Israel refuses to honor Christian Israelis' beliefs and put tree in Knesset
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 12:14:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israel refuses to honor Christian Israelis' beliefs and put tree in Knesset
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Israel refuses to honor Christian Israelis' beliefs and put tree in Knesset  (Read 1987 times)
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 26, 2013, 08:31:08 PM »

Israel is refusing to acknowledge the fact that a sizable number of its citizens celebrate Christmas and has denied a request by a Christian member of the Knesset to place a tree in the legislative buiding for the holiday season.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

For some context, roughly 2% of Israelis identify as Christian. Roughly 2% of Americans identify as Jewish. If the United States can bother to erect a giant menorah on the National Mall for Hanukkah, surely the Israeli Knesset can be bothered to stick a tree somewhere for Christmas.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 08:39:11 PM »

If Hana Sweid the Christian-Arab MP of Hadash was Hannah Steinberg the (convert) Christian MP of Likud they probably wouldn't refuse to put up the tree...
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2013, 08:39:13 PM »

I've called this an anti-Christian country many times and it keeps proving that.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013, 08:45:51 PM »

Ok. Can Boynton City Hall take down the menorah, since Hanukah was a month ago?
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2013, 09:05:28 PM »

Ok. Can Boynton City Hall take down the menorah, since Hanukah was a month ago?

Considering most Goyim simply regard Hanukkah as "Jewish Christmas" it doesn't surprise me when Hanukkah displays remain up until the Christmas stuff is taken down as well.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2013, 09:49:04 PM »

At least they aren't jailing and executing Christians like their neighbors (though TBF some of the far-right ultra-Orthodox nutcases wouldn't oppose doing so).
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2013, 10:05:22 PM »

At least they aren't jailing and executing Christians like their neighbors (though TBF some of the far-right ultra-Orthodox nutcases wouldn't oppose doing so).

Every time Israel does something untoward like this, the kneejerk response from some people is, "Well, the other Middle Eastern countries would be doing even worse things if XYZ was happening in their country!" But if we're going to privilege Israel above its neighbors, on the grounds that it is a democracy or more "civilized" or whatever, Israel needs to be held to a higher standard than Syria or Egypt or Saudi Arabia. If they want to continue to be given special treatment by us, they need to conduct themselves in ways that make special treatment deserved.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2013, 10:26:10 PM »

Hannah Steinberg the (convert) Christian MP of Likud

I find it very unlikely that such a person would exist.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2013, 11:34:08 PM »

Yeah, that's basically unfathomable. A good chunk of Likud probably would LITERALLY support killing any Jewish converts to Christianity.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2013, 12:27:21 AM »

But if we're going to privilege Israel above its neighbors, on the grounds that it is a democracy or more "civilized" or whatever, Israel needs to be held to a higher standard than Syria or Egypt or Saudi Arabia.

I don't think Israel should be given "special treatment", and I wouldn't consider myself "pro-Israel", at least in the American sense of the term. But holding them to a higher standard is problematic. Are the leaders of Qatar and Saudi Arabia like animals that just don't know any better? Human rights abuse is human rights abuse whether it's done by Jerusalem or Riyadh or Tehran or Washington. Suggesting that one government should be held to a higher standard for upholding human rights than another is absurd and a deliberate attempt to obfuscate the fact that Israel, for all its problems, has a better human rights situation than any other country in the region.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2013, 12:48:51 AM »

both sides of this argument are terrible

why is this an issue

True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2013, 02:17:03 AM »

both sides of this argument are terrible

why is this an issue

Because with all the wars in the Middle East, why not fight the War on Christmas there as well?
danny
Israel

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2013, 02:44:53 AM »

Israel is a Jewish state, that's the basis for its existence, and this isn't something anti-christian in particular. The US has its own laws and ways of doing things that have nothing to do with Israel. Israel doesn't need to change itself just to fit in with the way it is done in the US.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2013, 04:20:57 AM »

Israel is a Jewish state, that's the basis for its existence, and this isn't something anti-christian in particular. The US has its own laws and ways of doing things that have nothing to do with Israel. Israel doesn't need to change itself just to fit in with the way it is done in the US.

Well, don't be surprised if the "Christian" states are stopping to support you, at a point.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2013, 06:21:00 AM »

How ironic is that the person who rejected this request is the religious speaker of the house Edelstein born Christian? heck his father is still an orthodox priest! btw this is not state policy it's more of this speaker's (who by my account is a nut-job) policy.

Now a more formal reply, Israel respects different religious beliefs (well de jure at least) and all Christians have a bank holiday during their holidays and such. I wouldn't compare this to the US as American is a country of more universal political nationality compared to a religious\ethnic\ethnic-religious (depends on who you're asking) nationality state like Israel. Hence within this political framework it is still reasonable to withhold this request. On the personal note I think he's a tool and should have done so (like my home city of Haifa did) on a more human and pluralist notion of his role as speaker of a parliament which represents everyone regardless.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2013, 09:21:16 AM »

Well, don't be surprised if the "Christian" states are stopping to support you, at a point.

The irony of virtually any "Christian" nation causing trouble for Israel because we're not friendly enough to Christians would be brilliant.

Why do you think the Jews felt they needed a state in the first place?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2013, 10:39:04 AM »

True - but for the sake of argument, my point is that
You must be logged in to read this quote.
It's more the latter descriptor than the former that's the problem.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2013, 11:57:15 AM »

Christmas trees aren't "Christian"... they're a pagan import to the festival and specifically originate in Germany.

Also, Christians have done many a nasty thing to Jews over the years.
Zanas
Zanas46
France

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2013, 12:00:04 PM »

The obvious answer is of course the above poster's. The "Christmas tree" is not even Christian to begin with, and I don't see why there should be one inside a Parliament house, in Israel or the US or Germany or France or whatever. Do what you like at home, at church, not in branches of government. Let's be serious.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2013, 02:41:08 PM »

Israel never pledged to abide by US standards of separation of Church and State, and I don't believe that's any sort of human rights issue.

There's near-total free exercise of religion in Israel, but Israel is a Jewish state.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2013, 09:41:45 PM »

Christmas trees aren't "Christian"... they're a pagan import to the festival and specifically originate in Germany.

Also, Christians have done many a nasty thing to Jews over the years.

Most Christians all over the world use Christmas trees to celebrate Christmas. They may not have originated as a Christian tradition but they are one now.

When have Christians done nasty things to Jews other than the Inquisition more than 500 years ago? Jews were discriminated against in Europe at other times but they were not being discriminated against from a Christian perspective; they were discriminated against because they were essentially foreigners. To this day, Israel expects all Jews all over the world to be loyal to their state, which kind of lends credence to the notion that you can't be truly American/British/French/etc if you're Jewish. The Holocaust was not conducted from a Christian standpoint; you can't blame Christianity for that. Furthermore, I'm pretty sure the Christians who live in Israel had nothing to do with any of the above historical events seeing as those happened in Europe.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2013, 09:50:46 PM »

When have Christians done nasty things to Jews other than the Inquisition more than 500 years ago? Jews were discriminated against in Europe at other times but they were not being discriminated against from a Christian perspective; they were discriminated against because they were essentially foreigners.

If you have any free time at some point, I'd encourage you to maybe try and open a book.

As for the thread topic, who gives a fuvk besides people looking for (and not finding) something to criticize about Israel?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2013, 10:22:00 PM »

When have Christians done nasty things to Jews other than the Inquisition more than 500 years ago? Jews were discriminated against in Europe at other times but they were not being discriminated against from a Christian perspective; they were discriminated against because they were essentially foreigners.

If you have any free time at some point, I'd encourage you to maybe try and open a book.
If you open a book, you will find "Christians" have indeed done nasty things to Jews, but the cause of the discrimination had nothing to do with the European Christians being Christian or the Jews being foreigners. The Holocaust was not a crime done unto Jews by Christians at all, for example.

As for the thread topic, who gives a fuvk besides people looking for (and not finding) something to criticize about Israel?
There are a lot of BS criticisms of Israel, and this is one of the more trivial ones for sure.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2013, 10:27:25 PM »

If you open a book, you will find "Christians" have indeed done nasty things to Jews, but the cause of the discrimination had nothing to do with the European Christians being Christian or the Jews being foreigners. The Holocaust was not a crime done unto Jews by Christians at all, for example.

There are a lot of BS criticisms of Israel, and this is one of the more trivial ones for sure.

There were a lot of Pogroms, particularly in Eastern Europe, that were motivated by religious fervor and actively egged on by the Roman Catholic Church. Blood libels were persistent and deadly for hundreds of years. The Holocaust had nothing really to do with Christianity and was more rooted in racist nationalism, but the anti-semitism that it drew on to create enthusiastic supporters definitely did have links to it.

And yeah, this really strikes me more as people being angry that Israel's sensibilities aren't exactly the same as the US'.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2013, 10:54:09 PM »

There were a lot of Pogroms, particularly in Eastern Europe, that were motivated by religious fervor and actively egged on by the Roman Catholic Church. Blood libels were persistent and deadly for hundreds of years. The Holocaust had nothing really to do with Christianity and was more rooted in racist nationalism, but the anti-semitism that it drew on to create enthusiastic supporters definitely did have links to it.

And yeah, this really strikes me more as people being angry that Israel's sensibilities aren't exactly the same as the US'.

Israel's sensibilities aren't the same as ours. They're closer to those of their neighbors. Which is why I don't quite understand the logic of those who view Israel as "special" and deserving of better treatment than its neighbors.

The fact is that 98% of Americans, were they living in Israel, would be regarded as second class citizens by virtue of not being Jewish.

You can't seem to give me a concrete example, as is the case when most people simply offer a vague exhortation to "open a book."

I'm well aware that you're an Israel Firster, Vosem, which is why I can't understand why your family came here to begin with. There are plenty of your kind in Israel - the Russians I mean - though I'm sorry to say they've by and large made it a much less civilized place than it was before they arrived.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies