SWEDEN - September 14, 2014 - GUIDE and THREAD
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 02:55:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  SWEDEN - September 14, 2014 - GUIDE and THREAD
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 29
Author Topic: SWEDEN - September 14, 2014 - GUIDE and THREAD  (Read 96847 times)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: April 22, 2014, 03:14:30 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Of course they have.

Edit: QUESTION - if C or KD fall out of parliament will that basically be the end for them?

Like Lurker I think tactical votes will save them at the end of the day. C has a lot of resources (they used to be called the world's richest party, not sure if that is still true and it obviously depended on some weird metric) and a strong party organization so they could bounce back. They're also easier to redefine. The Christian Democrats are fixed in their image in the minds of many, they're a newer party which is significantly weaker in many ways. Also, they have alienated their base a lot with their abandonment of religious politics.

A core problem for KD is that the natural tack for them is to become a modern conservative party. They've made moves in this direction, like when Hägglund talked about "the people of reality" or when Ebba Busch talked about limiting the state's powers and being like a watchdog towards the government. But a large part of their supporters are religious conservatives who sort of want government intervention in both the economy and on social issues. So they're a bit trapped in contradiction.
Enno von Loewenstern
Rookie
« Reply #201 on: April 22, 2014, 04:53:23 AM »

A core problem for KD is that the natural tack for them is to become a modern conservative party. They've made moves in this direction, like when Hägglund talked about "the people of reality" or when Ebba Busch talked about limiting the state's powers and being like a watchdog towards the government. But a large part of their supporters are religious conservatives who sort of want government intervention in both the economy and on social issues. So they're a bit trapped in contradiction.
[/quote]

Just as a hypothetical question: If KD disappears how would their voters split? Would be 2% Moderates, 1% Center and 1% SD a good guess?
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #202 on: April 22, 2014, 05:50:10 AM »

Just as a hypothetical question: If KD disappears how would their voters split? Would be 2% Moderates, 1% Center and 1% SD a good guess?

Interestingly enough there was a poll (Yougov) published this very morning on how people who voted for KD in '10 would vote today:

47,5% would still vote for KD
15,4% would either not vote or vote for a non-parliamentary party
11,5% would vote for SD
8,5% would vote for M
4,6% would vote for S
4,4% would vote for MP
4,1% would vote for FP
3,0% would vote for C
1,0% would vote for V

Not the same thing as what you're asking for, but it should give a hand-wave of how the party might split.

FredLindq
« Reply #203 on: April 22, 2014, 07:22:58 AM »

"Second party" for KD voters in 2010:
M 36%
FP 22%
C 20%
MP 10%
S 6%
SD 4%
V 2%

Probably most of the KD voters were really M, FP and C tactical votes. So for the centreright it would propbably not mean that much in votes if they disapperad.
FredLindq
« Reply #204 on: April 22, 2014, 07:28:41 AM »

"Second party" for C voters in 2010:
M 39%
FP 29%
MP 21%
KD 7%
S 5%
V 2%
SD 1%
Others 1% 

Probably most of the C-voters where really M and FP tactical votes. So for the centreright it would propbably not mean that m in votes if they disapperad, but more since MP is a so strong second party for C-voters.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #205 on: April 22, 2014, 09:29:47 AM »

The Austrian newspaper "DiePresse" is reporting that the center-right government is calling for a massive increase in defense spending for the 2015 budget, because of fear of Russian aggression.

Sweden will also order a ton of new submarines and aircraft/fighter jets under these plans.

http://diepresse.com/home/politik/aussenpolitik/1596888/Angst-vor-Russland_Schweden-rustet-wieder-auf

What impact will these plans have ? Could this strenghten the government ahead of the poll, or is it just a thing to divert attention from that scandal you mentioned in the previous pages ?
Lurker
Norway
« Reply #206 on: April 22, 2014, 11:34:12 AM »

Wouldn't this make the completely superfluous though? A better way to stay relevant could be to adopt a profile more like their Norwegian sister party. Though the market for "social conservatism" in Sweden may be even smaller than here,  I suppose.
Heimdal
HenryH

« Reply #207 on: April 22, 2014, 12:26:19 PM »

Wouldn't this make the completely superfluous though? A better way to stay relevant could be to adopt a profile more like their Norwegian sister party. Though the market for "social conservatism" in Sweden may be even smaller than here,  I suppose.

I don’t think that would solve any of their problems. KrF is tied to a dying demographic (old religious people in rural areas). I think it is just a matter of time before they disappear.
Their challenge is probably the same as the one facing the Swedish Christian Democrats. They can’t turn into a normal Scandinavian conservative party. Then there will be no point in voting for them (as you mentioned). They can’t turn into a party opposing “islamization” and standing up for Christian values, since that part of the field is already occupied by SD/FrP.

I think it is fair to say that the Christian Democrats in Sweden and Norway will end up like their sister party in Denmark; as a marginalized party clinging on to a continually diminishing group of voters. 
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #208 on: April 22, 2014, 01:22:20 PM »

My point though was that the role of a modern conservative party is vacant, so they could actually take it. And it would also, I think, fit quite well with the kind of voters they might attract.
Lurker
Norway
« Reply #209 on: April 22, 2014, 01:30:38 PM »

Sorry if I sound pedantic here, but what would "modern conservative" entail, as you see it? I.e., comparable to what foreign parties? Wouldn't they still overlap quite a lot with Moderaterna?
The Lord Marbury
EvilSpaceAlien
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -5.91

« Reply #210 on: April 22, 2014, 02:28:57 PM »
« Edited: April 22, 2014, 02:32:04 PM by The Lord Marbury »

The Austrian newspaper "DiePresse" is reporting that the center-right government is calling for a massive increase in defense spending for the 2015 budget, because of fear of Russian aggression.

Sweden will also order a ton of new submarines and aircraft/fighter jets under these plans.

http://diepresse.com/home/politik/aussenpolitik/1596888/Angst-vor-Russland_Schweden-rustet-wieder-auf

What impact will these plans have ? Could this strenghten the government ahead of the poll, or is it just a thing to divert attention from that scandal you mentioned in the previous pages ?

It's not what you could call a "massive increase". Only 1.2 billion SEK of this 5.5 billion increase is fully financed today and half of that comes from "new priorities" in current defense spending and the other half comes from an increase in fines for some types of criminal offenses! It's just ridiculous. And the fact is that this announcement comes two weeks after the government presented a 300 million cut in defense spending in the spring budget and a few weeks before the joint parliamentary defense committee will present their proposal for future Swedish defense politics. Why couldn't they wait for that to ensure that there was long-term crossparty support in this crucial political area? The answer is it's all about electoral politics here. And I doubt it'll strenghten the government much, generally I think people will see through this or not even pay attention to it.
Enno von Loewenstern
Rookie
« Reply #211 on: April 22, 2014, 03:57:58 PM »

Sorry if I sound pedantic here, but what would "modern conservative" entail, as you see it? I.e., comparable to what foreign parties? Wouldn't they still overlap quite a lot with Moderaterna?

Same question.
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #212 on: April 22, 2014, 06:00:30 PM »

It's not what you could call a "massive increase". Only 1.2 billion SEK of this 5.5 billion increase is fully financed today and half of that comes from "new priorities" in current defense spending and the other half comes from an increase in fines for some types of criminal offenses! It's just ridiculous. And the fact is that this announcement comes two weeks after the government presented a 300 million cut in defense spending in the spring budget and a few weeks before the joint parliamentary defense committee will present their proposal for future Swedish defense politics. Why couldn't they wait for that to ensure that there was long-term crossparty support in this crucial political area? The answer is it's all about electoral politics here. And I doubt it'll strenghten the government much, generally I think people will see through this or not even pay attention to it.

What? Politicians saying they'll do something purely for political gain? Surely not! I'm shocked and disgusted. Of course your party would never do that! Tongue
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #213 on: April 22, 2014, 06:49:29 PM »

Same question.
The Lord Marbury
EvilSpaceAlien
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -5.91

« Reply #214 on: April 22, 2014, 11:09:26 PM »

What? Politicians saying they'll do something purely for political gain? Surely not! I'm shocked and disgusted. Of course your party would never do that! Tongue

Not say my party doesn't do that kind of stuff either, just saying one could be honest when having a discussion about these things. Wink
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #215 on: April 23, 2014, 11:44:37 AM »

Same question.

You seem to assume that Moderaterna is a conservative party these days...

I mean taking actual conservative positions. Like, cutting taxes and opposing a large welfare state. Wanting a strong defence. Being a little bit patriotic, perhaps favouring some restrictions on immigration.

Moderaterna is doing none of that at the moment, which is why another party could take it.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #216 on: April 23, 2014, 12:05:41 PM »

Same question.

I mean taking actual conservative positions. Like, cutting taxes and opposing a large welfare state. Wanting a strong defence. Being a little bit patriotic, perhaps favouring some restrictions on immigration.

Moderaterna is doing none of that at the moment, which is why another party could take it.

But isn't M's centrist turn a consequence of the fact that such a "conservative" party would just never manage to become electorally competitive? Pre-2006 electoral history would point in that direction. Tongue
njwes
United States

« Reply #217 on: April 23, 2014, 12:51:48 PM »

An idea stolen from the German politics thread just because I think it's fun, here's the number of Facebook likes by party:

SD: 75,360
Moderates: 22,360
FP: 7,440
C: 8,150
KD: 5,320
SAP: 55,460
V: 22,390
Greens: 26,720

and just to be inclusive,

Pirates: 81,130

#s rounded slightly for aesthetics.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #218 on: April 23, 2014, 12:53:40 PM »

M represents The Man therefore is obviously the principle conservative party of record Tongue
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #219 on: April 23, 2014, 01:17:23 PM »

Same question.

But isn't M's centrist turn a consequence of the fact that such a "conservative" party would just never manage to become electorally competitive? Pre-2006 electoral history would point in that direction. Tongue

You're taking the wrong attitude. Pre 2006-M usually raked in about 20% of the vote. I think KD would be pretty happy with half of that. Tongue
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #220 on: April 23, 2014, 01:20:03 PM »

M represents The Man therefore is obviously the principle conservative party of record Tongue

I know what you're getting at, but I think KD when they did well appealed to a lot of typical M-voters.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #221 on: April 23, 2014, 02:13:14 PM »

Same question.

You're taking the wrong attitude. Pre 2006-M usually raked in about 20% of the vote. I think KD would be pretty happy with half of that. Tongue

Well, they certainly could get up to 20% (that's what the FrP did in Norway, after all), but even if they did, there's no way they'd get enough support from other parties to lead a government or to push economic policy massively to the right. Thank God Sweden doesn't have a two-party system. Wink In order to really hold power for a significant amount of time, you need to get at least as centrist as M did.
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #222 on: April 23, 2014, 04:22:45 PM »

The National Democrats dissolve

The minor far-right party, the National Democrats, has dissolved, ending it's 13 year existence. That were the news published in a letter by party leader Marc Abrahamsson on the party's own website today. The party has suffered from crisis since 2010 by losing support to the Sweden Democrats, and to the even more far-right The Swedes' Party (SvP). Abrahamsson himself claims he'll now support SD in the up-coming elections.

Good to see them go. Unfortunately, most of their remaining few supporters will probably flock to the even worse SvP.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #223 on: April 23, 2014, 06:09:46 PM »

Same question.

Well, they certainly could get up to 20% (that's what the FrP did in Norway, after all), but even if they did, there's no way they'd get enough support from other parties to lead a government or to push economic policy massively to the right. Thank God Sweden doesn't have a two-party system. Wink In order to really hold power for a significant amount of time, you need to get at least as centrist as M did.

I'm not sure I understand your point. It isn't as if KD is leading a government at the moment either?

My point is that by pushing to the right they could become a strong junior coalition partner in a centre-right alliance as opposed to a weak one like they are now. Disgruntled M voters could vote for them to drag the government rightwards.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #224 on: April 23, 2014, 09:36:17 PM »

Same question.

I'm not sure I understand your point. It isn't as if KD is leading a government at the moment either?

My point is that by pushing to the right they could become a strong junior coalition partner in a centre-right alliance as opposed to a weak one like they are now. Disgruntled M voters could vote for them to drag the government rightwards.

That's an interesting idea. As you said earlier, SD seems to be occupying that portion of the spectrum so there's no space for them to expand Sad
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 29  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies