Uganda passes tough anti-gay laws. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:18:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Uganda passes tough anti-gay laws. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Uganda passes tough anti-gay laws.  (Read 5334 times)
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« on: February 26, 2014, 04:04:10 AM »

In Malawi at least, the idea that American evangelicals are the major force behind the anti-gay agenda is, I think, not an easily supportable hypothesis.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 12:55:40 AM »

In Malawi at least, the idea that American evangelicals are the major force behind the anti-gay agenda is, I think, not an easily supportable hypothesis.

How long have you lived in Malawi? 

Coming up on 4 years.

I can't speak for Malawi, but I know that anti-gay laws and attitudes in a lot of countries is a direct legacy of colonialism. Is that the case in Malawi?

In terms of the law, the Malawi Penal Code (ss. 153 and 156) bans “unnatural offenses” and “indecent practices between males”, rendering such activity punishable by up to 14 years in prison, including hard labour. These are legacy provisions from the era of British colonial rule.

In 2011, President Mutharika’s government secured passage of a Penal Code amendment (s.137A) further criminalising “indecent practices between females” – punishable by 5 years imprisonment. The amendment was put forward by the Government, officially on gender equality grounds.

The Courts here are currently hearing a challenge to the Constitutionality of the anti-gay legislation.

In terms of attitudes, the leading voices opposing decriminalisation come from religious groups. It should be noted that in Malawi, the religious bodies which have the widest support do not have evident links with western evangelicals. The largest religious groups are Catholics, Presbyterians, Muslims, and probably after that Seventh Day Adventists and Anglicans. These are not groups particularly malleable to the whims of visiting evangelicals. They're perfectly capable of finding anti-gay justification and rhetoric from their received religious texts on their own. Nor do they require outside funding to promote the cause. Religious attendance, identification and engagement are high - they have a willing audience for their message.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies