How has rural America changed over the past several decades?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 10:59:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  How has rural America changed over the past several decades?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How has rural America changed over the past several decades?  (Read 805 times)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 19, 2013, 05:06:28 PM »

Is there even such a thing as "rural America"?

For example, the rural South is quite different from rural New England/Northeast, and both overlap with their respective edges of rural Appalachia. Meanwhile, the rural Midwest is different from the Great Plains. And just look at the West; California has several different types of rural areas-each with its own distinctive culture, geography, and history.

I am curious, though, about how particular rural areas have changed in America. I know we have a number of rural posters here (though a definite minority Tongue ), so I am especially interested in their thoughts in this thread.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 07:24:59 PM »

The most important would be the continued decline in the number of people working on the land. Then there's the deindustrialisation of most of the various rural-industrial districts (mines or textiles, makes no difference). Then there's the further encroach of urban life in rural areas closer - or, to be more accurate in many cases, more accessible to - the larger metropolitan regions (this is more immediately obvious in the U.S.A. than other industrialised countries because of criminally lax planning regulations). Then there's the tendency for services to centralise around larger and larger towns (and so to decline precipitously in smaller ones). And, of course, the tendency for an increasing share of agricultural labour to be performed by migrants of one type or another. That kind of thing. At that essentially abstract level it's the same in every industrialised country.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 08:04:55 PM »

The most important would be the continued decline in the number of people working on the land. Then there's the deindustrialisation of most of the various rural-industrial districts (mines or textiles, makes no difference). Then there's the further encroach of urban life in rural areas closer - or, to be more accurate in many cases, more accessible to - the larger metropolitan regions (this is more immediately obvious in the U.S.A. than other industrialised countries because of criminally lax planning regulations). Then there's the tendency for services to centralise around larger and larger towns (and so to decline precipitously in smaller ones). And, of course, the tendency for an increasing share of agricultural labour to be performed by migrants of one type or another. That kind of thing. At that essentially abstract level it's the same in every industrialised country.

Good analysis, thanks.

A friend of mine from Michigan told me recently that so many formerly prosperous towns and districts throughout the state have been absolutely hollowed out by de-industrialization and population decline. At the same time, there has been an explosion in the growth of sprawling subdivisions all over-and not just in the metropolitan areas, but in areas further and further out in the countryside (or what was once the countryside, anyway).

What do you make of the phenomenon of rural districts turning into extensions of suburban/exurban sprawl? Tongue (And I'm not just referring to areas lying directly outside the cities, but even further out)....

One more side note: A lot of the community functions and services of smaller towns have disappeared entirely. For example, many Catholic churches in the rural Midwest have closed down. That's just one example; there are plenty more.

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 10:15:50 PM »

Has anything NOT changed over the past several decades?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 07:15:26 PM »

Has anything NOT changed over the past several decades?

More things stay the same than change, actually. And the most important change often happens at a pace that's difficult to clearly observe.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 07:29:54 PM »

A friend of mine from Michigan told me recently that so many formerly prosperous towns and districts throughout the state have been absolutely hollowed out by de-industrialization and population decline. At the same time, there has been an explosion in the growth of sprawling subdivisions all over-and not just in the metropolitan areas, but in areas further and further out in the countryside (or what was once the countryside, anyway).

Yes, this is an international trend.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I dislike it intensely (shocking, I know). Of course it isn't just bad for the countryside (however defined), it's also bad for the city.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Yes; you see this everywhere as well. Any service - including churches, voluntary organisations and so on - has a minimum number of participants (or consumers, or customers, or members, or whatever: depends on the type of organisation) that it can't survive falling below. In the area I grew up in there are now too many pubs for the number of potential/actual customers, so they are never all operating at the same time (exactly which are closed tends to change, of course).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies