What is a moderate Republican?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:42:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  What is a moderate Republican?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: What is a moderate Republican?  (Read 8839 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2013, 01:33:05 PM »

I'd say Murkowski, Collins, Kirk, Sandoval, Huntsman would qualify as moderates. Most others run the gamut from conservative (ex: Christie, Martinez) to very conservative (ex: Boehner, McConnell) to far-right (Cruz, Lee) to clinically insane (ex: Bachmann, Gohmert)

This-ish. Everyone is anywhere left of center is a Democrat now. According to the CNN US exit poll in 2012 33% of Mitt Romney voters said that they wanted abortion to be legal all or most of the time. Only 18% of Obama '12 voters said the opposite.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2013, 09:03:05 PM »

Why most moderate Republicans be "conservative on fiscal issues but liberal on social ones"? 

What about those who are conservative on social issues yet liberal on fiscal ones? 
Traditionally, libertarians have always leaned towards Republicans and Communitarians have always leaned towards Democrats because America places more emphasis on economics.

So Mike Huckabee and Rick Santorum belong in the Democratic party?
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2013, 09:22:42 PM »

Why most moderate Republicans be "conservative on fiscal issues but liberal on social ones"? 

What about those who are conservative on social issues yet liberal on fiscal ones? 
Traditionally, libertarians have always leaned towards Republicans and Communitarians have always leaned towards Democrats because America places more emphasis on economics.

Those aren't real political ideologies.
Yeah okay.

How far back do "always" & "traditionally" stretch?
Thanks for pointing that out, I used those terms relatively loosely. I would say around the mid-20th century, when the two major parties began to cement themselves as liberal and conservative.

I wouldn't say they're economic moderates.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #53 on: December 24, 2013, 12:07:27 AM »

An oxymoron.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #54 on: December 24, 2013, 06:14:32 PM »

I don't think they could be considered "economic liberals".
Wolverines34
Rookie
United States
« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2014, 08:59:40 AM »

in my opinion moderate republicans are those who are moderate on social issues but conservative on economic ones (excluding environmental issues mostly).

examples of moderate republicans would include in my view

rudy giuliani
john mccain
olympia snow
susan collins
pat mccroy
jon hunstman jr
scott brown

some of the top of my head.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2014, 10:37:15 AM »

A moderate Republican is whatever the person in question thinks they are. So, to the left, a moderate Republican is basically a Democrat. To the Tea Party a moderate Republican is any member of the so-called 'establishment'. To a self-described 'moderate', a moderate Republican is a Republican in their own image, whatever that happens to be. Like most political terms, its meaning is entirely subjective to a person's own point of view.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2014, 11:07:27 AM »

Some mix of the following qualities:

-Moderate on some social issues: pro-Choice, pro-gay marriage, not a fundamentalist Christian
-Believes in the basic government economic programs of Medicare and Social security
-Not racist (Not a birther, not afraid of Muslims, supports immigration reform).
-Not a tool of industry lobbyists particularly oil/gas, insurance/medicine and banking.

In my opinion, there are arguably zero moderate Republican members of Congress or in statewide elected office.

What in the world? Where do you think they got their support back in the day like Rocky and the boys? Wall Street primarily.

excelsus
« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2014, 11:40:14 AM »

Joe Manchin.... Oops!

Huntsman, Susan Collins, Olympia Snowe, that's it!

Really? No Lisa Murkowski?
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2014, 09:44:34 PM »

courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States