On which issues do you disagree with your own party?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:42:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  On which issues do you disagree with your own party?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: On which issues do you disagree with your own party?  (Read 5816 times)
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2014, 01:44:31 AM »

Unions, protectionism, gun control.

What exactly are the Independent stances on those issues? Tongue

Sorry, I still post like I have a red avi sometimes.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2014, 01:46:30 AM »

Yeah, I thought you were more of a Democrat, I just didn't want to make assumptions. Wink
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2014, 09:24:13 PM »

Since I'm still technically a registered Democrat:

- Imperial foreign policy intent on destroying third world economies and expanding the profit margins of American multinationals
- Toleration of or support of low tax rates on capital gains and corporations, as well as a lax policy on criminal bankers and other social parasites
- Retarded escalation of the military budget
- Anything the national security state does, including wiretapping, warrantless surveillance, etc.
- The opening up of public lands to private speculators and energy companies, as well as believing that natural resources should be owned by individuals rather than the community
- Agricultural policy that defers to agribusiness at the expense of family farmers
- Support for criminal banking enterprises, mass accumulation of debt (tax the bastards, stop borrowing from them)
- Complete and total inability of the Democratic Party to enforce or expand provisions protecting workers
- Obamacare is awful and should be replaced by socialized medicine

etc
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2014, 06:39:46 PM »

Where I stand against the GOP:

1) Education - I favor a complete federal standardization of K-12 education with State governments' role reduced to "facilities management"
2) Spending - Favor increasing discretionary spending at the same rate as GDP growth
3) Aborition - Support Roe v. Wade and would appoint justices to uphold it
Obscure
Rookie
United States

« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2014, 07:37:36 PM »
« Edited: January 07, 2014, 08:51:07 PM by Obscure »

Where I oppose the GOP:

1) Abortion: I believe abortions should be safe, rare, and legal. But agree that they should NOT be federally funded.

2) Taxes: I do believe that many taxes are necessary.

3) Death penalty: I only support the death penalty if there's DNA evidence, because mistakes can be made otherwise.

4) Gay marriage: I support civil unions.

5) I absolutely 100% OPPOSE the patriot act.

6) I think that green energy (Solar, wind, etc.) is the way of the future.

7) Marijuana. Legalize it.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2014, 02:36:59 AM »
« Edited: January 17, 2014, 02:51:24 AM by eric82oslo »

For the most part, I am a liberal on all issues. Anything I disagree with my party on (Democrats) I disagree with from the left.

Basically this. Can't think of anything that I strongly disagree with mainstream Democrats about, except perhaps that most US Democrats are still way too naive about Israeli politics (though it's nothing compared to 99% of Republicans of course) [Kirsten Gillibrand's Israeli position is the best example of this that I can think of]. To me, Israeli politics are (way) worse than Palestinian politics, while from US officials, except most/all of the Obama administration, Palestinians almost always get all of the blame, while it should have been the other way around. In Western European politics, the Israeli government almost always get most or all of the blame, which is the right position in my view.

Oh, one more thing: Most Democratic politicians appear almost as hawkish on military spending as Republicans, which is quite incredible to me. The USA in 2013 spent 39% of the world's more than 200 countries' entire military expenditures. That means that the world's remaining 200 or so countries together only spent 61% of the world's military expenditures! The US spent more than 4 times as much on its military than China, which has a population more than 4 times greater than the US - so per capita USA spent almost 20 times as much as the Chinese government. The US spent almost 8 times more on its military than Russia, 11 times more than Japan, UK and France, 15 times more than India or 60 times more than India per capita. Even 20 times more than Brazil and 40 times more than Turkey. And these are all countries that spend enormous, if not insane, amounts on their national militaries. In fact, the US alone spent almost 100 times more on its military than its southern neighbour Mexico!

I definitely don't support legalizing hard drugs. Tongue I'm fine with marihuana and ecstasy however. Perhaps amphetamine as well, though I don't know much about it. Definitely not heroine and cocaine.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2014, 01:09:17 AM »

1) Much of foreign policy in general. I disagree with the mainstream of the party on issues like Israel (their current leadership is god awful and they seem to blame the Palestinians for all the issues today for reasons I don't understand) and the surveillance state (spying on non-felons is immoral IMO). Also think they are too cozy to the military.
2) I don't like race-based affirmative action, and would prefer it to be class/income-based.
3) Slightly more left-wing than most mainline Democrats on social issues, I support marijuana legalisation and don't support bans on prostitution. Also don't think band-aid solutions to gun control like the Assault Weapons Ban works.
4) I don't like how spineless the Dems are on most economic issues, but I guess a lot of the time it isn't their fault.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2014, 10:36:21 AM »

3) Aborition - Support Roe v. Wade and would appoint justices to uphold it

Even from the perspective of someone who is pro-choice, there is a good reason to have issues with Roe v. Wade from a legal perspective. I believe Antonio even has acknowledged this point.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2014, 10:53:27 AM »
« Edited: January 21, 2014, 02:02:07 AM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

Trade - I would have opposed NAFTA. Also, while I am pro-free trade, I think that a lot of what is being called free trade in this day in age really isn't and whatever it is, it is failing and discrediting free trade. At the same time, it is clear that protectionism does not work. Historically, it has almost always backfired. The only instance where it worked was via the infant-industry approach, whereby the Embargo and then the tariff of 1816 helped New England switch from trade to textiles. Later such ones almost always went to far and caused severe consequences like the tarriff of abominations, McKinley Tariff and finally Smoot-Hawley.

Guns - I support background checks, but I oppose all other forms of gun control.

Immigration - My opposition to Comprehensive Immigration Reform is well known. I don't think it works, and I think it is insane to continue to pursue a policy that has failed in the past and then expect it will actually change the situation for the better. I support mandatory E-verify and effective interior enforcement, whilst I also oppose a path to legalization on the grounds that will incentivize future illegal immigration. At the same time I oppose the zero-growthers, which is frankly just as insane from the opposition direction. I do support legal immigration, possibly even at high levels but with a more economic-based, contextual approach and not numbers being pushed for by business groups that have a vested interest. There are limits both natural and societal that have to be considered. We cannot keep flooding down wage labor markets that have been hit hard, and the Southwest cannot sustain larger populations. I guess you could call it smart growth instead of zero-growth. I also support continuing birthright citizenship.  

Minimum Wage - I support a higher minimum wage. But some efforts should be made to ease the impact on the small businesses and new startups.

Medicaid Expansion - While not ideal, as long as obamacare is the law, states should take the medicaid expansion. Even in the absence of obamacare, something along these lines or like what Arkansas was trying to do, should be included to provide coverage to the poor. The biggest problem with medicaid is that the problem itself has problems that weaken it as a solution.

House Reform - The house should represent the people. I support either the Wyoming or Cube-Root rule for determining the number of seats to be apportioned amongst the states. When it comes to redistricting, l want some strict criteria or standards applied to the legislatures (like IA), or depending on the state, an independent commission for the drawing the districts (Big and swing states obviously).

Lastly, I support state based civil unions and thus oppose the Federal Marriage Amendment, which is why I voted against Amendment 1 here in North Carolina since it banned civil unions as well as gay marriage.

On some issues, the GOP has been pushed towards me courtesy of the tea party and various factors from 2008 to now. This is the case with spending, pork, Immigration (until 2012) and a few others that would have been on the list in 2008 but are not now.

Edit: Had to cut this short the other day so I have thus expanded on it.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2014, 09:40:04 PM »

Affirmative Action and gun control
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2014, 07:41:54 PM »

So you support the second-class status your party wants to give you as a gay American?
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2014, 08:22:25 PM »

So you support the second-class status your party wants to give you as a gay American?
He used to where a D avatar.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #62 on: January 22, 2014, 09:15:47 PM »

What is the Democratic stance on protectionism?
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #63 on: January 23, 2014, 12:17:29 PM »

What is the Democratic stance on protectionism?

It's bad and should be wiped out in favor of corporate-friendly "free trade" agreements, if the policies of Bill Clinton and Barack Obama are anything to judge it by.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #64 on: January 27, 2014, 01:07:51 AM »

Let's see.

Well, for one, I really don't care for how liberals tend to put so much emphasis on gun control at the expense of other crime-related issues.  But at the same time, I don't like how the NRA has so much leverage over both parties - especially the Democrats; the latter mainly being because I really don't like powerful lobbies having excessive influence regardless of who it's coming from or which party is being affected.

Secondly, I don't like the lack of contrast between the parties on foreign policy/defense/privacy issues, and this is something I mostly blame Democrats for.  In fact, lately I've seen myself agreeing more with the Republicans on surveillance issues... but I suspect that will change when we get another Republican president who endorses more Patriot Act-esque policies.

And third, I don't like how the Democrats utterly refuse to put competing ideas on the table at times, especially when it involves Social Security and balancing the budget.  The Republicans have won every argument on these fronts thanks to the cowardliness.

It's funny.  A few days ago I had tons of these in mind when my computer was down for repair, but now I can only think of the above three.  I'll try to add more if I think of anything else.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #65 on: January 27, 2014, 09:43:18 AM »

Let's see.

Well, for one, I really don't care for how liberals tend to put so much emphasis on gun control at the expense of other crime-related issues.  But at the same time, I don't like how the NRA has so much leverage over both parties - especially the Democrats; the latter mainly being because I really don't like powerful lobbies having excessive influence regardless of who it's coming from or which party is being affected.

Secondly, I don't like the lack of contrast between the parties on foreign policy/defense/privacy issues, and this is something I mostly blame Democrats for.  In fact, lately I've seen myself agreeing more with the Republicans on surveillance issues... but I suspect that will change when we get another Republican president who endorses more Patriot Act-esque policies.

And third, I don't like how the Democrats utterly refuse to put competing ideas on the table at times, especially when it involves Social Security and balancing the budget.  The Republicans have won every argument on these fronts thanks to the cowardliness.

It's funny.  A few days ago I had tons of these in mind when my computer was down for repair, but now I can only think of the above three.  I'll try to add more if I think of anything else.

So you're mad that the Democrats haven't strongly considered letting Grandma starve to balance the budget? What a strange 'progressive' you are.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #66 on: January 27, 2014, 11:05:15 AM »

Let's see.

So you're mad that the Democrats haven't strongly considered letting Grandma starve to balance the budget? What a strange 'progressive' you are.

You do know, that if absolutely nothing is done, then when the mythical trust fund is exhausted, those benefits are going to take a sudden cut of thirty percent or so, don't you?  Granted, something likely will be done, but the sooner something is done, the less painful it will be, and the less the Republicans will be able to extract from the Democrats in exchange for doing it.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #67 on: January 27, 2014, 11:56:01 AM »

Let's see.

Scott's criticism is that the Democrat's haven't given out enough competing proposals.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #68 on: January 27, 2014, 02:46:37 PM »

Let's see.

Um, pardon?  Where did I suggest that Democrats have to agree with the Republicans on how these issues are dealt with?  I'm just annoyed at how they totally dismiss these problems and how their lack of a proposal leaves us with the Republicans' terrible austerity plans.  It's not good politically and it's not practical.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies