What was your favorite #1 hit in 2013?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:15:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  What was your favorite #1 hit in 2013?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Poll
Question: Songs in chronological order
"Locked Out of Heaven" by Bruno Mars
"Thrift Shop" by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis featuring Wanz
"Harlem Shake" by Baauer
"When I Was Your Man" by Bruno Mars
"Just Give Me a Reason" by Pink featuring Nate Ruess
"Can't Hold Us" by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis featuring Ray Dalton
"Blurred Lines" by Robin Thicke featuring T.I. and Pharrell
"Roar" by Katy Perry
"Wrecking Ball" by Miley Cyrus
"Royals" by Lorde
"The Monster" by Eminem featuring Rihanna
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: What was your favorite #1 hit in 2013?  (Read 3042 times)
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2013, 10:20:18 PM »

[7] "Locked Out of Heaven" by Bruno Mars     
[1] "Thrift Shop" by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis featuring Wanz         
[5] "Harlem Shake" by Baauer         
[6] "When I Was Your Man" by Bruno Mars         
[8] "Just Give Me a Reason" by Pink featuring Nate Ruess         
[3] "Can't Hold Us" by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis featuring Ray Dalton         
[11] "Blurred Lines" by Robin Thicke featuring T.I. and Pharrell         
[9] "Roar" by Katy Perry         
[10] "Wrecking Ball" by Miley Cyrus
[2] "Royals" by Lorde         
[4] "The Monster" by Eminem featuring Rihanna
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2013, 11:30:40 PM »
« Edited: December 29, 2013, 12:53:22 AM by Harry »

This thread has a few examples of the "Liberal Heroism" I was talking about a couple days ago.   "Blurred Lines" is not about a song about rape or sexual consent.

Do you honestly think a record company would release a song whose message seriously was "rape is OK?"  Do you think radio stations would play it?  Do you think it would become a hit, no matter how catchy it was?  Of course none of those things would happen.  There would be major backlash against the artists and record label, politicians and churches would be condemning it, it certainly wouldn't get Grammy votes, etc.  It would be thousands of times more than the minor Internet blog fauxrage the song got.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2013, 11:38:06 PM »

Wrecking Ball, by far
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #53 on: December 28, 2013, 11:51:32 PM »

Royals

Honorable Mention: Thrift Shop
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2013, 12:44:17 AM »

This thread has a few examples of the "Liberal Heroism" I was talking about a couple days ago.   "Blurred Lines" is not about a song about rape or sexual content.

Do you honestly think a record company would release a song whose message seriously was "rape is OK?"  Do you think radio stations would play it?  Do you think it would become a hit, no matter how catchy it was?  Of course none of those things would happen.  There would be major backlash against the artists and record label, politicians and churches would be condemning it, it certainly wouldn't get Grammy votes, etc.  It would be thousands of times more than the minor Internet blog fauxrage the song got.

If you think Blurred Lines is not about sexual content, I don't really know what to say...
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #55 on: December 29, 2013, 12:53:12 AM »
« Edited: December 29, 2013, 12:57:46 AM by Harry »

This thread has a few examples of the "Liberal Heroism" I was talking about a couple days ago.   "Blurred Lines" is not about a song about rape or sexual content.

If you think Blurred Lines is not about sexual content, I don't really know what to say...

<sheepish>  consent.  My mistake on the typing.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #56 on: December 29, 2013, 03:41:54 AM »

"I know you want it."
"You're a good girl."

What do these phrases have in common.
They are: a) what a male rapist commonly says to his victim to justify his actions; b) prominent lines from the song "Blurred Lines"
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #57 on: December 29, 2013, 04:37:59 AM »

"I know you want it."
"You're a good girl."

They are: a) what a male rapist commonly says to his victim to justify his actions; b) prominent lines from the song "Blurred Lines"
"It's Not OK To Be A Liberal Hero!"
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #58 on: December 29, 2013, 11:38:41 AM »

"I know you want it."
"You're a good girl."

... You could make the same argument for songs like "Vehicle" by Ides of March and "I Want You (She's So Heavy) by The Beatles.  Maybe instead of pulling random out-of-context lines out of the blue and assigning a meaning, we should look at all of the above lyrics in context.  You'll see that none of the above songs are about rape or consent.

Again, if "Blurred Lines" were about how rape is OK, it would have never been recorded, played on the radio, become popular, or gotten Grammy nominations.  IF it had been recorded, there would have been a HUGE outcry and massive protests.  Democratic and Republican politicians would have united to condemn it, every celebrity and activist group would be boycotting that record company.  Robin Thicke's career would be over.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #59 on: December 29, 2013, 11:59:38 AM »

Do you honestly think a record company would release a song whose message seriously was "rape is OK?"  Do you think radio stations would play it?  Do you think it would become a hit, no matter how catchy it was?

When it's got the rhythm/beat that it does along with how carefully written the lyrics are, yes.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #60 on: December 29, 2013, 12:04:17 PM »

Do you honestly think a record company would release a song whose message seriously was "rape is OK?"  Do you think radio stations would play it?  Do you think it would become a hit, no matter how catchy it was?

When it's got the rhythm/beat that it does along with how carefully written the lyrics are, yes.

So now "rhythm/beat" is an indictment? What?

What exactly is the solution here? Ban every track that may trigger horrid experiences to certain individuals?

Also, are we sure "Let's Get it On" was consensual guys?
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #61 on: December 29, 2013, 12:06:16 PM »

So now "rhythm/beat" is an indictment? What?

What exactly is the solution here? Ban every track that may trigger horrid experiences to certain individuals?

No, it's just easier not to notice the lyrical content of a song if the beat is catchy.

There isn't exactly a solution. The song can't be erased. It can't be undone. It can't be unrecorded. That's fine. Should Robin Thicke apologize? Maybe. Will he? Of course not. He made his money. The point is to condemn the song and get people to realize what it's actually about.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #62 on: December 29, 2013, 12:06:49 PM »

As awful as "Blurred Lines" is, someone who admittedly listens to METAL music of all things should not be bashing it. Glass houses and all that.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #63 on: December 29, 2013, 12:08:19 PM »

Should Robin Thicke apologize? Maybe. Will he? Of course not. He made his money. The point is to condemn the song and get people to realize what it's actually about.

As a previous Secretary of State put it, what difference would it make?
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #64 on: December 29, 2013, 12:08:47 PM »

Should Robin Thicke apologize? Maybe. Will he? Of course not. He made his money. The point is to condemn the song and get people to realize what it's actually about.

The sentiment?
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #65 on: December 29, 2013, 12:13:06 PM »

The sentiment?

Is that a question? Are you unsure of your answer?

What difference does the "sentiment" make? Some phony apology would make people feel better about it? You don't think that the song would still be a hit without the meaning being known? Hell, the controversy came along pretty quickly after the song was release and it still was a number one hit. The goddamn name is "Blurred Lines"!
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #66 on: December 29, 2013, 12:16:49 PM »

I'm sure of my answer, but I'm unsure if it will suffice for you. Nevertheless, it's more about the fact that a song with such lyrical content was eaten up en masse by the American populous.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #67 on: December 29, 2013, 12:23:11 PM »

There isn't exactly a solution. The song can't be erased. It can't be undone. It can't be unrecorded. That's fine. Should Robin Thicke apologize? Maybe. Will he? Of course not. He made his money. The point is to condemn the song and get people to realize what it's actually about.

The song isn't about rape.  Period.  You can't just make up a new meaning of a song to increase your Liberal Cred.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #68 on: December 29, 2013, 12:24:15 PM »

I'm sure of my answer, but I'm unsure if it will suffice for you. Nevertheless, it's more about the fact that a song with such lyrical content was eaten up en masse by the American populous.

Why do you think you have some special inside knowledge of what Robin Thicke "really meant" when virtually no one agrees with you?

AGAIN, if it were actually about rape there would have been massive protests and boycotts.  You can't deny that.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #69 on: December 29, 2013, 12:25:42 PM »

I mean the name of the song is "Blurred Lines" . . .
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #70 on: December 29, 2013, 12:26:24 PM »

Why do you think you have some special inside knowledge of what Robin Thicke "really meant" when virtually no one agrees with you?

AGAIN, if it were actually about rape there would have been massive protests and boycotts.  You can't deny that.

No one agrees with me? Okay. We'll put that to the test.

And again, you missed a pretty big nugget of what I said:

If he flat out said "I want to rape you" then yeah, that'd warrant boycotts, but if he says "i know you want it, you're a good girl" that's not as easily detected.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #71 on: December 29, 2013, 12:35:57 PM »

A rapist might look at a girl and think "I want you so bad, it's driving me mad!"

OMG THE BEATLES WROTE A SONG ABOUT RAPE.

On a serious note, look at the entire lyrics, not just single lines out of context.  Do you honestly think Robin Thicke fooled the record company, fooled all of the radio stations, fooled millions of people, fooled every Grammy voter, fooled virtually every politician or interest group that would take offense to an actual rape glorification song, fooled everyone in the country except for a few Internet Liberal Heroes like yourself? You honestly think that?
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #72 on: December 29, 2013, 12:50:14 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

that's just a selected bit.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #73 on: December 29, 2013, 01:45:22 PM »

Those lyrics are just some skeevy bro sh!t dude.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #74 on: December 29, 2013, 02:01:38 PM »

Voted thrift shop but actually prefer Royals.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies