The Wire vs. South Park
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:22:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Wire vs. South Park
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Which is better?
The Wire

South Park

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 32

Author Topic: The Wire vs. South Park  (Read 902 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 20, 2013, 01:33:32 AM »

Despite still haven't watched it yet, I'm quite comfortable voting for The Wire in this one.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 01:35:54 AM »

The Wire is amazing of course but you're way too hard on South Park man.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 01:38:10 AM »

It's such an annoying and irritating pile of horsesh!t. Nothing but "HAHA CELEBRITY REFERENCE OMG HOW FUNNY!" "OMG SHOCK VALUE HAR HAR, WE'RE BEING "EDGY" AND "OFFENSIVE"!" and "HAR HAR RIGHT WING HAR HAR LIBERALS SUCK!" over and over and over...
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 01:39:57 AM »

It's such an annoying and irritating pile of horsesh!t. Nothing but "HAHA CELEBRITY REFERENCE OMG HOW FUNNY!" "OMG SHOCK VALUE HAR HAR, WE'RE BEING "EDGY" AND "OFFENSIVE"!" and "HAR HAR RIGHT WING HAR HAR LIBERALS SUCK!" over and over and over...

And yet Sneakers O' Toole is the pinnacle of comedic achievement?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 01:43:36 AM »

And yet Sneakers O' Toole is the pinnacle of comedic achievement?

Yes. It has so many levels of meaning to it and is a brilliant subversion of the expectations of the show. As I've pointed out before, note this in depth analysis: http://theconvictor.livejournal.com/76961.html
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 04:15:26 AM »

A pointless cutaway that one can read more or less however one likes by virtue of how devoid it is of any contextual meaning or significance is not a 'subversion of the expectations of' Family Guy. It is, rather, itself among the expectations of Family Guy.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2013, 04:28:06 AM »

Just let him sperg it out, Nathan.  Nothing to see here.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 06:20:52 AM »

I haven't watched The Wire and don't really have any interest in doing so, so South Park by default.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 06:22:31 AM »
« Edited: December 20, 2013, 06:25:01 AM by Snowstalker »

why

Also, no. There is absolutely no deeper meaning to Sneakers O'Toole; it is a lazy 20-second piece of filler because the writers don't know how to tell a story and must resort to a cutaway gag a minute. Say what you will about South Park, but at least the jokes there serve to advance (or at least go along with) the story.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2013, 10:40:54 AM »

A pointless cutaway that one can read more or less however one likes by virtue of how devoid it is of any contextual meaning or significance is not a 'subversion of the expectations of' Family Guy. It is, rather, itself among the expectations of Family Guy.

The main joke, as someone else pointed out once, is that Brian, normally the calm and rational voice of reason, is introducing such an absurd, ridiculous and out of nowhere character. And in such a calm deadpan manner at that.

I haven't watched The Wire and don't really have any interest in doing so, so South Park by default.

lolz lolz lolz dumb teenager.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2013, 03:04:36 PM »

The main joke, as someone else pointed out once, is that Brian, normally the calm and rational voice of reason, is introducing such an absurd, ridiculous and out of nowhere character. And in such a calm deadpan manner at that.

I guess I could conceivably be wrong about this, but I highly doubt that that is the only time that Brian has been the lead-in to one of the cutaways.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2013, 04:24:32 PM »

Just let him sperg it out, Nathan.  Nothing to see here.

This piece of advice helped me. Would read from this poster again.

A+++++++++family guy sucks+++++++++++++++
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2013, 05:06:00 PM »

You are 30 years old.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2013, 05:06:52 PM »
« Edited: December 20, 2013, 05:21:51 PM by Eraserhead »

The Wire. South Park was a pretty funny show years ago but even in its prime there wouldn't be any comparison.

It's also worth noting that The Wire is surprisingly hilarious at times.

BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2013, 01:04:14 AM »

I guess I could conceivably be wrong about this, but I highly doubt that that is the only time that Brian has been the lead-in to one of the cutaways.

He actually quite rarely does, and when he does it's almost never something as absurd and out of nowhere as that was, or in a deadpan way.

You are 30 years old.

Yes. That's why I watch intelligent, intellectual and critically acclaimed TV shows like The Wire, not poorly animated garbage that relies on stupid pop culture references and "OMG SO EDGY" shock value, while promoting right wing filth some of the time.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2013, 01:06:57 AM »

He actually quite rarely does, and when he does it's almost never something as absurd and out of nowhere as that was, or in a deadpan way.

In other words, it's an indication of sloppy writing/characterization. No need to overanalyze.
hawkeye59
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2013, 11:36:50 AM »

You are 30 years old.

Yes. That's why I watch intelligent, intellectual and critically acclaimed TV shows like The Wire, not poorly animated garbage that relies on stupid pop culture references and "OMG SO EDGY" shock value, while promoting right wing filth some of the time.
You mean Family Guy?
Also, libertarianism is not "right-wing."
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2013, 11:42:33 AM »

I pointed out to dead0man that even if South Park is right wing 51% of the time and left wing 49% of the tine that still makes it right wing on balance. And since Hollywood is full of liberal hacks why should I bother with any show that's ever right wing? I prefer my entertainment all liberal all the time.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2013, 01:29:12 PM »

You are 30 years old.

Despite still haven't watched it yet, I'm quite comfortable voting for The Wire in this one.

My emphasis.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2013, 01:29:45 PM »

Haven't seen The Wire, so South Park by default. Fantastic show.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2013, 02:25:41 PM »

They are both good shows but this is like comparing apples and oranges.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2013, 02:46:40 PM »

Why?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2013, 02:58:56 PM »

You are 30 years old.

My emphasis.

I have the complete series DVD set coming in the mail.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2013, 04:27:52 PM »

You are 30 years old and wrote an analysis of a single character on a cartoon show, you're in NO place to judge... none.

For the record I voted for South Park, largely because while The Wire is great, I think it's VASTLY overrated
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2013, 07:57:18 PM »

Miles Davis vs. Nickelback
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies