What was your favorite #1 hit in 2013? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:13:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  What was your favorite #1 hit in 2013? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Songs in chronological order
"Locked Out of Heaven" by Bruno Mars
"Thrift Shop" by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis featuring Wanz
"Harlem Shake" by Baauer
"When I Was Your Man" by Bruno Mars
"Just Give Me a Reason" by Pink featuring Nate Ruess
"Can't Hold Us" by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis featuring Ray Dalton
"Blurred Lines" by Robin Thicke featuring T.I. and Pharrell
"Roar" by Katy Perry
"Wrecking Ball" by Miley Cyrus
"Royals" by Lorde
"The Monster" by Eminem featuring Rihanna
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: What was your favorite #1 hit in 2013?  (Read 3054 times)
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« on: December 27, 2013, 10:13:00 AM »

Tie between Thrift Shop and Harlem Shake. Voted Harlem Shake because that drop is filthy.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 01:33:59 PM »

Hate Blurred Lines completely... most Misogynist song I have ever heard... and thought we were in 2013.

Thank you
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 03:52:26 PM »

^ Saw that on Tumblr. Applauded loudly.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 07:13:04 PM »

Hate Blurred Lines completely... most Misogynist song I have ever heard... and thought we were in 2013.

Thank you

God, stop being such Liberals. I suppose you hate rap music for that reason too. Robin Thicke has three ways with Paula Patton. Have you f[inks]ing seen Paula Patton? That gives him a free pass to say what ever he wants in any song.

...except saying that he doesn't need a girl's consent in order to have sex with her. Could you imagine what that might do to a rape victim who just hears the song on the radio? "I know you want it, you're a good girl" is definitely not just a bubbly little lyric in a song, it's something that a rapist says. I don't care if it's Robin Thicke or Macklemore (whom I quite enjoy) or even Enter Shikari. Any band or artist that has lyrical content establishing sexual consent as an arbitrary boundary should be condemned.

And rap does have a problem with misogyny, yes. As does Grand Theft Auto 5 (which I just got for Christmas, and I'm appalled at how they just throw around the word 'rape' like it's just a slang word) But the thing about rap and GTA5 is that it's been a fight for years. Robin Thicke was never ever a misogynist, and all of the sudden he releases this song about not needing consent for sex. And I'm not excusing it in rap or GTA5, because it's wrong there too.

Robin Thicke doesn't need to be burned at the stake, he just needs to admit that the content to the song that has net him a f--kton of money is really, really awful.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 09:08:04 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Oh, really? How do you know this? Have you asked them?

Only on Tumblr, so there's that....

What does it matter where I saw it? Are you going to deny legitimacy of how a rape victim is triggered based on the fact that they have a Tumblr?
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2013, 11:56:10 PM »

Oh, really? How do you know this? Have you asked them?

Only on Tumblr, so there's that....

What does it matter where I saw it? Are you going to deny legitimacy of how a rape victim is triggered based on the fact that they have a Tumblr?

No, but it's impossible to take you seriously.

So you're not denying my argument, just discrediting it? Okay.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2013, 12:40:09 AM »

So cause of this whole tumblr thing y'all are going on about, let me tell you why I hate the song Blurred Lines.

My best friend was raped a few years ago, she never told anyone, she was ashamed and thought that it was her fault, that she triggered the attack and the rape. She was told to be quiet, the rapist told her that "You know you want it, what girl doesn't want to get laid?", she kept yelling for him to stop, but I guess telling someone "no" isn't a clear answer, they must want to have sex with you! In the song he refers to many things her attacker did to her, and the first time she heard the song in the radio, she had a panic attack and started crying uncontrollably, and I asked her what was wrong, and she explained what happened in 2011. Every time she hears the song she has a panic attack remembering what happened, and this song is the reason she has to be reminded of the traumatic event. I love her, she's like my sister, but this song has traumatized her and I don't know why someone would like a song after knowing her, and why it triggers these awful memories.

And she's not the only one, there are millions of women in the United States who have been raped and the song triggers awful memories, and this song is saying women want to have sex, that she really wants it, if she says no she really doesn't mean it, cause the word "no" is ambiguous, and I have nothing but hatred for this song and the terrible men who created it.

I'm terribly sorry to hear about what happened to your friend, and she is incredibly strong for persevering through what happened to her.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 11:59:38 AM »

Do you honestly think a record company would release a song whose message seriously was "rape is OK?"  Do you think radio stations would play it?  Do you think it would become a hit, no matter how catchy it was?

When it's got the rhythm/beat that it does along with how carefully written the lyrics are, yes.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2013, 12:06:16 PM »

So now "rhythm/beat" is an indictment? What?

What exactly is the solution here? Ban every track that may trigger horrid experiences to certain individuals?

No, it's just easier not to notice the lyrical content of a song if the beat is catchy.

There isn't exactly a solution. The song can't be erased. It can't be undone. It can't be unrecorded. That's fine. Should Robin Thicke apologize? Maybe. Will he? Of course not. He made his money. The point is to condemn the song and get people to realize what it's actually about.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2013, 12:08:47 PM »

Should Robin Thicke apologize? Maybe. Will he? Of course not. He made his money. The point is to condemn the song and get people to realize what it's actually about.

As a previous Secretary of State put it, what difference would it make?

The sentiment?
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2013, 12:16:49 PM »

I'm sure of my answer, but I'm unsure if it will suffice for you. Nevertheless, it's more about the fact that a song with such lyrical content was eaten up en masse by the American populous.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2013, 12:26:24 PM »

I'm sure of my answer, but I'm unsure if it will suffice for you. Nevertheless, it's more about the fact that a song with such lyrical content was eaten up en masse by the American populous.

Why do you think you have some special inside knowledge of what Robin Thicke "really meant" when virtually no one agrees with you?

AGAIN, if it were actually about rape there would have been massive protests and boycotts.  You can't deny that.

No one agrees with me? Okay. We'll put that to the test.

And again, you missed a pretty big nugget of what I said:

When it's got the rhythm/beat that it does along with how carefully written the lyrics are, yes.

If he flat out said "I want to rape you" then yeah, that'd warrant boycotts, but if he says "i know you want it, you're a good girl" that's not as easily detected.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2013, 12:50:14 PM »

that's just a selected bit.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies