If you could pick the Republican nominee in 2016 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:06:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  If you could pick the Republican nominee in 2016 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If you could pick the Republican nominee in 2016  (Read 1174 times)
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: December 29, 2013, 04:49:34 AM »

As a Democrat, I'd go with either Alan Simpson or Steve Stockman. If Simpson were the nominee of a major party, there's at least a significant chance he would win, despite age and potential issues with the base. But having someone so moderate, so generally respected, and possibly not focused on re-election, might make for a nice change of pace. For Stockman, I think nominating someone like him would discredit the GOP for not just that cycle but possibly for a few cycles.

If I were a Republican trying to win, I think I'd go with Rubio. He's not a perfect politician, but he isn't that bad, and I think he has found a nice middle ground between not always going along with the far right and not being totally unacceptable either. He's also from Florida, which I do think could add a point or two to his total there (despite, iirc, unexceptional approval ratings).  More importantly, he's Hispanic, and I tend to think that whichever party is the first to nominate an Hispanic politician will get a boost from the Hispanic vote in that election cycle. I'd also consider Sandoval if he "evolves" on abortion. Kasich or Portman would make for a nice running mate. I think this would make for a good ticket to go after the obvious swing states, the Southwest, and the Rust Belt.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies