What if Reagan was elected in 1976?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 12:41:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History
  Alternative History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  What if Reagan was elected in 1976?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What if Reagan was elected in 1976?  (Read 2734 times)
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 22, 2013, 08:22:03 PM »

Many people assume that Jimmy Carter was a terrible president or a weak one, but seriously he was an outstanding person that was elected in the wrong year. Now, taking a look at Reagan's agenda and his way of dealing with Foreign Policy and Domestic Affairs, things would be terrible for the country.

On the matters of Domestic Policy, we would very likely see at first an increase on inflation as a result of tax cuts made to reduce unemployment and then desperate moves to increase interest rates by Paul Volker to reduce Money Supply while Reagan miserably fail to create more fiscal discipline as he increases a lot military spending.

On the matters of Foregin Policy, I would say that it would be an even greater disaster. The first thing that I can see is Camp David not happening and the Panama Canal Treaty being demised by President Reagan. Another disastrous happening would be Reagan's insistence on interventionism that could lead to tougher problems in Iran. I could see the Reagan Administration providing strategical support for the Persian Sha and a massive civil war starting at the country, then I don't know very well how the Hostage Crisis would happen. Maybe it would not happen at all as the hostages of the American embassy leave earlier the country or maybe many of them could be even killed. Not to mention that Reagan would have a terrible record on human rights and would still support dictatorships on Latin America and other continents.

What are your thoughts?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 09:04:54 PM »

Among Jimmy Carter's foul-ups is his inability to maintain the unity and loyalty of congressional Democrats. Reagan would face a somewhat similar problem in that he lacked majorities altogether. That said, after a first year of difficulty he would likely be forced to compromise more on domestic policy. That said, circumstance would still doom him.
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 09:18:16 PM »

Among Jimmy Carter's foul-ups is his inability to maintain the unity and loyalty of congressional Democrats. Reagan would face a somewhat similar problem in that he lacked majorities altogether. That said, after a first year of difficulty he would likely be forced to compromise more on domestic policy. That said, circumstance would still doom him.

I could question Carter's inability to deal with Congress but I agree that Reagan would have a difficul time but what about Foreign Policy?
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 04:50:43 PM »

I could question Carter's inability to deal with Congress but I agree that Reagan would have a difficul time but what about Foreign Policy?
Ronald Reagan probably would have handled foreign policy somewhat better than Jimmy Carter, especially regarding the Iran Hostage Crisis, the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan and the Sandinista takeover of Nicaragua. On domestic policy, I am not entirely sure how Reagan would have done if elected in 1976. He might have appointed Paul Volker as Federal Reserve Chairman in 1977 or 1978 and attempted to pass a tax cut proposal, but that would all depend on how the 1978 midterm elections played out.
RosettaStoned
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.45, S: -5.91

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 08:43:52 PM »

Reagan would have sent the Marines in to get the hostages back.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 08:45:39 PM »

Carter's bungling of his congressional situation is, in my opinion, nigh unquestionable. I suggest a look at the link below.

http://www.questia.com/library/journal/1G1-160103825/the-program-for-better-jobs-and-income-welfare
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 09:39:41 PM »

I can't see how Reagan would deal better with Foreign Policy. He blasted Carter for not supporting well enough Dictatorships in Latin America, he would certainly not move a single thinger to see the Camp David accords haplening and he could very well not signed the Panama Canal Treaty creating further problems on Latin America. There would be no promotion of Human Rights either.

I can't see how Reagan would handle better the Hostage Crisis. Maybe he would bomb Tehran and kill thousands of Iranians to try to save his reelection in 1980 and I have no doubts he would be far more supportive of the Shah, possibly creating a Civil War on that country....

Carter was not the best President ever but I don't think that Reagan would be better than him under all this circumstances....
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, 09:40:41 PM »

Reagan would have sent the Marines in to get the hostages back.

I believe that he would Bomb Iran and start a Civil War Tongue
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2013, 10:26:27 PM »

Camp David would likely have still happened, just not at Camp David.  Both Sadat and the Israelis were desirous of peace at the time.

Reagan might well have given the Shah sufficient support to keep things from reaching a revolutionary pitch, tho that would have been more a case of leaving the slow fuse to set off the spark at some later time.

Also while Reagan might not have made a good choice for Chairman of the Federal Reserve, there is no way he would have made the disastrous choice of William Miller. (To be fair, Carter could have had no way of knowing how bad a choice Miller would prove to be.)
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2013, 06:29:42 PM »

Camp David would likely have still happened, just not at Camp David.  Both Sadat and the Israelis were desirous of peace at the time.

Reagan might well have given the Shah sufficient support to keep things from reaching a revolutionary pitch, tho that would have been more a case of leaving the slow fuse to set off the spark at some later time.

Also while Reagan might not have made a good choice for Chairman of the Federal Reserve, there is no way he would have made the disastrous choice of William Miller. (To be fair, Carter could have had no way of knowing how bad a choice Miller would prove to be.)

Camp David: Reagan would never support Camp David and it's very unlikely that the accords would happen there. There were some other pro-middle-east-peace Presidents other than Carter in 1978, ironically, I believe that President Giscard of France could have helped Saddat and Begin to find an agreement. The french would delay their Nuclear Programs on the Middle East but I believe that the French Diplomacy would support the first step for peace on that region.

On Iran: A lot of butterflies can happen in my opinion. The hostage crisis may not have happened because things would get so messier that it's very likely that a Civil War shall happen making the ambassadors leave the country earlier than the Islamists take the power and maybe even a military intervention from the United States would occur and it would be largely disapproved by the International Community.

Iraq: With no support from a France due to the "The french camp david" nuclear energy would be delayed and interrupted by the Iranian War. The Iran-Iraq war is also a important thing to think and it could have happened.... I believe that it would take longer time because the islamists in Iran would take more time to get in the government and Khomeini would not enjoying entering in a war after a bloody Civil War.

Regarding the Federal Reserve: I don't know who Reagan would choose.... My shortlist: Herbert Stein, an antecipated Alan Greenspan or even Paul Volker....

Now, talking about the Secretary of State, nice names I have in mind, they would do a mess but they would be nice anyway... Scoop Jackson, John Connally and even George Bush...
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2013, 09:49:11 PM »

Cutting taxes is not exactly a way the stop inflation. Neither is increasing spending. Tbh, thank god Reagan never won in 1976.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2014, 06:03:03 PM »

Camp David: Reagan would never support Camp David and it's very unlikely that the accords would happen there. There were some other pro-middle-east-peace Presidents other than Carter in 1978, ironically, I believe that President Giscard of France could have helped Saddat and Begin to find an agreement. The french would delay their Nuclear Programs on the Middle East but I believe that the French Diplomacy would support the first step for peace on that region.

On Iran: A lot of butterflies can happen in my opinion. The hostage crisis may not have happened because things would get so messier that it's very likely that a Civil War shall happen making the ambassadors leave the country earlier than the Islamists take the power and maybe even a military intervention from the United States would occur and it would be largely disapproved by the International Community.

Iraq: With no support from a France due to the "The french camp david" nuclear energy would be delayed and interrupted by the Iranian War. The Iran-Iraq war is also a important thing to think and it could have happened.... I believe that it would take longer time because the islamists in Iran would take more time to get in the government and Khomeini would not enjoying entering in a war after a bloody Civil War.

Regarding the Federal Reserve: I don't know who Reagan would choose.... My shortlist: Herbert Stein, an antecipated Alan Greenspan or even Paul Volker....

Now, talking about the Secretary of State, nice names I have in mind, they would do a mess but they would be nice anyway... Scoop Jackson, John Connally and even George Bush...
Scoop Jackson would definately be an interesting choice for Secretary of Defense or Secretary of State in a late-1970s Reagan andministration.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies