Christianity and gay marriage (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 09:34:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Christianity and gay marriage (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which of these best describes you?
I am Catholic and oppose legal gay marriage

I am Catholic and support legal gay marriage

I am Orthodox Christian and oppose legal gay marriage

I am Orthodox Christian and support legal gay marriage

I am protestant Christian and oppose legal gay marriage

I am protestant Christian and support legal gay marriage

I am of another Christian sect and oppose legal gay marriage

I am of another Christian sect and support legal gay marriage

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 63

Author Topic: Christianity and gay marriage  (Read 5214 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: December 21, 2013, 12:18:24 AM »

Not really sure how to vote in the poll, but I don't really believe it's possible for a "Christian" to oppose gay marriage.  Such hatred and bigotry makes a mockery of everything Jesus ever stood for.

That is only the case if one believes that heterosexuality and homosexuality are both perfectly normal sexual orientations.  If one believes that homosexuality is an aberrant behavior, then what could be more loving than to disapprove of such an aberrancy?  Jesus was more than willing to meet and talk with sinners of all varieties, but he never shied from telling them to cease their sin.  Granted, many Christians express that disapproval in an unloving and un-Christian fashion.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 02:32:23 AM »

I think afleitch means that some things are just morally neutral.  Gay marriage proponents aren't arguing that gay marriage should be legal because it's moral, but simply because it isn't immoral, at least in an objective sense.

Objective by what standard?  And how is that standard any less subjective than a traditional Old Testament based standard of morality?  Objective is one of those buzzwords one really needs to be careful about using.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 11:11:14 AM »

I think afleitch means that some things are just morally neutral.  Gay marriage proponents aren't arguing that gay marriage should be legal because it's moral, but simply because it isn't immoral, at least in an objective sense.

Objective by what standard?  And how is that standard any less subjective than a traditional Old Testament based standard of morality?  Objective is one of those buzzwords one really needs to be careful about using.

It’s entirely neutral. Given what we understand about human sexuality it has to be neutral. [...] Deep rooted same sex attraction is part of humanity. The same bonds between couples exist and have the same value.

Is your understanding correct?  A Christian fundamentalist would likely argue that homosexuality is an imperfection introduced into man via the original sin of Adam.  Pointing out that homosexuality exists in the animal kingdom would not shake the resolve of a true believer since in that world view, the taint of original sin caused by the fall of man affected the whole of creation.  As for bonds, don't tell a chemist that a covalent and ionic bonds have the same value. Wink

As a society, we're embarking upon a large scale experiment on the social impact of same-sex marriage and the fact that nothing major has gone wrong so far is a guarantee that it won't.  After all, if one skydives without a parachute, nothing bad will happen in the first few seconds. Not that I foresee any problems resulting from same-sex marriage, and it will be at the very least difficult to perceive any that might result given that we have yet to fully understand the impact of the ready acceptance of divorce and remarriage upon society, a change for which potential problems are far easier to perceive in advance.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies