOTUS doesn't rule by election time. Given how more conservative Indiana is though, it will be much closer, but I'm hoping for the best there to!
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2014, 10:37:36 AM »

That's much better.

Eh, a hater is just going to hate. I just find it funny that he calls himself a Libertarian, yet he endorses all of these Tea Party guys and is anti-SSM. We're both running for Mideast Assembly to, so this should get really interesting.

As for topic at hand, Freedom Ohio and the Ohio Rights Group are starting to collect signatures in an effort to get 2 things on the ballot in November 2014: same-sex marriage and medical marijuana legalization. The Freedom to Marry and Religious Freedom Amendment would override Ohio's ban on it, but would not prohibit a separation of church and state when it comes to the matter. Currently, 56% of Ohioans support the Amendment. The Ohio Cannabis Rights Amendment would legalize marijuana for medical purposes and hemp for industrial needs. Both need 385,000 signatures to get on the ballot and luckily, the FtM Amendment already has more signatures than needed, but the OCR Amendment is lagging behind with only 30,000. Personally, if both get on the ballot, I'm obviously voting for FtM, but OCR I'm leaning against.

So it seems likely to pass in Ohio if a federal judge or SCOTUS doesn't rule by election time. Given how more conservative Indiana is though, it will be much closer, but I'm hoping for the best there to!

Well the last polling (Indiana is a prude about regulating polling. It’s ridiculous) shows 54% oppose the Amendment banning gay marriage, while tying 45% - 45% on legalizing it. That was last year, so I can only hope more oppose the ban/support legalizing.

I’m really hoping that Indiana pulls through and buries it. If a deeply-conservative state like Indiana defeats an anti-SSM Amendment, that would practically be a death-knell for the anti-gay marriage crowd.
greenforest32

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2014, 01:33:36 AM »

Already at 52 measures as of Nov. 2013: http://ballotpedia.org/2014_ballot_measures

Up to 85 as of April 2014.
GaussLaw
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2014, 09:29:48 AM »

I really want the Indiana legislature to pass the anti-gay marriage amendment so we can bury it in a referendum this November.

You can be sure I will dedicate myself to canvassing the Region to get support against it.

I'm a little curious about "The Region" or Northwest Indiana as it seems to be one of the few places where blue-collar whites vote Democrat, especially in places like Hammond and Griffith.  Are these whites fiscally liberal/socially conservative or are they more social moderates?  I've been through the area and see a lot of pro-union stuff, far more than places like Elkhart and Muncie.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2014, 10:53:58 AM »

Really hoping the Personhood amendments are defeated. We won in Mississippi three years ago, we can win in North Dakota, we will win in Colorado based on the huge defeats Personhood had in '08 and 2010, and the polls show we're winning big in Tennessee.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2014, 01:52:51 PM »

Who's idea was it to put that on the ballot there? Dems would've probably had the State Senate by 2020 and could've did some gerrymandering.
Then it's a good thing this is on the ballot
Kushahontas
floating_to_sea
Kenya

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2014, 02:22:47 PM »

Then it's a good thing this is on the ballot
greenforest32

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2014, 01:47:59 AM »

Up to 85 as of April 2014.

It's reached 126 measures at the end of July 2014. Most states have passed their initiative signature deadlines by now so there's probably not going to be many more in the next three months before the general election, just potential certification of proposals already turned in and maybe some more referrals from state legislatures.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2014, 06:37:19 PM »

Final count is at 148.
greenforest32

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2014, 12:27:58 AM »

bump

Looks like marijuana legalization passed in DC (~69%-31% w/ 100% in) and probably in Oregon too (passing 54%-46% w/ 67% in). The Florida medical marijuana measure hit about 58% yes but that means it fails since it's a constitutional amendment and FL constitutional amendments need 60% to pass. Results aren't in for the Alaska initiative yet.
greenforest32

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2014, 03:08:19 AM »

Here's a good link for the results across multiple states on a single page: http://elections.huffingtonpost.com/2014/results/ballot-measures

The counting should be finished sometime tomorrow on most of them.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2014, 03:19:27 AM »

Alaska: legal pot possession winning slightly, minimum wage raise KILLING IT, pushing 70%.  the min wage issue plays everywhere, too bad the Dems' corporate masters won't let them go full throttle
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2014, 03:32:08 AM »

Background checks win out in Washington, reducing class sizes leaning slightly toward a "No" victory
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2014, 03:35:25 AM »

Lol, why did Arizona put a pay rise for legislators on the ballot? Who thought that would have a snowball's chance of surviving?

Glad about the Alaska mining ban in salmon areas and amused by the fact that Arkansas is too conservative to ditch alcohol prohibition.

Also two seemingly contradictory laws are ahead in Washington, which is ... odd.

North Dakota rejected almost everything on the ballot. Tricky customer is ND.
fivex
Rookie

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2014, 04:16:25 AM »

I am pleased that the minimum wage increases are all passing by fairly large margins.
Lol, why did Arizona put a pay rise for legislators on the ballot? Who thought that would have a snowball's chance of surviving?
The Arizona Legislature has put it on the ballot every two years since 200. Except for 2010 and 2012 for some reason. It's always failed.
I'm pretty disappointed that the state sovereignty thing here is probably going to pass. But it's probably going to get ruled unconstitutional shortly after the state government tries to rule a federal law unconstitutional, fortunately.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2014, 04:23:52 AM »

The Arizona Legislature has put it on the ballot every two years since 200. Except for 2010 and 2012 for some reason. It's always failed.

do they have to, via some provision in the state constitution, rather than simply raising it through legislative-executive power?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies