NixonNow v. Blerpiez, Round 3
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 06:46:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  NixonNow v. Blerpiez, Round 3
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What is your opinion of Sec. King's decision?
Completely agree with it

Mostly agree with it

Slightly agree with it

Neutral

Slightly disagree

Mostly disagree

Completely disagree

File Articles of Impeachment

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 29

Author Topic: NixonNow v. Blerpiez, Round 3  (Read 1589 times)
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 14, 2005, 08:25:17 PM »

The Department of Forum Affairs Declares the D2 Election...

...invalid.

• The vote began at on 12:05:49 on Friday and was certified at 12:02:22 on Monday.  The vote was certified 3:27 before the required 72 hour mark.

It is this reason, along with the looming court battles that could result in a win for either side, that invalidating this election will be the cleanest way to go.

Unless anybody challenges my ruling, the new election will be held this FRIDAY.
[/tt]

There is the Secretary's rather bizarre decision. What is your reaction to it?
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2005, 08:27:39 PM »

Since King decided when the booth opened, and decided when the booth closed, it seems that the candidates should not be forced to bear the burden of the Secretary's decision to close the booth early/open it late.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2005, 08:35:17 PM »

I got the idea from you, Peter.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2005, 08:41:21 PM »

My say-so isn't reason to invalidate an election. I was also informing you in that conversation that you violated your own precedent after having counted mine and Defarge's counted votes in the final tally of the Presidential election, despite the fact that you would have had no actual physical evidence of what those votes originally were, just what was generally accepted. In this election you didn't count nickshepDEMs vote despite the fact that many will testify to what it is.

Please be consistent in future.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2005, 08:48:09 PM »

The decision is bizarre and pretty bad, imo.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2005, 08:56:22 PM »

This would invalidate like a third of our elections. Terrible, terrible precedent.
MHS2002

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 1.57

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2005, 08:57:25 PM »

It's "interesting," to say the least. I don't agree.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2005, 09:08:58 PM »
« Edited: March 14, 2005, 09:16:20 PM by Secretary King »

Well, what should I do then?  If I go with what some "witnesses" say and declare NickShepDem's vote for NixonNow, blerpiez could declare fraud.  If I go with a tie and blerpiez wins, NixonNow could declare fraud.

I didn't really want a revote because I leave to go visit family in Albuquerque this Friday so I wouldn't be able to administer, but I didn't want a fraudulent election based on "these people said this, so it must be true".  Which is an even worse precedent.

I am still open to suggestions and will reverse my decision if somebody has a better idea.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2005, 09:16:46 PM »

Well, what should I do then?  If I go with what some "witnesses" say and declare NickShepDem's vote for NixonNow, blerpiez could declare fraud.  If I go with a tie and blerpiez wins, NixonNow could declare fraud.

At the end of the day thats your call. I don't think NixonNow will sue if you declare a draw and then move to the tie break procedures, but thats just my gut feeling.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2005, 09:21:09 PM »

At the end of the day thats your call. I don't think NixonNow will sue if you declare a draw and then move to the tie break procedures, but thats just my gut feeling.

NixonNow has been trying to push me against the draw nearly all day and declare him the winner.

If I had my way, I would choose Clause 7 and just give a 2-month term to each.  Obviously this district is too divided to elect a full-time Senator right now...
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2005, 09:22:04 PM »

NixonNow has been trying to push me against the draw nearly all day, which is why I choose invalidation as he probably wouldn't agree to it.

If I had my way, I would choose Clause 7 and just give a 2-month term to each.  Obviously this district is too divided to elect a full-time Senator right now...

A 2 month term for each might not be that bad.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2005, 09:27:06 PM »

NixonNow has been trying to push me against the draw nearly all day, which is why I choose invalidation as he probably wouldn't agree to it.

A 2 month term for each might not be that bad.

The term is only about 1 1/2 months long now as it is.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2005, 09:28:16 PM »

This is in my Libertarian nature to ask, and I'm not taking sides, but where is the authority to invalidate an election given to the Secretary of Forum Affairs?
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2005, 09:31:57 PM »

This is in my Libertarian nature to ask, and I'm not taking sides, but where is the authority to invalidate an election given to the Secretary of Forum Affairs?

I really wouldn't comment in this thread any more due to the possibility of a Court case.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2005, 09:32:29 PM »

Precedent.  That is pretty much all this department is made of...
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2005, 10:22:26 PM »

Actually, there is legislation pertinent to what has happened, and it goes against King's unilateral invalidation of the results.  Here's an excerpt from the Statute of Election Procedures, Certification and Challenges:

The correct procedure is to bring it to the Supreme Court, who will then decide whether or not to invalidate the results.  If the results are not invalidated, then the correct procedure, again, is to bring the disputed vote(s) to the Supreme Court.  That's what the Supreme Court is there for.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2005, 03:56:26 PM »

This is pretty ridiculous. If this was allowed to happen, then any SOFA who doesn't like the way an election is going could close the polls early, and then declare the election invalid.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2005, 04:06:32 PM »

Just out of curiosity....

Why is everyone so upset with King for interpreting an unclear code in a certain manner, but not upset with idiotic voters who apparently cannot tell the difference between normal forum members and an obvious troll.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2005, 04:26:33 PM »

Actually, there is legislation pertinent to what has happened, and it goes against King's unilateral invalidation of the results.  Here's an excerpt from the Statute of Election Procedures, Certification and Challenges:

The correct procedure is to bring it to the Supreme Court, who will then decide whether or not to invalidate the results.  If the results are not invalidated, then the correct procedure, again, is to bring the disputed vote(s) to the Supreme Court.  That's what the Supreme Court is there for.

Thank you, Gabu.  I shall reverse my decision now that I am aware of an actual alternative.  Smiley
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2005, 04:30:38 PM »

So, uh, what's going on...? Smiley
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2005, 04:35:56 PM »

Just out of curiosity....

Why is everyone so upset with King for interpreting an unclear code in a certain manner, but not upset with idiotic voters who apparently cannot tell the difference between normal forum members and an obvious troll.

Why don't you drop the grudge and chill out?
Blerpiez
blerpiez

Political Matrix
E: -0.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2005, 05:40:30 PM »

I think it's a bad descision to overturn elections based on such a small amount(3 minutes)
Siege40

Political Matrix
E: -6.25, S: -4.26

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2005, 05:44:53 PM »

Disappear for a few hours and the sh**t hits the fan, well done. God save the forum.

Siege
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies