SENATE BILL: Pacific Emergency Stimulus (Law'd)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:52:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Pacific Emergency Stimulus (Law'd)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Pacific Emergency Stimulus (Law'd)  (Read 6368 times)
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: January 23, 2014, 10:01:36 PM »

I figure that such a clause allows the administration and the Senate a bit more of a hand, but it's not necessary.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #176 on: January 23, 2014, 10:03:35 PM »

I'd favor that clause. Otherwise we risk the committee stalling and never achieving anything.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #177 on: January 23, 2014, 10:09:23 PM »

I figure that such a clause allows the administration and the Senate a bit more of a hand, but it's not necessary.

And as such it is very, very unconstitutional and I would strongly consider a legal challenge to it.
GAworth
United States

« Reply #178 on: January 23, 2014, 10:14:06 PM »

I mean I understand why it is there, I just am not a fan of the idea. Honestly, I have never been a fan of the manager from the start. I also agree with Tyrion, that this position having veto power could raise legal qquestions. However, I serve at the pleasure of the President and a mere spectator of the Senate, I just wanted to raise my opinion, however, if it goes through, then I will accept it.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #179 on: January 23, 2014, 10:25:09 PM »

I should have prefaced my statement by saying that in the previous two administrations for which I worked there was some concern for the law. But, things change.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #180 on: January 23, 2014, 10:48:18 PM »

And as such it is very, very unconstitutional and I would strongly consider a legal challenge to it.

How would it be unconstitutional?
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #181 on: January 23, 2014, 10:54:36 PM »

How would it be unconstitutional?

I'm not going to lay out a case beforehand because it certainly is headed in that direction, but none of this is constitutional. You can't brush aside a regional legislature because they are in a "crisis" and just enact whatever you want. Suspending the council was not constitutional, and the more I think about the more I think it might be getting time to get my ducks in a row for a case.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #182 on: January 23, 2014, 10:55:53 PM »

It's not inconstitutional. The senate has the power to issue mandates, funded or unfunded, as it pleases. If the regions decides to do something (like pass a bill buying everyone iPads), then it is within the federal governments constitutional right to withhold money.

It would have to be coersive in nature for this to be unconstitutional, and it's not in the slightest. They may either follow the orders of the senate to secure the stimulus or chose not to and receive no money.

I declared this state of emergency because of the condition of the region. I'll declare it over when we pass this bill. If someone disagrees with it, I am all ears to listen to what we should do differently, but so far, no alternatives have been proposed besides just selling the pacific off to the Midwest.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #183 on: January 23, 2014, 10:58:12 PM »

It would have to be coersive in nature for this to be unconstitutional, and it's not in the slightest. They may either follow the orders of the senate to secure the stimulus or chose not to and receive no money.

Suspending the council was not constitutional. And as to this, that's fine. We'll wait and see how reasonable or unreasonable your demands are.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #184 on: January 23, 2014, 11:00:06 PM »

Suspending the council was not constitutional. And as to this, that's fine. We'll wait and see how reasonable or unreasonable your demands are.

Respectfully Mr. Speaker you're missing an important (crucial) caveat here - the Council was, yes, (very) temporarily suspended, but could "unsuspend" itself at will by convening to end the state of emergency, which would instantly repeal all actions taken by my office and revert things to its previous state.

Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #185 on: January 23, 2014, 11:01:05 PM »

The demands are outlined in this bill for the first $50 billion. The rest will be up to your council. Oakvale will serve as oversight following the passage of this bill, but as long as you all avoid passing ludicrous bills, I'm sure there will be no problems. We are all trying to help the Pacific here. The last thing any of us want to see are lawsuits being filed.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #186 on: January 23, 2014, 11:03:44 PM »

The demands are outlined in this bill for the first $50 billion. The rest will be up to your council. Oakvale will serve as oversight following the passage of this bill, but as long as you all avoid passing ludicrous bills, I'm sure there will be no problems. We are all trying to help the Pacific here. The last thing any of us want to see are lawsuits being filed.

This too. The Pacfiic's clearly on the road to recovery (a whole 3% drop in unemployment in one month is impressive and heartening) and I've voluntarily given up all the powers the regional judiciary granted my office - my suggestion would be that legal action would send a terrible message.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #187 on: January 24, 2014, 04:50:03 AM »

The amendment has been adopted.

We finally finished here perhaps?
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #188 on: January 24, 2014, 05:32:05 AM »

Yeah, I'm ready.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #189 on: January 25, 2014, 07:35:20 AM »

Senators, this bill is now at final vote, Senators please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #190 on: January 25, 2014, 10:02:54 AM »

Aye
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #191 on: January 25, 2014, 10:37:03 AM »

Aye
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #192 on: January 25, 2014, 11:04:03 AM »

Nay
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #193 on: January 25, 2014, 11:15:36 AM »

Aye
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #194 on: January 25, 2014, 01:17:04 PM »

aye
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #195 on: January 25, 2014, 04:39:13 PM »

Forward and onward! Let's safe the Pacific!
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #196 on: January 25, 2014, 07:02:44 PM »

Aye
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #197 on: January 25, 2014, 07:05:54 PM »

I encourage those who can to reconsider. Throwing money at this problem WILL NOT fix it, and economic conservatives - if anyone - should see that!!
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #198 on: January 25, 2014, 07:10:09 PM »
« Edited: January 25, 2014, 07:14:27 PM by Oakvale »

I encourage those who can to reconsider. Throwing money at this problem WILL NOT fix it, and economic conservatives - if anyone - should see that!!

I thought the whole purpose of this committee arrangement is to make sure we're not simply throwing money at the problem. Unemployment's finally on the way down, and the worse thing the government could do now is cut off assistance.

I know you favour Tyrion's Midwest/Pacific union plan, which may be a solution, but that's quite separate from this stimulus effort.

Regardless, I hope this difference of opinion won't affect our working relationship - the Pacific needs all the active people it can get right now.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #199 on: January 25, 2014, 07:18:48 PM »

I thought the whole purpose of this committee arrangement is to make sure we're not simply throwing money at the problem. Unemployment's finally on the way down, and the worse thing the government could do now is cut off assistance.

I know you favour Tyrion's Midwest/Pacific union plan, which may be a solution, but that's quite separate from this stimulus effort.

Regardless, I hope this difference of opinion won't affect our working relationship - the Pacific needs all the active people it can get right now.

No, as I've said, you've done a great job and have been very understanding.

My position is a result of having been in the trenches. If we're to be given money I say put it in storage until we have the activity level to sustain the region. This is ultimately about the region, and the merger plan, to me, is the best way to address the problem short and long term.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies