If you could pick the Republican nominee in 2016
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:25:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  If you could pick the Republican nominee in 2016
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If you could pick the Republican nominee in 2016  (Read 1131 times)
Bureaucat
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 26, 2013, 01:30:17 PM »
« edited: December 26, 2013, 01:46:24 PM by Bureaucat »

Who would it be and more importantly, what is your path to 270 electoral votes?  Do you stay with the old strategy of taking Colorado, Florida, North Carolina, Ohio and Virginia and then hope that one additional state won gets you to 270 or do you have a plan of going after the Midwest industrial belt and Pennsylvania? Also, do you have a backup plan in case one or more of the aforementioned states stay blue (or on this site, red)

No flame intended, but I'm curious what strategies some of our GOP brethren advocate.

My mistake, this shouldn't be on the 2016 poll board. 2nd time I've made that same error.
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 02:43:22 PM »

I would choose Cathy McMorris Rodgers, Congresswoman from Washington.  I think she's the best woman the Republicans have.  I would focus heavily on Ohio of all the states because a Republican cannot be elected without it.  I would just run a high-minded, common sense-based campaign talking about bread and butter issues from a conservative perspective.  I wouldn't try and pander to anybody.  Most of all would be to be very accessible to the media - willing to do any interviews and also appear on talk shows.  Make pro-life platform key to my general election campaign and do it in a way that elevates the cause.  I would nominate a well-respected moderate senior statesman as Vice President - perhaps former Senator John Warner of Virginia.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2013, 05:19:37 PM »

The ideal R strategy is to seek the inverse of the Obama strategy -- consolidate those states that Republican nominees must win and then force the Democrats to defend others (like IA, MI, PA, NV, NH, NM, and WI)

The point: to make the Democratic chance of winning a long-shot that forces recklessness that makes a loss certain.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013, 09:38:36 PM »

I would choose Donald Trump and have him focus on New York and California.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 10:10:04 AM »

I would pick John Kasich of Ohio, provided he is re-elected and have him run on a platform of education, entitlement and tax reform, with a constant effort to connect the policy back to the kitchen table. I would make him accessible yes, but I would also prefer controlled and effective exposure as opposed to throwing him out a bazillion times and risking a gaffe. If someone says something stupid, they are to be condemned instantly and with force. The debates, the Prez and VP acceptance speeches well as the keynote speech at the convention would be carefully organized to highlight the candidate's qualifications, policies, or contrasting with the opponent.

I would go for either McMorris-Rodgers or Marsha Blackburn for VP. Send her out for just two interviews with considerable Romney-1st Debate style prepping if necessary, before having her give a solid VP acceptance speech at the convention. 

Ohio would be the launching pad obviously. Either way you go, leads to a swing state or potentially competative state.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 11:02:11 AM »

Bloomberg.

ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2013, 11:11:55 AM »

Paul/Amash.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2013, 05:14:26 PM »

Christie/Hoeven or Huntsman/Capito would be the best Republican tickets for 2016 in my opinion.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2013, 05:52:55 PM »

At the moment, I'd guess a Christie/ Martinez ticket would be the best, but I would want both to run in the primary, as a way to ensure they're ready for prime time.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2013, 05:58:28 PM »

Although the ticket is unlikely, I would be willing to vote for Paul/Huntsman if the Democratic nominee is terrible enough. But since that's an unlikely ticket, Paul and any Repub. VP who I don't have a big problem with.

If we're still in Afghanistan by then as the pact suggests, I could see Rand Paul running on an anti-war, evacuation campaign which could definitely appeal to the voters who will be sick and tired of the war by then. He would be a much bigger serious threat than other Democrats want to believe.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2013, 11:41:52 PM »

Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2013, 04:49:34 AM »

As a Democrat, I'd go with either Alan Simpson or Steve Stockman. If Simpson were the nominee of a major party, there's at least a significant chance he would win, despite age and potential issues with the base. But having someone so moderate, so generally respected, and possibly not focused on re-election, might make for a nice change of pace. For Stockman, I think nominating someone like him would discredit the GOP for not just that cycle but possibly for a few cycles.

If I were a Republican trying to win, I think I'd go with Rubio. He's not a perfect politician, but he isn't that bad, and I think he has found a nice middle ground between not always going along with the far right and not being totally unacceptable either. He's also from Florida, which I do think could add a point or two to his total there (despite, iirc, unexceptional approval ratings).  More importantly, he's Hispanic, and I tend to think that whichever party is the first to nominate an Hispanic politician will get a boost from the Hispanic vote in that election cycle. I'd also consider Sandoval if he "evolves" on abortion. Kasich or Portman would make for a nice running mate. I think this would make for a good ticket to go after the obvious swing states, the Southwest, and the Rust Belt.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2013, 01:46:27 AM »

I'd pick Robert Kelleher's corpse.
Liberalrocks
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2013, 03:09:12 PM »

Sarah Palin, easiest democratic win.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2014, 09:51:37 PM »

Rand Paul. Ideally, I'd combine Gary Johnson, Pat Buchanan, and Ron Paul into John Thunes body with Chris Christies electoral history.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2014, 05:31:44 PM »

Scott Walker, put time into Pennsylvania and New Hampshire from the get go and have John Thune as VP, both from the Midwest, if Hillary isn't the D nominee. If she is, then have Susana Martinez as the running mate.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2014, 06:52:42 PM »

If Republicans want to win then I'd pick Brian Sandoval/Susana Martinez it's shocking their names aren't even in consideration for 2016. Their perfect young, Latino, moderate, popular in blue states I don't even see Clinton topping this ticket.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2014, 06:55:44 PM »

If Republicans want to win then I'd pick Brian Sandoval/Susana Martinez it's shocking their names aren't even in consideration for 2016. Their perfect young, Latino, moderate, popular in blue states I don't even see Clinton topping this ticket.

I don't think it helps that they're pro-choice (Sandoval definitely is).

Still it's only 2014 they could just be biding their time for all we know.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2014, 07:00:47 PM »

Of course and that's why this is only a fantasy realistically they'll never be at the top of the ticket but Sandoval being pro-choice would dismantle the War on Women rhetoric and make it easier for Republicans to win.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2014, 07:02:34 PM »
« Edited: January 03, 2014, 07:06:52 PM by outofbox6 »

Of course and that's why this is only a fantasy realistically they'll never be at the top of the ticket but Sandoval being pro-choice would dismantle the War on Women rhetoric and make it easier for Republicans to win.
Considering that polls recently say more people are now pro life, and the need to attract Hispanics, he would probably change positions, but I get where you are going at. It would help in the Northeast for sure.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies