Senator Menendez (D-Israel)' Sanctions bill could threaten Iran Negotiations.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:50:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Senator Menendez (D-Israel)' Sanctions bill could threaten Iran Negotiations.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Senator Menendez (D-Israel)' Sanctions bill could threaten Iran Negotiations.  (Read 1167 times)
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 22, 2013, 06:19:08 PM »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/19/iran-sanctions-bill_n_4472439.html

Disgusting. Along with him are Senators Mark Kirk (R-Israel) and Charles Schumer (D-AIPAC).
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 06:22:04 PM »

Good for them.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 06:25:53 PM »

This whole thing about attaching "Israel" and such behind party names is... I don't even know how to say it.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 06:27:55 PM »

I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me how the United States, which dropped two atomic bombs on the Japanese in 1945, has the moral authority to tell any nation on this planet that it cannot produce nuclear weapons.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 06:28:08 PM »

This whole thing about attaching "Israel" and such behind party names is... I don't even know how to say it.

This is basically AIPAC's bill, so that's why. It's a shameful gimmick and Snowstalkerish, I'm aware.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 06:31:34 PM »

I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me how the United States, which dropped two atomic bombs on the Japanese in 1945, has the moral authority to tell any nation on this planet that it cannot produce nuclear weapons.

I thought you supported that? Aren't you a big Harry Truman fan?
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2013, 07:11:48 PM »

I thought you supported that? Aren't you a big Harry Truman fan?

The times they are a-changin'. Tongue
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2013, 07:59:51 PM »

Iran has treated this "agreement" like a joke from the start. It's pretty clear that this is just a way for Obama to ease up the pressure in stages because he doesn't have a real plan to stop Iran from getting nukes and isn't about to get the US into a conflict with them.

This is his own party standing up and saying that no, this isn't acceptable.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2013, 08:07:53 PM »

Iran has treated this "agreement" like a joke from the start. It's pretty clear that this is just a way for Obama to ease up the pressure in stages because he doesn't have a real plan to stop Iran from getting nukes and isn't about to get the US into a conflict with them.

Because, god forbid, not getting into a conflict with Iran would be a travesty.
Representative Joe Mad
Joe Mad
Rookie

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2013, 08:20:22 PM »

You'd figure with how much aid we give to Israel they'd be a tad bit more appreciative.  While I'll admit to being rather ignorant on our relations with them as a whole, I'm continually amazed by how much pull Israel seems to have with us.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2013, 09:29:42 PM »

So even those who voted no on the Iraq war often have bad foreign policy.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2013, 09:35:43 PM »

I don't want a conflict with Iran, but it's preferable to a total surrender, which is the likely outcome of this deal. Iran gives nothing, and the US gets cover to disengage.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2013, 10:25:24 PM »

I don't want a conflict with Iran, but it's preferable to a total surrender, which is the likely outcome of this deal. Iran gives nothing, and the US gets cover to disengage.

How can we surrender to a country we aren't at war with? Iran having the bomb is far less of a threat to the average American than is a United States Congress or President who decides mass slaughter of American boys and girls is in the interest of the United States.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2013, 10:26:52 PM »

"Menendez (Likud-New Jersey)," etc. would be more accurate.  There's no reason why someone truly looking out for the interests of Israel should want negotiations to fail.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2013, 10:29:05 PM »

"Menendez (Likud-New Jersey)," etc. would be more accurate.  There's no reason why someone truly looking out for the interests of Israel should want negotiations to fail.

That does make more sense. Suppose I'm just applying AIPAC to Israel rather than AIPAC to Neocon Parties in Israel, which is more the case.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2013, 10:41:44 PM »

Someone should tell Congress to mind their own business and stick to ruining America.

That's a profoundly stupid, irrelevant point and I hope you know that.  Whatever your opinions about US foreign policy in the past, the US is currently the dominant world power and must have a role in nuclear non-proliferation.  I think we would all rather have a world without nuclear weapons and peace than some sort of international rule that says whatever the United States does, anyone can do it too.  Should Iran be able to enslave people without international condemnation because we did it too?   
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2013, 10:44:01 PM »

This made me wish Menendez's corruption allegations actually produce something in time for 2018.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2013, 10:54:06 AM »

Along with him are Senators Mark Kirk (R-Israel) and Charles Schumer (D-AIPAC).

Freedom Trifecta
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2013, 06:13:31 PM »

The Jewish lobby is probably the most powerful interest group in Congress just because it has so much sway over both parties, even more than the NRA.  I have a feeling this bill could pass even if Obama threatens to veto it.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2013, 06:22:08 PM »

The Jewish lobby is probably the most powerful interest group in Congress just because it has so much sway over both parties, even more than the NRA.  I have a feeling this bill could pass even if Obama threatens to veto it.

ANTI-SEMITE!

Wink

It's the Israeli Lobby
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2013, 06:29:15 PM »

ANTI-SEMITE!

Wink

It's the Israeli Lobby

Oh, excuse my political incorrectness. Wink Tongue
Oak Hills
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2013, 06:46:05 PM »

That's a profoundly stupid, irrelevant point and I hope you know that.  Whatever your opinions about US foreign policy in the past, the US is currently the dominant world power and must have a role in nuclear non-proliferation.  I think we would all rather have a world without nuclear weapons and peace than some sort of international rule that says whatever the United States does, anyone can do it too.  Should Iran be able to enslave people without international condemnation because we did it too? 

No, because we're not still doing it. We still possess nuclear weapons.

politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2013, 09:54:22 AM »

Menendez and Schumer are useless. NY and NJ could do a lot better than electing those who take their orders from Netanyahu. I don't think either of those states had the intent of electing pro-war Democrats.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2013, 11:30:53 AM »

Menendez and Schumer are useless. NY and NJ could do a lot better than electing those who take their orders from Netanyahu. I don't think either of those states had the intent of electing pro-war Democrats.

Then why do they keep electing them?
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2013, 12:55:32 PM »

So I have a question, since you seem to be convinced that Iran will get nuclear weapons. Why haven't they gotten them already? There's been fear of Iranian nuclear weapons since the early 90s, and bombs don't take that long to make, even with sabotage from various groups. So if they're really making nuclear weapons and not simply using nuclear energy, why haven't they gotten the bomb yet?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies