Christianity and gay marriage (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 09:18:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Christianity and gay marriage (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which of these best describes you?
I am Catholic and oppose legal gay marriage

I am Catholic and support legal gay marriage

I am Orthodox Christian and oppose legal gay marriage

I am Orthodox Christian and support legal gay marriage

I am protestant Christian and oppose legal gay marriage

I am protestant Christian and support legal gay marriage

I am of another Christian sect and oppose legal gay marriage

I am of another Christian sect and support legal gay marriage

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 63

Author Topic: Christianity and gay marriage  (Read 5213 times)
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« on: December 20, 2013, 11:28:28 PM »

Somewhat oppose in government, strongly oppose in my denomination. (Protestant)
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 11:59:10 PM »

Not really sure how to vote in the poll, but I don't really believe it's possible for a "Christian" to oppose gay marriage.  Such hatred and bigotry makes a mockery of everything Jesus ever stood for.

I always chuckle when non-practising folks and liberal prots make sweeping declarations about who is and isn't Christian.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 10:34:00 AM »

Not really sure how to vote in the poll, but I don't really believe it's possible for a "Christian" to oppose gay marriage.  Such hatred and bigotry makes a mockery of everything Jesus ever stood for.

I always chuckle when non-practising folks and liberal prots make sweeping declarations about who is and isn't Christian.
I believe Harry is actually a Catholic.

I thought he had left that church and maybe had some ties to the Episcopalians, but he can correct me.

I don't know what a "prot" is, but I don't know why you would call me "non-practicing."  And considering how the largest denomination of "Christianity" in my state has never considered me to be a Christian, I feel completely justified and righteous in throwing it back at them.

Prot=Protestant. As I noted above, I thought you weren't a practicing Catholic. What are you exactly?

Anyways, if we're going to be talking about "making a mockery of everything Jesus stood for" perhaps you should avoid justifying your statements with "they did it to me first". Turn the other cheek and all that.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 06:36:55 PM »

snip

So, just like Christians don't keep kosher or follow the cultural and religious laws of ancient Israel, they don't necessarily need to view homosexuality as wrong. 

I agree with you there.

It's just funny because you usually don't associate sweeping condemnations of heresy with theological liberalism.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 11:29:38 PM »

Why do you need a theological argument?  "The church should treat all human beings with dignity, respect, and equality," should be sufficient.  Who cares how that line of thinking descends through the centuries?

My feelings exactly. Sometimes things don't need to be viewed through a theological lens; they are what they are. If you see two men or two women who are everything to each other you don't have to peel it back and analyse it's worth, morality or integrity. It doesn't need to be complicated.

Surely someone who's spent a good chunk of their life arguing against "The Bible says so" ought to appreciate that a "just so" argument doesn't hold any water. This sort of view reduces the pro gay marriage view to nothing but sentiment.

We ought to have a sound basis for our morality if we want to convince others. No matter how obvious something might be to one person, someone else might have a totally different inclination.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies