MA: The Separation of Powers Amendment (Failed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:27:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  MA: The Separation of Powers Amendment (Failed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MA: The Separation of Powers Amendment (Failed)  (Read 485 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 22, 2013, 03:44:43 AM »
« edited: December 28, 2013, 03:05:53 PM by Assemblyman & Queen Mum Inks.LWC »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Sponsor: Mr. X
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 04:03:56 AM »

I don't see a need for this. Actually, this amendment unnecessarily complicates the way bills are introduced and debates are conducted in the Assembly. Currently the Governor and Lt. Governor can introduce bills on their own. Should this amendment be passed, future Governors and Lt. Governors could still do the same but would first have to contact a member of the Assembly to introduce a bill on his/her behalf. So the consequences this amendment will have when it comes to the concept of separation of powers are symbolic at best and overly bureaucratic at worst.

If there is a real desire for a clear separation of powers between the executive branch on the one hand and the legislative branch on the other hand this amendment will have to do a lot more.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 03:56:05 PM »

I don't see a need for this. Actually, this amendment unnecessarily complicates the way bills are introduced and debates are conducted in the Assembly. Currently the Governor and Lt. Governor can introduce bills on their own. Should this amendment be passed, future Governors and Lt. Governors could still do the same but would first have to contact a member of the Assembly to introduce a bill on his/her behalf. So the consequences this amendment will have when it comes to the concept of separation of powers are symbolic at best and overly bureaucratic at worst.

If there is a real desire for a clear separation of powers between the executive branch on the one hand and the legislative branch on the other hand this amendment will have to do a lot more.

I would argue that this amendment is a critical and long-overdue step towards establishing a true separation between the executive and legislative branches in the Mideast.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 04:00:47 PM »

I would argue that this amendment is a critical and long-overdue step towards establishing a true separation between the executive and legislative branches in the Mideast.

But it doesn't have any practical implications on the Assembly except for making things more complicated.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 04:06:35 PM »

But it doesn't have any practical implications on the Assembly except for making things more complicated.

Not necessarily, if none of the members of the Assembly support the Governor or Lieutenant Governor's bill, it couldn't be introduced under this amendment.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 04:14:29 PM »

Not necessarily, if none of the members of the Assembly support the Governor or Lieutenant Governor's bill, it couldn't be introduced under this amendment.

Governors/Lt. Governors are usually elected with the backing of one of the major parties, and these major parties always have representatives in the Mideast Assembly. The chance of one or several Assemblymembers denying to introduce a bill on behalf of the Governor/Lt. Governor of their own party seems pretty low to me, to be honest. And in my own experience there's always an Assemblymember who isn't that active and who is therefore more than glad when he/she gets the chance to introduce a bill written by someone else. Wink
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2013, 04:16:06 PM »

Governors/Lt. Governors are usually elected with the backing of one of the major parties, and these major parties always have representatives in the Mideast Assembly. The chance of one or several Assemblymembers denying to introduce a bill on behalf of the Governor/Lt. Governor of their own party seems pretty low to me, to be honest. And in my own experience there's always an Assemblymember who isn't that active and who is therefore more than glad when he/she gets the chance to introduce a bill written by someone else. Wink

I find that often the inactive Assemblymen are inactive by deliberate choice.  And even at a symbolic level, I think it is important for our region to have a clear separation between the executive and legislative branches (something we currently lack).
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2013, 04:28:01 PM »

I just don't think we need to make that symbolic distinction between the two branches when there are hardly any tangible effects on the Assembly, but I will leave that to the members of this body to decide.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2013, 10:41:59 PM »

And in that case, no one would vote for it--the same end result as if no one had introduced it.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2013, 03:00:34 PM »

We will now take this to a final vote.  Members will vote AYE, NAY, or ABSTAIN.  This will be a 48-hour vote.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2013, 03:02:46 PM »

NAY
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2013, 06:08:10 PM »

Aye
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2013, 08:02:54 AM »

Nay
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2013, 11:52:21 AM »

aye
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2013, 03:03:48 PM »

Voting is now closed. The AYEs are 2, and the NAYs are 3. The NAYs have it, and the bill has failed.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies