SWEDEN - September 14, 2014 - GUIDE and THREAD
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:59:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  SWEDEN - September 14, 2014 - GUIDE and THREAD
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 29
Author Topic: SWEDEN - September 14, 2014 - GUIDE and THREAD  (Read 96922 times)
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #325 on: May 28, 2014, 11:13:14 AM »
« edited: May 28, 2014, 11:20:42 AM by Swedish Cheese »

OK, probably Rosenberg is just seen in Finland as a typical Swede concerning feminism (although she is actually Finn). Same time it was told that Göran Person considered himself feminist, that was interpreted as support to radical feminist world view ( an appeaser of radical feminism). 

Gustaf, I have never seen you to distance yourself from feminist demagogy.

What nonsense is that? I've never heard you once distance yourself from killing babies. That doesn't mean you support killing babies... I hope?

It'd be preferable if you based your claims on facts rather than stereotypes that might be common about Swedes in Finland, as there are quite some unflattering stereotypes people over here holds about Finnish people.

The idea of Persson being an appeaser of radical feminist is ridiculous.

eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #326 on: May 28, 2014, 11:26:33 AM »

"In the European Parliament election, 2009, the party improved its result, getting 2.2%. This was not enough to get a seat in the European Parliament. It has been speculated that one reason for the improvement was the 1,000,000 Swedish kronor donation made to the party by former ABBA member Benny Andersson."

Tongue
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #327 on: May 28, 2014, 12:03:21 PM »

OK, probably Rosenberg is just seen in Finland as a typical Swede concerning feminism (although she is actually Finn).  Same time it was told that Göran Person considered himself feminist, that was interpreted as support to radical feminist world view ( an appeaser of radical feminism).  

Your media misreports stuff and thus you're excused in being ignorant? That makes no sense.

And why would I distance myself from feminist demagogy? There is next to none of that on this forum. Or in the world for that matter. As a matter of fact, I have never seen YOU distance yourself from feminist demagogy (whatever that means) either! AND you're Finnish, just like Rosenberg. Maybe you're her. Shocked
Tayya
Sweden

« Reply #328 on: May 28, 2014, 12:30:38 PM »

In other news, the final counting of the votes is on-going, with more than 75% in. Two things to watch:

1. Could the Greens steal the Social Democrats' 6th mandate and make it into their 4th? It's unlikely, but possible as the postal votes of the largest regions (Stockholm, Västra Götaland incl. Gothenburg and Skåne incl. Malmö) are left uncounted. Postal votes are few in number, but tend to favor the Greens at the Social Democrats' expense.

2. Who will gain the Centre Party's mandate? Top candidate and incumbent Kent Johansson is anonymous and currently has only 11.03% of the personal votes, trailing both the no. 2 candidate Kristina Yngwe (chair of the Swedish Federation of Young Farmers) and the current leader, no. 3 on the list, Stockholm-based MP Fredrick Federley, who is aligned with the more right-wing turn of the Centre Party in contrast to the relatively traditional Kent Johansson. Federley looks likely to win, since most of Stockholm County (but not the City itself) is uncounted, but so is much of Johansson's base in rural Västra Götaland.

In 2009, two candidates got in on personal votes - Federley would be the only one in this election with most other parties having stronger top candidates and/or weaker challengers.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #329 on: May 28, 2014, 12:35:27 PM »

So your impression was based on some random documentary which (reading the wikipedia article) was eventually revealed to be a huge pile of bullsh*t? Well, that's what I call an informed judgement. Roll Eyes
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #330 on: May 28, 2014, 03:07:28 PM »

2. Who will gain the Centre Party's mandate? Top candidate and incumbent Kent Johansson is anonymous and currently has only 11.03% of the personal votes, trailing both the no. 2 candidate Kristina Yngwe (chair of the Swedish Federation of Young Farmers) and the current leader, no. 3 on the list, Stockholm-based MP Fredrick Federley, who is aligned with the more right-wing turn of the Centre Party in contrast to the relatively traditional Kent Johansson. Federley looks likely to win, since most of Stockholm County (but not the City itself) is uncounted, but so is much of Johansson's base in rural Västra Götaland.

As you say, considering which parts are still uncounted, I think it's very unlikely that Yngwe or Johansson overtake Federley. I'll be rather satisfied as I personally do prefer him over Johansson, but I voted for Yngwe, so I'd be most happy with her. 
Lurker
Norway
« Reply #331 on: May 28, 2014, 03:29:14 PM »
« Edited: May 28, 2014, 03:32:24 PM by Lurker »

OK, probably Rosenberg is just seen in Finland as a typical Swede concerning feminism (although she is actually Finn).  Same time it was told that Göran Person considered himself feminist, that was interpreted as support to radical feminist world view ( an appeaser of radical feminism).  

Well, Finns are basically just Swedes anyway. Wink

(This thread certainly took an unexpected turn...)

Tayya
Sweden

« Reply #332 on: May 28, 2014, 04:07:37 PM »

As you say, considering which parts are still uncounted, I think it's very unlikely that Yngwe or Johansson overtake Federley. I'll be rather satisfied as I personally do prefer him over Johansson, but I voted for Yngwe, so I'd be most happy with her. 

I admit some ignorance about the Centre Party's internal workings - what are the main differences between the three? Am I correct to cast Yngwe as slightly to the right of Johansson but to the left of Federley?
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #333 on: May 28, 2014, 04:47:52 PM »

I admit some ignorance about the Centre Party's internal workings - what are the main differences between the three? Am I correct to cast Yngwe as slightly to the right of Johansson but to the left of Federley?

Federley is clearly the most principled liberal of the three, which I guess would put him economically on the right of the other two, who have a more traditional centrist bent. He's also very socially progressive.

When it comes to the other two, it's mostly a difference in style and tone.
Yngwe is young and female farmer who's a strong environmentalist and who has agricultural issues as her main focus who doesn't have a long back-ground in politics. Pretty perfect combination to appeal to most of the different factions in the party.

Kent Johansson is sort of bland. Most people I've met in the party agree that he's a good politician, not just very inspiring or charismatic. He's more of a support-tropes person, rather than one to stand on the front of a political battle.   
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #334 on: May 29, 2014, 03:49:19 AM »

So your impression was based on some random documentary which (reading the wikipedia article) was eventually revealed to be a huge pile of bullsh*t? Well, that's what I call an informed judgement. Roll Eyes

I wouldn't go so far as to call that documentary bullsht. It highlighted the issues with some radical elements of the Swedish feminist movement and I think some of the criticisms were legit (Eva Lundgren for example is a total loon).

I remember I was hanging out a lot with a radical queerfeminist who worked at a women's shelter when this story broke. Even someone like her didn't support the people depicted in the documentary.

The point though is that those people do not really represent Swedish mainstream and I don't think feminism has gone too far in Sweden or whatever. Check our rape trials for confirmation of that. Tongue
Tayya
Sweden

« Reply #335 on: May 29, 2014, 05:40:17 AM »

Federley is clearly the most principled liberal of the three, which I guess would put him economically on the right of the other two, who have a more traditional centrist bent. He's also very socially progressive.

When it comes to the other two, it's mostly a difference in style and tone.
Yngwe is young and female farmer who's a strong environmentalist and who has agricultural issues as her main focus who doesn't have a long back-ground in politics. Pretty perfect combination to appeal to most of the different factions in the party.

Kent Johansson is sort of bland. Most people I've met in the party agree that he's a good politician, not just very inspiring or charismatic. He's more of a support-tropes person, rather than one to stand on the front of a political battle.   

Well, I wouldn't know if principled is the word I'd use to describe Federley with, but hopefully he's regained his conscience since 2009 and can act more like he wants to in Brussels. The whole situation is a good example of why I'm in favor of instant-runoff voting; now we have Federley at 13% of the personal votes beating Yngwe and Johansson with 11% each. I don't think most of this year's C vote was a vote for Federley's Centre but, well, a vote for the pigs' Centre. Tongue
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #336 on: June 06, 2014, 02:55:31 AM »

Chilling poll numbers from Demoskop today.

M - 18,5%
C - 5,3%
FP - 5,7%
KD - 4,8%

S - 29,1%
V - 8,1%
MP - 13,0%

SD - 10,0%
FI - 4,4%   

The trends from the EP election seems to show up here. The Moderates are doing terribly, C and KD sllightly gaining to above 4%. Sweden Democrats, the Greens, and Feminists are doing strong. The Social Democrats surprisingly weak.

S+MP+FI government anyone?   
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #337 on: June 06, 2014, 03:41:35 AM »

M - 18,5%
C - 5,3%
FP - 5,7%
KD - 4,8%

S - 29,1%
V - 8,1%
MP - 13,0%

SD - 10,0%
FI - 4,4%   

The trends from the EP election seems to show up here. The Moderates are doing terribly, C and KD slightly gaining to above 4%. Sweden Democrats, the Greens, and Feminists are doing strong. The Social Democrats surprisingly weak.

Wouldn't that actually work better than S+Mp+V?

JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #338 on: June 06, 2014, 03:53:39 AM »

M - 18,5%
C - 5,3%
FP - 5,7%
KD - 4,8%

S - 29,1%
V - 8,1%
MP - 13,0%

SD - 10,0%
FI - 4,4%   

The trends from the EP election seems to show up here. The Moderates are doing terribly, C and KD slightly gaining to above 4%. Sweden Democrats, the Greens, and Feminists are doing strong. The Social Democrats surprisingly weak.

Wouldn't that actually work better than S+Mp+V?

It might very well. Though the highest bet is still a S+MP minority government. That's what would work most smoothly. Though it's fun to entertain the thought of a government with FI in them.

Tayya
Sweden

« Reply #339 on: June 06, 2014, 04:23:27 AM »

Mathematically, FI would gain 2 cabinet posts. But who would they have other than Schyman? And where?

My suggestion: Lina Thomsgård (founder of Rättviseförmedlingen, an organisation that collects suggestions for competent persons that increase minority representation) as Minister of Culture, with Schyman at Equality.
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #340 on: June 06, 2014, 05:39:53 AM »

Mathematically, FI would gain 2 cabinet posts. But who would they have other than Schyman? And where?

Also interesting, on those numbers the Greens would be entitled to 6 posts. (assuming 22 ministers in total) Do you dare to take a shot on what such an government would look like?
I also have a hard time thinking of a realistic place to put another FI minister except on equality. 
Tayya
Sweden

« Reply #341 on: June 06, 2014, 07:38:44 AM »

Prime Minister - Stefan Löfven (S)
Leader of the Social Democrats, former Chairman of the Metalworkers' Union

Minister for Finance - Magdalena Andersson (S)
Shadow Minister for Finance, former State Secretary and Deputy Executive of the Tax Agency
Deputy Minister for Finance and Minister for Financial MarketsPer Bolund (MP)
Spokesperson for Financial Affairs, MP, former Stockholm Commissioner in Opposition

Minister for Foreign Affairs - Margot Wallström (S)
Former Minister for Social Affairs, former European Commissioner
Minister for Trade - Anna Johansson (S)
Gothenburg Deputy Mayor
Minister for Foreign Aid - Urban Ahlin (S)
MP, Foreign Affairs Spokesperson

Minister for Justice - Morgan Johansson (S)
MP, Former Minister for Public Health
Minister for Migration Affairs - Ardalan Shekarabi (S)
MP, former Youth League Chair

Minister for Defense - Peter Hultqvist (S)
MP, Chairman of the Defense Committee, former Executive Chair of Borlänge

Minister for Commerce - Mikael Damberg (S)
MP, Social Democratic Parliamentary Group Leader

Minister for Education - Gustav Fridolin (MP)
MP, Green Party Spokesperson
Minister for Schools - Ibrahim Baylan (S)
MP, Former Minister for Schools, Deputy Chairman of the Education Committee

Minister for Equality - Gudrun Schyman (FI)
Party Spokesperson, former leader of the Left Party
Minister for Democracy and Anti-Racism - Victoria Kawesa (FI)
Researcher

Minister for Rural and Regional Affairs - Matilda Ernkrans (S)
MP, Chairwoman of the Environment and Agriculture Committee

Minister for the Environment - Åsa Romson (MP)
MP, Green Party Spokesperson

Minister for Infrastructure - Carin Jämtin (S)
Party Secretary, former Minister for Foreign Aid, former Stockholm Minority Leader
Minister for Housing - Veronica Palm (S)
MP, Deputy Chairman of the Civil Affairs Committee

Minister for Social Affairs - Helene Öberg (MP)
Stockholm Region Commissioner in Opposition
Minister for Health Care and Public Health - Lena Hallengren (S)
MP, Former Deputy Minister for Education, Deputy Chairman of the Social Affairs Committee
Minister for Social Security - Gunvor G. Ericson (MP)
MP, Spokesperson for Social Security, Deputy Parliamentary Group Leader, former Södermanland Region Commissioner

Minister for Employment - Ylva Johansson (S)
MP, former Minister for Employment

Minister for Culture - Anders Wallner (MP)
Party Secretary

23 ministers, 10 men and 13 women, 15 Social Democrats, 6 Greens, 2 Feminists. 2 with foreign background, 3 LGBT.

Decided against a Feminist Minister for Culture and chickened out by making up a deputy ministry for Schyman which is useful for having more than 1 non-white cabinet member.
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #342 on: June 06, 2014, 08:23:36 AM »

Not a bad proposal, there are a few things I'm uncertain about though. 

I doubt SAP would agree to give the Greens that much power in the Social Affairs Ministry. I'd put Carin Jämtin on Minister of Social Affairs, and make Karin Svensson Smith Minister of Energy & Infrastructure. (That's more of the Greens' area anyway)

And I think your guess for FI on the culture portfolio was better. Having a minister of anti-racism just feels off. I can't help but to think that SD would gain every time the  title showed up on television. I'd find another post for Wallner instead. Minister of Cuteness and Good Looks or whatever.   

Tayya
Sweden

« Reply #343 on: June 06, 2014, 08:37:20 AM »

Not a bad proposal, there are a few things I'm uncertain about though. 

I doubt SAP would agree to give the Greens that much power in the Social Affairs Ministry. I'd put Carin Jämtin on Minister of Social Affairs, and make Karin Svensson Smith Minister of Energy & Infrastructure. (That's more of the Greens' area anyway)

And I think your guess for FI on the culture portfolio was better. Having a minister of anti-racism just feels off. I can't help but to think that SD would gain every time the  title showed up on television. I'd find another post for Wallner instead. Minister of Cuteness and Good Looks or whatever.   

You're probably right on Social Affairs, but it's an area where the Greens have a surprisingly large bench, unlike others where it's rather thin. Jämtin at Social Affairs would work, as would Employment with Ylva Johansson moving to Social Affairs. I considered Infrastructure for the Greens but the Social Democrats might not be very happy about it, especially not with a motorway west of Stockholm for 25 billion kronor on the line.

"Anti-Racism" was perhaps not the best idea, but basically what the Centre Party did after the 2010 elections when they were in-between 3 and 4 cabinet posts - cutting off IT and Regional Affairs into Anna-Karin Hatt's cabinet post, leaving the Centre Party with one more minister but no other actual areas of influence.
DL
Canada

« Reply #344 on: June 06, 2014, 10:44:49 AM »

What exactly is the rationale for the FI party? I was under the impression that Sweden was already just about the most egalitarian country in the world when it comes to women's rights and that all the legislative battles on behalf of women's equality were won long ago. Are there ANY issues where the Social Democrats or the Greens or the Left Party are regarded as 'anti-women" (for that matter are there any issues where the even the Moderaterna are considered not to be pro-female enough?)...or is this party just a personality cult around a leader?
Tayya
Sweden

« Reply #345 on: June 06, 2014, 11:21:43 AM »

What exactly is the rationale for the FI party? I was under the impression that Sweden was already just about the most egalitarian country in the world when it comes to women's rights and that all the legislative battles on behalf of women's equality were won long ago. Are there ANY issues where the Social Democrats or the Greens or the Left Party are regarded as 'anti-women" (for that matter are there any issues where the even the Moderaterna are considered not to be pro-female enough?)...or is this party just a personality cult around a leader?

It's partly a personality cult insofar that it wouldn't be any higher than 0.5% without Schyman, but it's also a vehicle for formerly non-partisan radical middle class people who found the Greens too milque-toast and who the Left failed to bring along. The Left Party just got rid of a impopular leader in Lars Ohly in 2012 - he still identified as a Communist in 2005, and only stopped after he was hit on this by journalists - and then decided to focus solely on ending private profits in the welfare industries, while the Feminist Initiative charged forward on postmodern issues such as fervent opposition to the Sweden Democrats and, of course, feminism. It's not really about the party, at least not only - voting FI is making a statement.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix

« Reply #346 on: June 06, 2014, 11:23:49 AM »
« Edited: June 06, 2014, 11:32:59 AM by eric82oslo »

M - 18,5%
C - 5,3%
FP - 5,7%
KD - 4,8%

S - 29,1%
V - 8,1%
MP - 13,0%

SD - 10,0%
FI - 4,4%    

I'm starting to really enjoy Swedish politics lately. Tongue I can hardly believe that the ultra left parties (V+FI+MP) together have an amazing 25.5% - in comparison Norway's 3 ultra left parties (SV+Rødt+MDG) only obtained about 8% in our 2013 parliamentary election. You have more than three times the number of left voters than we do! Tongue

In comparison, in Norway, the standing between the different parties has hardly changed for the past 8 or 10 years. Except with Miljøpartiet De Grønne starting to get some attention and Sosialistisk Venstreparti doing worse than ever and nearly falling out of the parliament altogether. At least now Jens is out, which makes everything a little bit more exciting and Frp in government has so far been a drag on them - they have hardly done worse since the 90ies I think, hovering around "just" 11-12% lately.
Lurker
Norway
« Reply #347 on: June 06, 2014, 11:33:43 AM »

M - 18,5%
C - 5,3%
FP - 5,7%
KD - 4,8%

S - 29,1%
V - 8,1%
MP - 13,0%

SD - 10,0%
FI - 4,4%  

The trends from the EP election seems to show up here. The Moderates are doing terribly, C and KD sllightly gaining to above 4%. Sweden Democrats, the Greens, and Feminists are doing strong. The Social Democrats surprisingly weak.

This must be the biggest lead for the left during this parliament?

"Left bloc" - 54,6% (including the feminist party)

"Right bloc" - 34,3%

Sweden Democrats - 10%
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #348 on: June 06, 2014, 12:07:22 PM »

I don't think you can really call the Swedish Greens 'ultra left'.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix

« Reply #349 on: June 06, 2014, 12:15:09 PM »
« Edited: June 06, 2014, 12:16:50 PM by eric82oslo »

I don't think you can really call the Swedish Greens 'ultra left'.

Well, it's ultra left on environment at least. Tongue

And in Norway, a prominent member, former minister of the Socialist Left Party has actually proposed to merge his party with The Green Party. Tongue
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 29  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies