Canadian by-elections, 2014
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:25:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canadian by-elections, 2014
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 31
Author Topic: Canadian by-elections, 2014  (Read 59780 times)
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #350 on: May 04, 2014, 10:31:25 PM »

Would the ruling on citizens living in foreign countries would apply to those by-elections (context: a Court ruled than removing the right of vote to citizens living in foreign coutries since more than 5 years was unconstitionnal. That would lead to one million of persons possibly added on rolls.)?

I am guessing in this case they would go by the last riding one lived in when they left Canada.  My question is what about those who have never lived in Canada but got citizenship by being born to a Canadian born parent, what happens then?

No clue. Most likely government or Elections Canada will have to find a solution (or appeal, as the judge refused to grant them a stay).
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #351 on: May 04, 2014, 10:54:33 PM »

Would the ruling on citizens living in foreign countries would apply to those by-elections (context: a Court ruled than removing the right of vote to citizens living in foreign coutries since more than 5 years was unconstitionnal. That would lead to one million of persons possibly added on rolls.)?

I am guessing in this case they would go by the last riding one lived in when they left Canada.  My question is what about those who have never lived in Canada but got citizenship by being born to a Canadian born parent, what happens then?

No clue. Most likely government or Elections Canada will have to find a solution (or appeal, as the judge refused to grant them a stay).

One solution might be to have overseas constituencies like France and Italy do that way you wouldn't have the issue of people voting in ridings they no longer live in, but they will still be able to exercise their right to vote.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #352 on: May 04, 2014, 11:07:48 PM »

Most likely they'd get to choose their riding, much like prisoners or military personnel.
Citizen Hats
lol-i-wear-hats
Canada

« Reply #353 on: May 05, 2014, 12:03:15 AM »

Apparently for American citizens in such a situation you vote from your parents last address
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #354 on: May 05, 2014, 07:03:54 AM »

This may sound surprising coming from me, but I oppose the ruling. If you don't live in Canada, you shouldn't get a say in our affairs. The right to vote should be attached more to residency than citizenship, in my opinion. I'd rather a landed immigrant be granted the vote.

Having said that, I only oppose the ruling in terms of it being something I disagree with, I do agree that the law is unconstitutional. I am now convinced that barring the Chief Electoral Officer and his Deputy from voting is also unconstitutional. However, they are unlikely to file a suit.

One solution might be to have overseas constituencies like France and Italy do that way you wouldn't have the issue of people voting in ridings they no longer live in, but they will still be able to exercise their right to vote.

If they do this, it would be hypocritical, as the government was quite upset when France decided to put Canada in one of its electoral districts.

Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #355 on: May 08, 2014, 11:17:47 AM »

In that case, you have members who don't even live in the country for which they're parliamentarians. That strikes me as undesirable.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #356 on: May 11, 2014, 09:26:27 AM »
« Edited: May 11, 2014, 09:32:17 AM by RogueBeaver »

4 federals are called for June 30. Not Whitby-Oshawa.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #357 on: May 11, 2014, 10:13:05 AM »

I wonder if the Tories are worried about losing Whitby-Oshawa and if that happened it could hurt Harper's leadership.  If he puts it off enough and loses there won't be time to dump him and choose a new leader so that may be the reason, although it could also be timing as he has more time on that one.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #358 on: May 11, 2014, 10:15:30 AM »

ROFLMAO.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #359 on: May 11, 2014, 11:27:23 AM »

Gives enough of a buffer between the Ontario provincial election and the by-elections. Will be pretty confusing though for voters.

I wish Harper would've held off on the Ontario by-elections until the Fall.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #360 on: May 11, 2014, 11:28:31 AM »

Also, no Whitby-Oshawa by-election because the Tories don't have any candidates lined up yet.
trebor204
TREBOR204

« Reply #361 on: May 11, 2014, 12:22:46 PM »

The Ontario by-elections could have waited until the fall (after the provincial election). However, you are going to run into the municipal elections.

If you only call the 2 Alberta by-elections (Conservative ridings), the opposition will accuse the party of playing games by not calling by-elections in the former NDP, Liberal and Conservative ridings.

Had there not had a election call in Ontario, I would expect the by-elections to be called earlier in June.

However, you can have by-elections running at the same time as General elections

Case in Point:

During the 2004 Federal Election, residents in one  provincial riding in Winnipeg, had to vote in 3 separate elections / by-elections within 1 week.

The mayor at that time, Glen Murray (Now, Transport Minister Ontario), resign his seat and ran (and lost) for the Federal Liberals in Winnipeg. This started a chain reaction in resignations of Provincial MLA, City Councillors, and School Trustees. 

Tuesday June 22nd:
1)  2 Provincial by-elections were held (one in Winnipeg and one in Rural Manitoba)
2) City-wide by-election for Mayor, along with a couple of City Councillors and School Trustees

Since these elections were separate, voters had to travel to 2 polling stations (one local, one provincial)

Monday June 28th
Federal General Election
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #362 on: May 11, 2014, 12:46:34 PM »

I wonder if the Tories are worried about losing Whitby-Oshawa and if that happened it could hurt Harper's leadership.  If he puts it off enough and loses there won't be time to dump him and choose a new leader so that may be the reason, although it could also be timing as he has more time on that one.

I don't think there's any danger of a coup right now.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #363 on: May 11, 2014, 01:05:20 PM »

Early September would've worked for the Ontario by-elections as it would be far enough removed from the municipals.

Speaking of chain reactions, I think the most recent example of that was when Coderre resigned to run for mayor of Montreal. You had a by-election in Bourassa, then in neighbouring Viau (okay, no overlap, but caused by their MNA running in Bourassa) then the Montreal municipal election.
warandwar
United States

« Reply #364 on: May 11, 2014, 02:07:09 PM »

Early September would've worked for the Ontario by-elections as it would be far enough removed from the municipals.

Speaking of chain reactions, I think the most recent example of that was when Coderre resigned to run for mayor of Montreal. You had a by-election in Bourassa, then in neighbouring Viau (okay, no overlap, but caused by their MNA running in Bourassa) then the Montreal municipal election.

This stuff happens in the U. S. all the time. Most recently, John Kerrey was made SoS, so Rep. Ed Markey ran (and won) in the Senate special election, leading to a special in MA-05 (Markey's district), which was won by Katherine Clark, a state senator. Her seat in the state senate was won in a special election by Jason Lewis, a state representative, meaning there'll be another special election in a few months, for his state house seat.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #365 on: May 11, 2014, 02:22:40 PM »

Yes, which often leads to the hilarity of having two elections for the same seat on the same day.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #366 on: May 11, 2014, 06:18:19 PM »

Probably true at the moment, but I suspect those east of the Ottawa River where the Tories are polling quite poorly and those who narrowly won in 2011 are a bit nervous at this point.  Since 2013 was only the mid point and often governments do poorly at the midway points, many were hoping the party would recover, but if by the end of this year they haven't started to at least partially recover, I suspect there will be more pushing for Harper to go.  Maybe not enough to push him out, but enough to weaken the unity.
I don't think there's any danger of a coup right now.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #367 on: May 16, 2014, 10:36:17 PM »

Frank Whitehead, MLA for The Pas, Manitoba (NDP) has resigned. So, shall we expect a winter  by-election? Tongue
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #368 on: May 17, 2014, 08:48:01 AM »

Vaughan leads 54/31 in Trinity-Spadina, Chan 46/38 in SA per Forum.
Njall
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -5.91

« Reply #369 on: May 17, 2014, 08:14:58 PM »

John Barlow also has 62% in Macleod, apparently (down from Menzies' 77.5% in 2011).  It's disappointing that Forum couldn't get a reliable sample for Fort McMurray--Athabasca - if anything, that's going to be the Alberta riding to watch.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #370 on: May 27, 2014, 10:16:31 AM »

Will Jimmy K's indifference towards his party's nominee cost the Grits in SA?
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #371 on: June 08, 2014, 07:36:07 PM »

Man, if NDP lose Trinity-Spadina and the provincial election ends up the way it seems to be heading, I'll just pack up my bags for California sooner rather than later.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #372 on: June 08, 2014, 07:50:09 PM »

Man, if NDP lose Trinity-Spadina and the provincial election ends up the way it seems to be heading, I'll just pack up my bags for California sooner rather than later.

Ahh, the state of Nixon and Reagan? And... Orange County?

Citizen Hats
lol-i-wear-hats
Canada

« Reply #373 on: June 08, 2014, 10:25:43 PM »

Ahh, the state of Nixon and Reagan? And... Orange County?

Sort if the same thing in reverse really.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #374 on: June 09, 2014, 06:59:26 AM »

Moving to the US would be a deal breaker for any relationship I'm in (sorry, Holmes). As liberal as parts of California are, even with Tim Hudak as Premier, Ontario would be a better place. At least we'd still have universal health care.

Oh, and the Liberals winning Trinity-Spadina may be awful, but not quite as awful as many California Democrats.

I suppose if you're wealthy though, California is a better place to go.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 31  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies