Will the GOP elect their next Maine senator?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:46:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Will the GOP elect their next Maine senator?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Will the GOP elect their next Maine senator?  (Read 802 times)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 22, 2013, 10:27:36 PM »

Collins doesn't strike me as a lifer, so when she retires the Dems will probably pick up the seat. Is it conceivable that the Maine GOP finds another politically adept moderate with enough crossover appeal to win a Senate seat? Sort of like how Collins won in the first place. Tongue Or is Collins a unique product of her time and the time when Maine would give a non-incumbent Pub a Senate shot has passed?
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 10:39:49 PM »

Kevin Raye has a decent chance at it if he wins the race in ME-2. He's probably their best chance if he doesn't turn into another Charlie Summers.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 10:46:09 PM »

I think, just like the blue dogs are dying, so are the Yankee republicans. Maine does have a long tradition of always electing republicans, and it keep it going just like Kentucky and West Virginia still elect their democrats. But ultimately, I think Maine will finally end up in the hands of the democrats at the state level, not just the federal level. I don't know though, we'll see.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 11:30:19 PM »

Kevin Raye has a decent chance at it if he wins the race in ME-2. He's probably their best chance if he doesn't turn into another Charlie Summers.

This. When I was reading the OP, I thought of Raye.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 03:48:57 AM »

Collins doesn't strike me as a lifer, so when she retires the Dems will probably pick up the seat. Is it conceivable that the Maine GOP finds another politically adept moderate with enough crossover appeal to win a Senate seat? Sort of like how Collins won in the first place. Tongue Or is Collins a unique product of her time and the time when Maine would give a non-incumbent Pub a Senate shot has passed?
I'm not sure. She has never missed a vote, so it wouldn't surprise me if she tried to beat Grassley's record!
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2013, 06:06:10 PM »

I see Collins as a lifer.

She's young relative to her level of seniority, and I could conceivably see her getting re-elected until she decided to retire.

Her and Gillibrand represent the current Senate's most likely candidates for first female PPT.   
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies