Drinking Age
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:20:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Drinking Age
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Poll
Question: What should be the minimum age for alcohol consumption?
No minimum age

25 is still too young.

Alcoholic beverages should be prohibited altogether.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 99

Author Topic: Drinking Age  (Read 5163 times)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: May 12, 2014, 08:56:11 AM »

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #76 on: May 13, 2014, 12:43:33 AM »

There will always probably be some non-self-driving cars on the road, even as fully-self driving cars become widely available.

Could a good compromise be that you must be 21 years of age to purchase alcohol or posses it beyond a private residence or 18 to possess alcohol in a private residence?  The effects of such policies are trivial, but that means that house parties would then be legal except if they become illegal for some other reason. No more MIPs for loud house parties and no more potential for parents spending the weekend or week in jail for "Maintaining a Disorderly House" when their 19 year old gets home from college or a tour of duty and wants to chill with friends.  All of this being said, there is zero tolerance for being under 21 and having any alcohol in the blood beyond levels consistent with communion wine or cough medicine. Then again, police arrest people for that, regardless of their age, anyways nowadays.   
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #77 on: May 13, 2014, 09:54:01 AM »

Should be kept at 21. 

Further restrictions should be placed on the manner in which alcohol can be sold.  For example, in my hometown it is illegal to sell beer any cooler than the ambient temperature.  No alcohol sales on Sunday, of course, and large "dry zones" should exist around schools, churches, funeral homes, parks, etc. 
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #78 on: May 13, 2014, 10:05:42 AM »

Should be kept at 21. 

Further restrictions should be placed on the manner in which alcohol can be sold.  For example, in my hometown it is illegal to sell beer any cooler than the ambient temperature.  No alcohol sales on Sunday, of course, and large "dry zones" should exist around schools, churches, funeral homes, parks, etc. 

I can understand the first couple of things (even if I think they're absurd), but why exactöly should there be a "dry zone" around churches, parks or funeral homes?
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #79 on: May 13, 2014, 12:42:15 PM »

Should be kept at 21. 

I can understand the first couple of things (even if I think they're absurd), but why exactöly should there be a "dry zone" around churches, parks or funeral homes?

I should clarify what I mean by "dry zone".  This would mean that alcohol could be sold in these areas with the purpose of off-premise consumption.  So, no liquor stores or gas stations selling beer or whatnot.  However, it wouldn't affect restaurants or bars.

I like mainly for planning reasons.  Liquor stores tend to be magnets for petty criminals and solicitors, so I would prefer them to be kept away from schools, parks, or other places children frequent.  Churches and funeral homes should also get some added protection due their status of pillars of the community and traditional religious objections to alcohol consumption.   
PiMp DaDdy FitzGerald
Mr. Pollo

« Reply #80 on: May 13, 2014, 04:53:34 PM »

Should at least be kept at 21.

The current trend of over-libertinism is very concerning. While we shouldn't go into the crypto-fascism of guys like Pat Robertson, we should at least be onboard with restricting things that have so many downsides as alchohol.

Look at some:

1. It causes accidents
2. It encourages unsafe sex
3. It encourages rape
4. It encourages criminality
5. It is a gateway drug
6. It encourages loitering
7. It encourages racist criminal policy
8. Moonshiners support republicans
9. Side effects like vomiting are bad for the body
10. it gives ammunition to conservatives
11. It would distract high school students
12. and many more

Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #81 on: May 13, 2014, 09:50:37 PM »

High school diploma.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #82 on: May 14, 2014, 12:29:22 AM »

I stand by what I said before. There should be no minimum drinking/consumption age and the purchase age should be no higher than 18. At the very least, the National Minimum Drinking Age Act should be repealed, allowing each state to set its drinking laws.

It is worth mentioning that most states allow consumption of alcohol under the purchase age of 21. According to this, 41 states allow drinking under 21. The most common exception seems to be parental consent.
I've mentioned it too (and every time this thread comes up) and nobody cares.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #83 on: May 15, 2014, 12:50:04 AM »

We're only going to have about 25 years more - max - of drunk driving deaths anyway...

Well the cars will all be flying then, no? Roll Eyes
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #84 on: May 15, 2014, 12:52:25 AM »

I've never met a person who chooses not to drink because it's illegal.

I can think of multiple people from college who abstained (or all-but-abstained) before they turned 21, and decided to just start drinking like a normal person on their 21st birthday, and are happy, responsible boozers to this day.

Okay, I can't think of that many people.  But I live with one of them.

Well, good for them, I suppose.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #85 on: May 16, 2014, 05:25:52 PM »

Alcohol should be demystified as much as possible, so the drinking age should be staggered - beers, wines and ciders should be legal to 16; and spirits at 18. That said, DUI violations should be made extremely severe, possibly involving lifelong driving bans for 2+ offences. I know it's harsh, but so is causing a pile-up because you're pissed.

Hopefully, within 20 years synthetic (relatively) harm-free alcohol should be available for consumer use, and our health systems will be significantly less burdened.

7. It encourages racist criminal policy

Huh
Fed. Pac. Chairman Devin
Devin
United States

« Reply #86 on: May 16, 2014, 11:41:44 PM »

There should be no minimum drinking age. The age to purchase should be 18.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #87 on: May 17, 2014, 11:10:46 PM »

Hopefully, within 20 years synthetic (relatively) harm-free alcohol should be available for consumer use, and our health systems will be significantly less burdened.

You do know that Star Trek: The Next Regurgitation was fiction and not a documentary and that there is no such thing as synthahol, don't you.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #88 on: May 19, 2014, 08:11:45 PM »

No consumption age, 18 for purchase.
PiMp DaDdy FitzGerald
Mr. Pollo

« Reply #89 on: May 19, 2014, 08:39:24 PM »

Alchohol both gives an excuse for less scrupulus police officers to go after minorities and police officers are more likely to act in a racist manner when drunk.
Icehand Gino
Rookie
France

« Reply #90 on: May 20, 2014, 06:58:04 AM »

This.

If you're deemed mature enough to vote, don't see how you would be not mature to purchase alcohol.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #91 on: May 20, 2014, 08:45:37 AM »

For those who say no age limit on consumption, there is a related question. Should there be a crime of contributing to the intoxication of a minor?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies