What was your favorite #1 hit in 2013?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 04:16:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  What was your favorite #1 hit in 2013?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Poll
Question: Songs in chronological order
"Locked Out of Heaven" by Bruno Mars
"Thrift Shop" by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis featuring Wanz
"Harlem Shake" by Baauer
"When I Was Your Man" by Bruno Mars
"Just Give Me a Reason" by Pink featuring Nate Ruess
"Can't Hold Us" by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis featuring Ray Dalton
"Blurred Lines" by Robin Thicke featuring T.I. and Pharrell
"Roar" by Katy Perry
"Wrecking Ball" by Miley Cyrus
"Royals" by Lorde
"The Monster" by Eminem featuring Rihanna
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: What was your favorite #1 hit in 2013?  (Read 3015 times)
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2013, 06:59:35 PM »

Went downhill from last year. Thrift Shop and Royal are good. Bruno Mars, Can't Hold Us, Pink, and Roar are mediocre. The rest are just bad.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2013, 07:05:07 PM »

Thrift Shop, I guess.
Modernity has failed us
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2013, 07:13:04 PM »

Hate Blurred Lines completely... most Misogynist song I have ever heard... and thought we were in 2013.

Thank you

God, stop being such Liberals. I suppose you hate rap music for that reason too. Robin Thicke has three ways with Paula Patton. Have you f[inks]ing seen Paula Patton? That gives him a free pass to say what ever he wants in any song.

...except saying that he doesn't need a girl's consent in order to have sex with her. Could you imagine what that might do to a rape victim who just hears the song on the radio? "I know you want it, you're a good girl" is definitely not just a bubbly little lyric in a song, it's something that a rapist says. I don't care if it's Robin Thicke or Macklemore (whom I quite enjoy) or even Enter Shikari. Any band or artist that has lyrical content establishing sexual consent as an arbitrary boundary should be condemned.

And rap does have a problem with misogyny, yes. As does Grand Theft Auto 5 (which I just got for Christmas, and I'm appalled at how they just throw around the word 'rape' like it's just a slang word) But the thing about rap and GTA5 is that it's been a fight for years. Robin Thicke was never ever a misogynist, and all of the sudden he releases this song about not needing consent for sex. And I'm not excusing it in rap or GTA5, because it's wrong there too.

Robin Thicke doesn't need to be burned at the stake, he just needs to admit that the content to the song that has net him a f--kton of money is really, really awful.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2013, 09:01:41 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Oh, really? How do you know this? Have you asked them?
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2013, 09:03:09 PM »

Only on Tumblr, so there's that....
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2013, 09:03:49 PM »

Probably "Thrift Shop", but Macklemore is a tad too white for me.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2013, 09:04:04 PM »

Trigger warnings guys please
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2013, 09:06:03 PM »

^ Saw that on Tumblr. Applauded loudly.

My point exactly.
Modernity has failed us
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2013, 09:08:04 PM »

What does it matter where I saw it? Are you going to deny legitimacy of how a rape victim is triggered based on the fact that they have a Tumblr?
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2013, 09:10:25 PM »

What does it matter where I saw it? Are you going to deny legitimacy of how a rape victim is triggered based on the fact that they have a Tumblr?

No, but it's impossible to take you seriously.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2013, 09:18:45 PM »

Write-in: Russian Lullaby by the Jerry Garcia Band. Sure it was not a #1 in 2013-or any other year, but I listened to it a lot since I discovered it on Halloween.

Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2013, 09:56:46 PM »

pugbug
Rookie
Canada

« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2013, 10:41:28 PM »

Hate Blurred Lines completely... most Misogynist song I have ever heard... and thought we were in 2013.

Thank you

God, stop being such Liberals. I suppose you hate rap music for that reason too. Robin Thicke has three ways with Paula Patton. Have you f[inks]ing seen Paula Patton? That gives him a free pass to say what ever he wants in any song.

...except saying that he doesn't need a girl's consent in order to have sex with her. Could you imagine what that might do to a rape victim who just hears the song on the radio? "I know you want it, you're a good girl" is definitely not just a bubbly little lyric in a song, it's something that a rapist says. I don't care if it's Robin Thicke or Macklemore (whom I quite enjoy) or even Enter Shikari. Any band or artist that has lyrical content establishing sexual consent as an arbitrary boundary should be condemned.

And rap does have a problem with misogyny, yes. As does Grand Theft Auto 5 (which I just got for Christmas, and I'm appalled at how they just throw around the word 'rape' like it's just a slang word) But the thing about rap and GTA5 is that it's been a fight for years. Robin Thicke was never ever a misogynist, and all of the sudden he releases this song about not needing consent for sex. And I'm not excusing it in rap or GTA5, because it's wrong there too.

Robin Thicke doesn't need to be burned at the stake, he just needs to admit that the content to the song that has net him a f--kton of money is really, really awful.

I doubt Robin Thicke made that song as a rape anthem; judging by all of the lyrics, it's actually just about a "good girl" who is sexually repressed.

Also, even though "I know you want it" is a stereotypical rapist excuse, there are many songs that can trigger bad memories in a rape victim for any possible reason, but we can't demonize every artist whose song was heard while someone was being raped and thus triggered that person forever afterwards. It's up to the victim to accept any help and therapy they can get and become stronger and able to put up with any triggers they may face.

Now I hope this ends that debate. Wasn't this a music thread? Oh yes, I vote "Thrift Shop".
Franknburger
Germany

« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2013, 10:57:39 PM »

Usually, my wife and I present each other CDs for Christmas. This year, we agreed on books. When your 14yr old son starts downloading Glen Miller, and the family council (2 adults & 3 teen-agers), after scrolling through all available radio stations, first agrees on the Beatles, and then on a Johann-Sebastian Bach rondo, you know everything you need to know about this pop year...
Modernity has failed us
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2013, 11:56:10 PM »

No, but it's impossible to take you seriously.

So you're not denying my argument, just discrediting it? Okay.
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2013, 12:29:32 AM »

So cause of this whole tumblr thing y'all are going on about, let me tell you why I hate the song Blurred Lines.

My best friend was raped a few years ago, she never told anyone, she was ashamed and thought that it was her fault, that she triggered the attack and the rape. She was told to be quiet, the rapist told her that "You know you want it, what girl doesn't want to get laid?", she kept yelling for him to stop, but I guess telling someone "no" isn't a clear answer, they must want to have sex with you! In the song he refers to many things her attacker did to her, and the first time she heard the song in the radio, she had a panic attack and started crying uncontrollably, and I asked her what was wrong, and she explained what happened in 2011. Every time she hears the song she has a panic attack remembering what happened, and this song is the reason she has to be reminded of the traumatic event. I love her, she's like my sister, but this song has traumatized her and I don't know why someone would like a song after knowing her, and why it triggers these awful memories.

And she's not the only one, there are millions of women in the United States who have been raped and the song triggers awful memories, and this song is saying women want to have sex, that she really wants it, if she says no she really doesn't mean it, cause the word "no" is ambiguous, and I have nothing but hatred for this song and the terrible men who created it.
Modernity has failed us
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2013, 12:40:09 AM »

So cause of this whole tumblr thing y'all are going on about, let me tell you why I hate the song Blurred Lines.

My best friend was raped a few years ago, she never told anyone, she was ashamed and thought that it was her fault, that she triggered the attack and the rape. She was told to be quiet, the rapist told her that "You know you want it, what girl doesn't want to get laid?", she kept yelling for him to stop, but I guess telling someone "no" isn't a clear answer, they must want to have sex with you! In the song he refers to many things her attacker did to her, and the first time she heard the song in the radio, she had a panic attack and started crying uncontrollably, and I asked her what was wrong, and she explained what happened in 2011. Every time she hears the song she has a panic attack remembering what happened, and this song is the reason she has to be reminded of the traumatic event. I love her, she's like my sister, but this song has traumatized her and I don't know why someone would like a song after knowing her, and why it triggers these awful memories.

And she's not the only one, there are millions of women in the United States who have been raped and the song triggers awful memories, and this song is saying women want to have sex, that she really wants it, if she says no she really doesn't mean it, cause the word "no" is ambiguous, and I have nothing but hatred for this song and the terrible men who created it.

I'm terribly sorry to hear about what happened to your friend, and she is incredibly strong for persevering through what happened to her.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2013, 02:14:48 AM »

You have missed nothing.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2013, 02:36:59 AM »

My favorite cds of the year:

Bob Mould--Silver Age
Savages--Silence Yourself
Jason Isbell--Southeastern
North Mississippi All Stars--World Boogie Is Coming
Barrence Whitfield--Dig Thy Savage Soul

Arcade Fire--Reflektor grew on me, still too long.
Haim was a fun guilty pleasure.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2013, 04:55:52 AM »

Some context: from March onwards Billboard changed its ranking methodology to include Youtube streaming numbers; this is how Harlem Shake took the #1 spot after it became a meme. What was an attempt to better reflect consumer taste has, in my opinion, become a ways to flood the charts with music approved by teenagers and white people. In the end the biggest songs were "edgy," "controversial" or "misogynist," its dissemination kosher because a white guy's singing it.

Locked Out of Heaven because it's at least imitating something that has worked.
No one but teenagers with undersized brains listens to "singles" type music, and whites have the numbers and the money, so singles charts are supposed to reflect that.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2013, 09:57:23 AM »

Can't Hold Us had the catchiest hook and a horn section, both of which are positives, but it unfortunately featured Macklemore rapping, which is a huge negative. I voted for Just Give Me a Reason.
pugbug
Rookie
Canada

« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2013, 03:05:32 PM »

I'm terribly sorry to hear about what happened to your friend, and she is incredibly strong for persevering through what happened to her.

I feel awful for your friend, I really do, especially since I was also raped years ago and I have had to work very hard at dealing with my own triggers and coming to terms with the fact that I can't expect everyone else to be sensitive all the time.

I wasn't around for this, but people said the same thing back in the 80's about Judas Priest, that listening to their music triggered people who had attempted suicide or who lost a loved one to suicide. We now know that Judas Priest had nothing to do with anyone's suicide.

Also, AC/DC got sh**t for their song "Night Prowler" because that's what the media took to calling Richard Ramirez once he went to trial. Again, AC/DC had nothing to do with serial killing.

I understand that you're not going to like the song, I get that, but I can't help but feel that you and millions of other people have misplaced the blame when it comes to rape culture.
I'm only posting this because I am asking you to make sure your friend gets some kind of therapy, whether she has to pay for it or call a helpline everyday or whatever. She may be facing triggers her whole life, but you can help her avoid that by urging her to get professional help. If she's strong enough to tell you about it, she's strong enough to take that step and get help.
Foucaulf
« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2013, 04:23:45 PM »

No one but teenagers with undersized brains listens to "singles" type music, and whites have the numbers and the money, so singles charts are supposed to reflect that.

Not necessarily! Having read music bloggers from the anglosphere (in case the same does not apply to Germany), the relative cheapness of singles along with a music press willing to hype has yielded great things. It was through singles that punk, hip-hop and rave first breached mainstream consciousness, such that I can remember. More mundane is the idea of music "saving lives," which sure does happen.

I want to subscribe to this mentality that popular music is a force for social change. In good times it makes digestible worthy causes and perspectives; in bad times it reinforces ignorance. Then I would say 2013 was particularly bad because there was so little rhythmic innovation on the charts, so filled with white pop stars shouting over angry drums. Blurred Lines is also awful in that respect, though whether it deserves a particular status is questionable (apologies, of course, for my clinical language here).
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2013, 04:35:54 PM »

Out of those, The Monster. Favorite song of 2013? Without a doubt, Rap God.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2013, 05:59:13 PM »

My favorite cds of the year:

Bob Mould--Silver Age
Savages--Silence Yourself
Jason Isbell--Southeastern
North Mississippi All Stars--World Boogie Is Coming
Barrence Whitfield--Dig Thy Savage Soul

Arcade Fire--Reflektor grew on me, still too long.
Haim was a fun guilty pleasure.

Yeah, Silver Age is definitely one of the best this year (and probably Mould's best since Sugar).
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies