Do YOU support South Jersey independence or secession to Pennsylvania?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:57:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Do YOU support South Jersey independence or secession to Pennsylvania?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Do you support South Jersey independence or secession to Pennsylvania?
Yes to either

No to both (I hate freedom)

Yes to independence, no to joining Pennsylvania

No to independence, yes to joining Pennsylvania

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 33

Author Topic: Do YOU support South Jersey independence or secession to Pennsylvania?  (Read 3052 times)
Cashcow

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 14, 2005, 05:41:37 PM »

See poll and vote. I don't want to start seriously ranting - if you want my position explained, just look through my recent posts in the Forum Community board. Tongue

This is fairly accurate, by the way...

http://www.blogthings.com/South-Jersey.html

Here are a few really good ones:

You think the Olive Garden is a bunch of crap and should not open restaurants in South Jersey.

You know what a Wawa is, and know the location of at least 15 of them.

You know that you should get the hell out of Camden before dark.

You think North Jersey is a different state and South Jersey deserves its own secession.

Everyone you know has had Confirmation but never goes to church.

Everything there is true. Maybe I'm the only one who finds it funny; Phil and the other Philadelphians might understand it too.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2005, 05:45:48 PM »

Yes to secession, no to joining PA.  The state would look really ugly that way.  What would your name be BTW. 
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2005, 05:49:53 PM »

Yes to secession, no to joining PA.  The state would look really ugly that way.  What would your name be BTW. 

Even Newer Jersey?
Cashcow

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2005, 05:50:47 PM »

Burlington, in honor of the Quakers who essentially founded and constructed this area.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2005, 05:53:33 PM »

Burlington, in honor of the Quakers who essentially founded and constructed this area.

Quakeria, New Sweden (Swedes were Jersey or Delaware), North Delware, Camden and Coast, South North Jersey
Cashcow

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2005, 05:54:21 PM »

Uh, I was thinking of not using a bad name.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2005, 07:14:40 PM »

Why do you only list joining PA as a poll option? Wouldn't there be an interest in joining DE as well. That would actually provide more electoral clout than joining PA, though less than a new state.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2005, 07:44:12 PM »

Hey..I've seen wawas open in Morris County NJ.

Good for Wawa. The only good convienence store...ever.

WAWA rules.

Join PA.

Even Better...SE Pa will split join Northern DE (New Castle) south jersey in the new State of Franklin.

Cashcow

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2005, 08:28:05 PM »

Why do you only list joining PA as a poll option? Wouldn't there be an interest in joining DE as well. That would actually provide more electoral clout than joining PA, though less than a new state.

Not a bad idea. However, the idea of being in the same state as Philadelphia is very appealing.

Bullmoose has a good suggestion as well. It's a real shame this will never happen.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2005, 10:30:14 PM »

Politically, I wouldn't mind NJ joining PA at all. However, it just wouldn't be the same so I would oppose that measure (though I did joke around with cashcow the other night about southern NJ joining PA Smiley )

Now in regards to independence, I understand that there are some big difference between northern and southern New Jerseyeans. It's like two different worlds. However, if I was a resident of the state, I would find it very embarrassing that a state would have to split up because of these differences. As a Pennsylvanian, I really wouldn't mind.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2005, 10:31:03 PM »

Split off South Jersey, annex the length of the Turnpike to it, and sink North Jersey into the Hudson.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2005, 10:32:17 PM »

SOUTH JERSEY INDEPENDENCE!!!
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2005, 10:33:11 PM »

If you ever need a quick sandwich to go, WaWa is the place to go. 7-11 is actually right down the street from my house (with the WaWa about a two minute walk away) but I'd never even think of buying a sandwich or hot dog there.
Cashcow

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2005, 10:36:00 PM »

Politically, I wouldn't mind NJ joining PA at all. However, it just wouldn't be the same so I would oppose that measure (though I did joke around with cashcow the other night about southern NJ joining PA Smiley )

Now in regards to independence, I understand that there are some big difference between northern and southern New Jerseyeans. It's like two different worlds. However, if I was a resident of the state, I would find it very embarrassing that a state would have to split up because of these differences. As a Pennsylvanian, I really wouldn't mind.

Eastern and Western Pennsylvanians are very different. However, it's still a united state. The North and South in New Jersey don't get along at all.

FREEDOM!
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2005, 10:44:42 PM »

Eastern and Western Pennsylvanians are very different. However, it's still a united state. The North and South in New Jersey don't get along at all.

FREEDOM!

I know east vs. west PA would be brought up. When I said that NJ was different, I meant it in a much stronger sense.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2005, 11:02:57 PM »

I'd support whichever benefits the Democrats the most.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2005, 11:04:22 PM »

Hey..I've seen wawas open in Morris County NJ.

Good for Wawa. The only good convienence store...ever.

WAWA rules.

Join PA.

Even Better...SE Pa will split join Northern DE (New Castle) south jersey in the new State of Franklin.

Add central NJ (it's definitely not North Jersey) and Cecil Co, MD. The result is an area with about 8.8 M people (2000 census), and it would have 14 representatives in the House.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2005, 11:07:36 PM »

I'd support whichever benefits the Democrats the most.

You probably wouldn't support a measure for independence/joining PA then.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2005, 11:20:13 PM »

Sure, if the voters want it, I can't see why not.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2005, 11:45:40 PM »

Some other population/representation comments:

For the seven counties on Cashcow's map (Atlantic, Cape May, Cumberland, Salem, Gloucester, Camden, and Burlington) the 2000 pop was 1.75 M, and would support 3 CDs.

According to my sources (a native of central NJ), the historical boundary between north and south was the old 201/609 area code split. This would add most of Mercer, and parts of Ocean and Monmouth to the south. These areas also meet many of the tests in the blog Cashcow linked. Also, though Ocean easily meets most tests to be in the south, it is hard to separate it by any clear line from Monmouth. Finally, Hunterdon and Warren are definitely not North Jersey in the sense that they lack the association with NYC. They are more akin to PA sitting along the Delaware.

It's questionable whether these 5 counties of central NJ would rather be with the south or north, particularly if PA was involved. They have a population of 1.70 M, about the same as the southern 7 counties listed in the first paragraph.
MHS2002

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 1.57

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2005, 01:00:23 AM »

OK, so for someone who is very unfamiliar with New Jersey, what are the main differences between North and South Jersey?
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2005, 04:26:57 AM »

South Jersey independence and call it New Sweden.  Good chance it would net 2 Sens for the Dems.
Cashcow

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2005, 03:38:14 PM »

Ocean County and Monmouth County have too much of a New York influence to be considered part of the South. Especially the latter.

There are many cultural differences involved, MHS2002, that I cannot explain in a sense that you would understand. New Jersey is a tiny state wedged between two of the biggest cities in the nation. On one end, you have suburban Philadelphians, and on the other end, suburban (rejected) New Yorkers. In the north you'll see an abundance of forests, hills, cites and factories; further south you'll find beaches, farms, swamps and small towns.

North and South Jersey are essentially different enough to be considered separate states already. Each end tends to dislike the other very much.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2005, 03:46:10 PM »

Good chance it would net 2 Sens for the Dems.

Are you talking about the same southern NJ everyone else is talking about?
Cashcow

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2005, 04:24:23 PM »

South Jersey would be a swing state. It could go either way locally or nationally.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies