On which issues do you disagree with your own party?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:35:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  On which issues do you disagree with your own party?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: On which issues do you disagree with your own party?  (Read 5815 times)
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 24, 2013, 04:59:18 PM »

For me:

1) I support the death penalty
2) I don't think gun control does any good, even though I understand the intentions
3) I dislike how Christian extremists are (rightly) criticized, but Islamic extremists are given a pass by many liberals when they're objectively worse in countries where they control the government
4) The NSA/surveillance state stuff that hacks on all sides flip flop on based solely off the party affiliation of the sitting president
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 05:36:39 PM »

I did do a thread on this: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=182757.0

But its OK, I'll do it again on this thread (and an update, perhaps)

Libertarians:

1. Immigration (I'm centrist to right leaning on this issue, I find the no quotas argument a bit extreme, but do support a path to citizenship.)
2. Abortion (Support some restrictions, but mostly pro-choice with exceptions. Again, I find the no restrictions argument a bit extreme)
3. Welfare/Social Security/Medicare (a bit more moderate than some libertarians, I do think government has some involvement in this, but minimal. I'm not for the elimination of these systems, but for privatization and reform)

That's actually about it. I'm not going to do the republican party because god knows how many issues I would be writing down here. And what I disagree with should be obvious for many issues.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 05:40:55 PM »

For the most part, I am a liberal on all issues. Anything I disagree with my party on (Democrats) I disagree with from the left.

Social issues: I am almost always libertarian on social issues, but there are exceptions. I support decriminalizing prostitution, decriminalizing hard drugs, banning gay conversion therapy, implementing strict gun control laws, and protecting women's rights, and a few other social issues. I'm better described as a social liberal than social libertarian.

Economic issues: With a few exceptions, I am an economic leftist. Other than protectionism, race-based affirmative action (I support class-based though), and government ownership of business*, I'm a leftist. I also strongly support nearly all efforts towards environmental protection.

*I do support removing corporate personhood status, but I'd like to see small business be successful.

So in conclusion, I'm only really conservative on protectionism.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 05:49:30 PM »

Ah, I never even noticed that forum. I guess it does fit in better there.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2013, 05:51:24 PM »

Let's see:

1. I support gay marriage.
2. I'm pro-choice except for third trimester abortions.
3. I support legalizing marijuana.
4. I don't think that intelligent design should be taught alongside evolution.

There are probably a few more things that I'm forgetting, but those are the big things that come to mind.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2013, 07:12:00 PM »

Very little. I'm pretty party line on most issues in the Conservative Party. The disputes I do have usually concern foreign policy which puts me in conflict with the libertarian wing, thankfully though they have no real power. Sometimes I would prefer things such as greater tax cuts/spending cuts but that doesn't mean I'm disagreeing with the party as a whole.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2013, 07:26:22 PM »

GOP: Pretty much everything but abortion, gay marriage, and school vouchers. If the Dems had a legit pro-life wing I'd switch.

Conservative Party of Canada: Pensions (I want to expand Canada Pension Plan) and electoral reform (I support MMP).
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2013, 07:30:57 PM »

With the current views of the Democratic Party:
1) Abortion: I'm pro-life with the only exception being if the mother's life is in danger
2) Entitlements: I believe the Democrats are too quick to compromise on Social Security and not doing enough to advocate removing the payroll tax cap which would be a wise move both politically and in policy terms
3) Energy Policy: The Democratic Party needs to strongly promote nuclear power as the realistic alternative to fossil fuels
4) Drug Wars: The Democrats should be advocating an end to the failed Drug Wars and immediate marijuana legalization along with decriminalization of hard drugs
5) Health Care: Obamacare is decent reform, but we need to not give up until a German-style multi-payer system is established
6) Affirmative Action: I am opposed to all race-based affirmative action
7) Gun Control: While I'm not sure if an actual blanket gun ban might significantly reduce gun deaths (although it would require repealing the Second Amendment), an Assault Weapons Ban is a useless Moderate Hero law that will change nothing and be a waste of political capital.

In general I wish the Democratic Party would stop focusing on wedge issues which due to demographic factors has tended to benefit Republicans more (at least until recently) due to people tending to turn out more (that is older, white people) taking the conservative stance on these issues. Also the Party needs to focus on Big Ideas and ambitious programs such as a national high speed rail system, revamping public education, thorough expansion and streamlining of social welfare programs, and so forth rather than just offering modest tweaks and reforms while taking the offensive by offering such bold legislation instead just of playing defence to the Republican programme of massive spending cuts, deregulation, and entitlement "reform".
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2013, 07:38:26 PM »

What does that mean? I've met protectionist conservatives and pro-free trade conservatives.

I don't really have any disagreements with the Libertarians, at least none that come to mind.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2013, 07:58:45 PM »

What does that mean? I've met protectionist conservatives and pro-free trade conservatives.

I don't really have any disagreements with the Libertarians, at least none that come to mind.
As in that I support free trade, but more from a globalization/anti-corporate welfare standpoint than a traditional laissez-faire one.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2013, 08:00:09 PM »

As in that I support free trade, but more from a globalization/anti-corporate welfare standpoint than a traditional laissez-faire one.

Free trade is rather ironic since in the past it was the liberal parties that supported it while conservatives and business interests opposed it.
RedSLC
SLValleyMan
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2013, 08:06:27 PM »

Some issues:

1. I'm not completely opposed to the death penalty, though I understand why a lot of people are, as the way that America implements it is rather poor. I would probably aim to keep it an option, but to restrict actual usage.
2. I support nuclear power as an alternative energy source.
3. I believe that affirmative action in education should be reformed to make it more income/class-based, rather than race-based, though I would support maintaining some race-based affirmative-action policies for employers.
4. I don't support an Assault Weapons Ban, which I believe to be ineffective and subject to legal challenges. Rather, I support a universal background check policy to make sure that guns do not fall into the wrong hands.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2013, 08:32:25 PM »

Free trade is rather ironic since in the past it was the liberal parties that supported it while conservatives and business interests opposed it.
True, but those were mostly classical liberal parties, no?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2013, 08:44:45 PM »

With the current views of the Democratic Party:
1) Abortion: I'm pro-life with the only exception being if the mother's life is in danger
2) Entitlements: I believe the Democrats are too quick to compromise on Social Security and not doing enough to advocate removing the payroll tax cap which would be a wise move both politically and in policy terms
3) Energy Policy: The Democratic Party needs to strongly promote nuclear power as the realistic alternative to fossil fuels
4) Drug Wars: The Democrats should be advocating an end to the failed Drug Wars and immediate marijuana legalization along with decriminalization of hard drugs
5) Health Care: Obamacare is decent reform, but we need to not give up until a German-style multi-payer system is established
6) Affirmative Action: I am opposed to all race-based affirmative action
7) Gun Control: While I'm not sure if an actual blanket gun ban might significantly reduce gun deaths (although it would require repealing the Second Amendment), an Assault Weapons Ban is a useless Moderate Hero law that will change nothing and be a waste of political capital.

I also agree with you on 2, 4, and 5, but I didn't include them because I think most Democratic voters agree with those things, even if the Democratic politicians are still stuck in a rut and are behind the times (or alternatively, are bought and paid for by lobbyists).
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2013, 03:59:32 PM »

Immigration reform
Bailouts to Wallstreet Occupy Wallstreet crowd
Obamacare should of been single payer
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2013, 04:15:00 PM »

I oppose gun control, the surveillance state, interventionism, maintenance of our current drug laws, protectionism, affirmative action, the crusade against corporate personhood, some of the anti-nuclear elements, and the party's opposition to, say, partial-birth abortion bans.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2013, 04:59:36 PM »

Christian Democrats

- I support gay marriage.
- I prefer tougher sentences for rape, murder and violence than they do.
- I am in favour of a stricter immigration policy than they do.
- I would prefer state and church to be separated, because I prefer a self governing church and think it would benefit from not to be seen as part of the public sector.

TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2013, 09:05:09 PM »

1. Immigration
2. The Death Penalty
3. Unions (sort of, I'd agree with the RINOs)
4. Taxes (sort of, I'd agree with the RINOs)
5. The NSA
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2013, 01:24:05 AM »

1) Their pro-Israel stance
2) Their recent hawkish moves on foreign policy
3) The ACA not being liberal enough
4) Marijuana legalization
5) Not having backbones when it comes to compromises over issues like unemployment benefits
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2013, 02:52:24 AM »

I'm an independent but usually vote for SVP and EDU (rarely FDP, CVP and EVP) candidates. The main reason I support these two parties is that they are socially and fiscally conservative and are almost the only political groups which reliably and credibly defend Switzerland's strict neutrality and independence. Unfortunately, most other parties are too eager to tie Switzerland to international organizations and agreements in some way or another. Anyway, here's where I differ from the two parties:

1. I support a more generous and lenient treatment of asylum seekers.
2. I would prefer to cut down on our agricultural subsidies.
3. I acknowledge that a certain degree of state intervention in the housing market is necessary. The middle and lower classes must be able to afford to live in urban centers so it's good when the government subsidies apartments in cities.
4. In general, I disagree most with some elements of the Swiss right when it comes to issues like style and tone. I don't like the hyper-aggressiveness of the Swiss People's Party. Fortunately the party is slowly changing in this respect.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2013, 12:06:00 PM »

USA Dems - loads Tongue
Thai Dems - not much Cheesy
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2013, 02:00:29 PM »

The Democratic Party has too much trust in the so-called free market to ever fight inequality properly without significantly altering its policies.  On many issues, there is too much hesitance to address problems sufficiently so as to address the concerns of a seemingly relentless opposition. It needs to be pushing for, at a very minimum:
a. Removal of the $106,800 wage base on Social Security taxation,
b. Abolition of capital punishment, and eventual abolition of life imprisonment without the possibility of parole,
c. Cessation of anti-narcotics policies in favor of legalization and harm reduction efforts,
d. Immediate amnesty for undocumented immigrants as well as a substantial loosening of requirements through the legal channel,
e. Automatic voter registration, extending the franchise to felons, replacement of the electoral college with the popular vote, and DC statehood,
f. Implementation of a single-payer health care system,
g. Guaranteed minimum income, or, failing that, a $15/hr minimum wage and the repeal of work requirements for welfare assistance,
h. Introduction of a steep carbon tax,
i. Nuclear disarmament on a domestic and global scale,
j. Federal education standards to prohibit the public funding of creationism, intelligent design, and abstinence-only programs, as well as a ban on government spending being diverted to private schools,
k. Ratification of common-sense United Nations treaties,
etc., etc.,
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2013, 02:30:09 PM »

Since it's hard to really categorize what most of the GOP believes on these issues, this is kind of a difficult question, but here's my best answer:

Equal Pay: Support equal pay for equal work (for both men and women); pay should depend on the type of work and the hours put in rather than sex/gender
LGBTs in Military: Support allowing homosexuals to serve openly if they want, but don't require them to state their sexual preference
Gay Marriage: Support civil unions (and redefining them to give equal benefits to marriage)
Affirmative Action: Oppose quotas, but support merit-based programs that prevent racial discrimination
Death Penalty: Should be left to the states in most cases (no personal position either way)
Environmental Regulation/Global Warming: Believe in global warming and human activity as a factor, support market-based environmental policy by the government (e.g. tax incentives) for sustainable development (instead of more regulation)
Role of Tea Party movement: Has some good ideas, but does more harm than good for the party
Illegal Immigration: Simplify legal immigration process, consider amnesty for illegals who have been in US a certain amount of time
Bailouts: Were OK this time, but take steps to prevent them in the future
Foreign Policy: Support more moderate approach; don't "police the world" but don't withdraw either
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2013, 09:08:04 AM »

I'm generally to the left of most Democratic voters, especially those elected to office. I think my primary difference on that aspect is that I am strongly opposed to race-based affirmative action. Most Democrats also seem to want to give Israel the benefit of the doubt. I don't agree and I think they lost that right many years ago. Until and unless Israel can elect better leadership, they deserve no special treatment from the US.
Brewer
BrewerPaul

Political Matrix
E: -6.90, S: -6.17

« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2013, 04:04:00 PM »

1. I oppose gun control.
2. I support coal, oil, and nuclear, and I'm against cap-and-trade and Kyoto.
3. I am opposed to expansive NSA surveillance.
4. I want to expand the Affordable Care Act.
5. I support a Balanced Budget Amendment, and am more fiscally conservative.
6. Completely opposed to affirmative action.
7. I support legalizing marijuana.
8. I support a little stricter immigration policy than most Dems.
9. I support decriminalizing prostitution.
10. Want to see a $21 minimum wage adjusted with inflation.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies