Washington Post on Georgia Turning Purple (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:35:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Washington Post on Georgia Turning Purple (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Washington Post on Georgia Turning Purple  (Read 6814 times)
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« on: January 09, 2014, 04:26:14 PM »
« edited: January 09, 2014, 04:33:19 PM by eric82oslo »

It will happen one day, but Arizona will switch much sooner. Arizona (except for their current governor & police force) has always been politically moderate for as long as I can remember. Just think of John McCain and other recent senators they've had + being one of the least religious states in the US. They even have a majority Democrats in the House of Representatives currently. Georgia, on the other hand, has always been politically very conservative. Hadn't it been for the citizens out of state magnet that is Atlanta + their huge black population, Georgia wouldn't even have been remotely close in presidential elections. Even today, most of Atlanta's sizable suburbs continue to vote Republican. Certainly a bad sign for Democratic prospects. And Georgia, even with its influx of new citizens, continue to be one of the most religious states in the country, although slightly less so than their neighbours Alabama and South Carolina.

I believe Arizona might switch already in 2016. Georgia on the other hand, will probably have to wait till 2020 or 2024. However Hillary does have the X factor for being seen as a representative of the south or who at least understands the concerns of southerners. Thus, even Georgia could potentially switch in 2016. However, I believe Hillary will be much more tempted to apply a Latino Strategy rather than a New Southern Strategy. She might attempt to do both of course, and probably will to some extent, however I believe her Latino outreach will be much more substantial & sincere than her constant touring and campaigning in the southern states. Early on she might concentrate on the south, however, the closer we'll get to the election, the latino outreach and focus on the main swing states will consume almost all of her attention, money and staff, I believe.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies