Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 27, 2014, 06:58:49 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Election Archive
| |-+  2008 Elections
| | |-+  Minn.'s Gov. Pawlenty creating 2008 GOP buzz.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Minn.'s Gov. Pawlenty creating 2008 GOP buzz.  (Read 2209 times)
nick
nickshepDEM
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

View Profile
« on: March 15, 2005, 12:14:16 am »
Ignore

Although Pawlenty's national name recognition "probably doesn't exceed" 5 percent," the Minneapolis Star-Tribune said recent conversations among national GOP leaders include him alongside former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani; U.S. Sen.John McCain, R-Ariz.;; former House Speaker Newt Gingrich; and other first tier potential candidates for the Republican nomination.

"Of the guys in the top 12 for '08, (Pawlenty's) right up there," said conservative leader Grover Norquist, president of Americans for Tax Reform.

http://www.newkerala.com/news-daily/news/features.php?action=fullnews&id=85769
incredibly specific types of post-punk music
BRTD
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2005, 12:15:06 am »
Ignore

Hopefully we'll just get rid of him next year. What a dipsh**t.

01/05/2004-01/10/2014
nick
nickshepDEM
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2005, 12:17:23 am »
Ignore

Is he really that bad?
BRTD
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2005, 12:21:40 am »
Ignore

Is he really that bad?

he's a stupid jerkoff who's owned by far right groups like the Minnesota Taxpayers Leage and thinks it's more imporant to ban gay marriage than fix the state's budget problems.

01/05/2004-01/10/2014
BRTD
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2005, 12:24:16 am »
Ignore

I just made a map of Pawlenty's victory in 2002, but I can't post it. Sad  It surprised me how well Penny (Jesse Ventura's candidate) did- he carried a sizable batch of counties in the southeast and ran second in a number of others.

As to the topic at hand, Pawlenty is a complete joke. He won't get nominated. He won't even be a possible VP.

Dave already has one up:

Penny did so wel lbecause the Indpeendnece Party is pretty big here (or was at the time, they've been collapsing lately) and he was a former congressman from the district I live in and very popular. I still voted for the Democrat though, but all those counties he won or came in second in are because they were in his old seat.

He probably cost the Democrat the election though, going by the figures compared to the Senate race then and the Gore/Kerry numbers I'd guess his voters would've broke 2:1 for Moe without him.

For the record, I live in that big very light blue county on the upper left corner of the green, right at the nexus with the upside down triangle county (which is where I work) and the one to the right of it. Even though Pawlenty won the county with Moe coming in third and Penny in second, Pawlenty came in 3rd in my precinct with Moe winning it. We have much more sense than the rest of the county. Smiley
« Last Edit: March 15, 2005, 12:27:06 am by Nation of Ulysses »Logged

01/05/2004-01/10/2014
Rob
Bob
YaBB God
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2005, 12:29:08 am »
Ignore

Where does Dave have the state election maps? Huh I don't see any. I'm guessing it's only for paying members?

Here’s what Sarah Palin represents: being a fat fucking pig who pins “Country First” buttons on his man titties and chants “U-S-A! U-S-A!” at the top of his lungs while his kids live off credit cards and Saudis buy up all the mortgages in Kansas.
BRTD
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2005, 12:35:50 am »
Ignore

Nope, just look on the front page at the bottom. Gubernatorial results here: http://uselectionatlas.org/GOVERNOR/frametextj.html

01/05/2004-01/10/2014
Rob
Bob
YaBB God
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2005, 12:37:24 am »
Ignore

I had no idea. Thanks for telling me Smiley

Here’s what Sarah Palin represents: being a fat fucking pig who pins “Country First” buttons on his man titties and chants “U-S-A! U-S-A!” at the top of his lungs while his kids live off credit cards and Saudis buy up all the mortgages in Kansas.
WalterMitty
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2005, 09:20:33 am »
Ignore

my opinion of pawlenty went way down when he proposed to ban candy flavored cigarettes.

I just slept for 11 hours, so I should need a nap today
I'm not going to waste 2 hours of my night just to walk for 20 minutes.
BRTD
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2005, 12:10:31 pm »
Ignore

You should've already been pissed at him when he tried to reinstate the death penalty.

01/05/2004-01/10/2014
WalterMitty
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2005, 12:34:23 pm »
Ignore

You should've already been pissed at him when he tried to reinstate the death penalty.

of course i strongly disagree with the death penalty.  but at least death penalty supporters can make a solid case for its usage (though i disagree with them).

banning flavored cigarettes makes no sense.  adults should be able to purchase those kinds of cigarettes if they so choose.

I just slept for 11 hours, so I should need a nap today
I'm not going to waste 2 hours of my night just to walk for 20 minutes.
jacob_101
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2005, 02:13:40 pm »
Ignore

Well, I for one am very happy with Gov. Pawlenty.  There was already a huge deficit when he took office and he has been bringing it down by contolling state spending and increasing fees.  I am not sure i agree with him on the candy cigarette issue, but I know that marketing cigarettes to kids is not a good idea especially since you won't be able to smoke anywhere in the state soon : ) 

I predict Pawlenty will win re-election with about 53% of the vote and then will be in good shape if he wanted to run for President.

ian
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -1.39

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2005, 02:45:49 pm »
Ignore

What are his approval ratings.

WHY I'M A DEMOCRAT:
"People who wear Christ on their sleeves and vote against helping people are the biggest hypocrites." - Charlie Melancon, in response to the voting down of the Melancon Amendment to raise levee funding.

For my positions on political issues go to:
http://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=18844.msg405414#msg405414

Registered in Mississippi for fantasy politics.  RL resident of Arkansas.  Kentucky avatar for my fav state!
A18
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2005, 03:00:43 pm »
Ignore

my opinion of pawlenty went way down when he proposed to ban candy flavored cigarettes.

Ditto. However, I'd still vote for him over a Democratic opponent in 2006 if I lived in Minnesota.
No more McShame
FuturePrez R-AZ
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2005, 04:26:23 pm »
Ignore

I voted for him in 2002.  And probably would have voted for him in 2006 again if I remained in MN, but I can think of several in the GOP that I would rather see win the nomination.

Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: 7.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.31

My political view's summarized
No more McShame
FuturePrez R-AZ
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2005, 04:38:13 pm »
Ignore

Penny did so wel lbecause the Indpeendnece Party is pretty big here (or was at the time, they've been collapsing lately) and he was a former congressman from the district I live in and very popular. I still voted for the Democrat though, but all those counties he won or came in second in are because they were in his old seat.

He probably cost the Democrat the election though, going by the figures compared to the Senate race then and the Gore/Kerry numbers I'd guess his voters would've broke 2:1 for Moe without him.

For the record, I live in that big very light blue county on the upper left corner of the green, right at the nexus with the upside down triangle county (which is where I work) and the one to the right of it. Even though Pawlenty won the county with Moe coming in third and Penny in second, Pawlenty came in 3rd in my precinct with Moe winning it. We have much more sense than the rest of the county. Smiley

Mankato?  I don't know if I agree with your analysis that Moe would have won.  Most of the people in those SE counties are conservatives that would vote for a Dem like Penny but not for one like Moe.  Don't think the 2-1 analysis would work in that situation.

Political Compass

BRTD
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2005, 10:37:44 pm »
Ignore

Mankato?  I don't know if I agree with your analysis that Moe would have won.  Most of the people in those SE counties are conservatives that would vote for a Dem like Penny but not for one like Moe.  Don't think the 2-1 analysis would work in that situation.

Yes, I live in Mankato.

Look at Rice county:

Mondale 52.21%
Coleman 44.59%

Luther 54.64%
Kline 42.12%

Pawlenty 37.62%
Moe 33.78%
Penny 24.34%

and go look at the results for Gore and Kerry there.

And of course there's also the fact that Pawlenty did win Mankato, and in 2 way races Republicans simply don't win here.

01/05/2004-01/10/2014
No more McShame
FuturePrez R-AZ
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2005, 01:37:41 am »
Ignore

Still only one county.  Who knows, maybe Moe would have won, I just don't buy this Penny vote breaking 2 to 1 for Moe.  A lot of those people would have stayed home in the off-year and a lot of them may have voted for Pawlenty.

Political Compass

ArthurBranch
mpirner

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: 6.78

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2005, 09:06:42 pm »
Ignore

I dont think Pawlenty can win, although his name does interest me some.  I think Jeb is our only real realistic shot at winning and beating Hillary.
PBrunsel
YaBB God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2005, 09:49:26 pm »
Ignore

I hope Pawlenty gets reelected. I think he's a fine Governor.

"I know that the Lord is always on the side of the right. But it is my constant anxiety and prayer that I and this nation should be on the Lord's side."
-President Abraham Lincoln, December 1862
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout