Bush Set to Fight An Electoral College Loss (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:23:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2000 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Bush Set to Fight An Electoral College Loss (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bush Set to Fight An Electoral College Loss  (Read 10903 times)
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: March 20, 2005, 11:33:05 PM »

In 2000 45 percent of all Black Voters in Florida were turned away from the polls for being black. This is a fact I just made up.

It's not a fact.

I would be jFRAUD Bizarro Universe. 

Actually, the Press did recount the ballots, and by all but the most restrictive standard, Bush won; if you completely disregarded the intent of the voter standard, no questionable vote counted, Gore won by 3 votes.  If the chad was mostly out, partly out, sorta out, Bush won.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2005, 11:48:22 PM »

Here is what was actually concluded:

http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2001/florida.ballots/stories/main.html

Florida Court Standards:

Using the NORC data, the media consortium examined what might have happened if the U.S. Supreme Court had not intervened. The Florida high court had ordered a recount of all undervotes that had not been counted by hand to that point. If that recount had proceeded under the standard that most local election officials said they would have used, the study found that Bush would have emerged with 493 more votes than Gore.

Gore's own standard:

Suppose that Gore got what he originally wanted -- a hand recount in heavily Democratic Broward, Palm Beach, Miami-Dade and Volusia counties. The study indicates that Gore would have picked up some additional support but still would have lost the election -- by a 225-vote margin statewide.

Now this was a very close election, the only way that Gore "wins" is that if you count people who voted for two or more candidates, or you count people whose intent was not clearly manifested.

Now, I would have favored a statewide recount, but Gore didn't, at least at first.  I really would not favor giving one person two votes for President in the same election.

J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2005, 06:19:04 PM »

In 2000 45 percent of all Black Voters in Florida were turned away from the polls for being black. This is a fact I just made up.

It's not a fact.

I would be jFRAUD Bizarro Universe. 

Actually, the Press did recount the ballots, and by all but the most restrictive standard, Bush won; if you completely disregarded the intent of the voter standard, no questionable vote counted, Gore won by 3 votes.  If the chad was mostly out, partly out, sorta out, Bush won.

I've stated real facts very clearly, and they haven't been refuted. I know you Republicans would rather argue do straw man arguments.

Speaking of facts and arguments, some of you Republicans have serious problems with those. Hint to J.J., don't get into an argument on statistics.

Hint to JFRAUD, don't make up stuff, at least that can be independently verified.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies