Time to face facts, the GOP is NOT a national party
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:11:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Time to face facts, the GOP is NOT a national party
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Time to face facts, the GOP is NOT a national party  (Read 3457 times)
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2014, 10:05:40 PM »

Let's face facts. The Democratic Party just is not a national party anymore.

I mean, come on guys. Twice now, in the past five elections, they've lost in tremendous landslides and have only managed to continually win the District of Columbia. Come on, you lefties - just try to tell me I'm wrong.

Yes, the democrats weren't a national party then as the maps clearly show.  What's your point, or like most right wingers did you not have one?

The point is that just like the republicans now, the democratic party was still a NATIONAL party and rebounded tremendously in 2008. Just because a party loses a series of elections does not mean its relegated to being a 'regional party'.

Because you seem to be so ignorant on the issue, take a look at some of the Quebec parties or Scottish parties in the UK. Those are REGIONAL parties...they draw their support exclusively from one ethnic or cultural region.

The republican party still wins 40%+ in California and Massachusetts, regional parties like the ones suggested above will never get out of the single digits outside of their home territory.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2014, 11:35:07 PM »

Let's face facts. The Democratic Party just is not a national party anymore.

I mean, come on guys. Twice now, in the past five elections, they've lost in tremendous landslides and have only managed to continually win the District of Columbia. Come on, you lefties - just try to tell me I'm wrong.

Yes, the democrats weren't a national party then as the maps clearly show.  What's your point, or like most right wingers did you not have one?

The point is that just like the republicans now, the democratic party was still a NATIONAL party and rebounded tremendously in 2008. Just because a party loses a series of elections does not mean its relegated to being a 'regional party'.

Because you seem to be so ignorant on the issue, take a look at some of the Quebec parties or Scottish parties in the UK. Those are REGIONAL parties...they draw their support exclusively from one ethnic or cultural region.

The republican party still wins 40%+ in California and Massachusetts, regional parties like the ones suggested above will never get out of the single digits outside of their home territory.

There's definitely a spectrum here but its true that both Ds and Rs are, in their own way, regional parties and national parties. When they win, they win victories from nearly coast to coast and generally seem to have
broad support. When they lose, they seem to only get support from particular ethnicities and sects and seem to huddled in one or two corners of the map.  Then again, both parties have been able to get at least
45% of the vote each election and only have a few states where they are stuck below 40%. A lot of "very conservative" or "very blue" states only have the dominant party getting only getting like 55% of the vote.
Then again, 2012 was kinda weird with all but like NC and GA of the Republican states being REALLY Republican. So, in a way, the narrative is very bendable. Especially, when the stage is two national parties that get
most of their votes from groups that could come across as "exotic" to people who might have lived just a few decades ago.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2014, 12:00:44 PM »

By this logical democrats are not a national party either...dumb argument is dumb

"by this logical..." I stopped reading after this.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies